PDA

View Full Version : Family Reunions and Pool

Barbara
08-04-2002, 10:58 AM
First, a little background. I have 5 brothers and two sisters. (Catholics, can you tell?) My one sister lives in Scotland and she comes over every summer for a fortnight and a half. I have one brother who lives in CA and and another who lives in Dallas and didn't make it out this year from something that happened at the last minute. (this would've been the first time in 14 years the whole fam would've been together, rats!) The rest of my siblings live in the immediate area of my folks. We all have been gathering at my folks' house this past weekend where they have resided for the past 52 years. In fact, my father designed and had the house built in 1950. In '56 he added a 3 bedroom addition to the house (we still to this day call it "the addition") and in '77 he added a pool room to the back of the house. We could never figure out why he did this back then since we never knew he played. He never told us that he used to work with Jimmy Caras in the Philly shipyards during WWII and that Steve Mizerak was his favorite player. But the mystery of why he had this room added in '77 was revealed to me yesterday.

So I call up last Thursday night to talk with Mom and see what the agenda is going to be for the weekend. My brother from CA answers the phone and immediately says he hasn't picked up a cue since we battled on the table last year when he came from behind, 6-2 to beat me 7-6 in a match of 9-ball. He's chompng at the bit to crush me again. A little background - he's my second oldest brother, 52 years old, highly competitive, will never admit that I swim faster than he does (25.4 for 50 yd freestyle), and a COO of a newly started up cell phone game company in the Bay area. Did I mention highly competitive? This guy's a shark. Has to win at everything. C.C. would have a blast with him. And if he had moved to LV instead of CA I would set something up for them next May. I would even sell tickets.

So he's already got the excuse out that he hasn't been playing.

I bring my Ted Harris S/P over Friday. No action, just conversation and catching up with each other over the year.

Yesterday was action day.

My little bro and Paul go into the pool room. Instead of going down to the swimming pool, I decide to watch a little action. Rack Boy (my term of endearment for my little bro) is losing to Paul in a game of 8-ball. Paul is playing exceptionally well. Making great cut shots and generally getting okay shape. He does know how to play pool and used to play a lot while at Cornell.

After that game's over I retrieve my cue from the house and suggest a little game of Cut Throat. So we lag and I win so I break and make nothing. Here's where the nieces and nephews sniff that somethng's goiing down in the pool room and they start to dribble in one at a time. Paul and Phil proceed to unify against me and declare their set of balls and shoot my set off the table. And in the first game, they succeeded to eliminate me from the game before I got a chance to shoot. Until Philip scratched, that is. I got one ball spotted and came real close to winning and shutting them down when Paul got good shape on my ball and knocked me out again. All the while my two brothers are saying, "Remember who the better pool player is and let's knock her out." And all the while my nieces and nephews are saying. "Just miss the ball already and let Aunty Barbara shoot."

Nieces and nephews. gotta love 'em. After all, I can't leave it all to the cats.

So it ended up I won 5 games to Paul's 2 and Philip had a doughnut. He left the room and Paul, still hungry to wallop me, challenged me to a single game of 8-ball.

I break, make nothing and Paul misses his first shot. He makes some excuse that he's getting bothered with some water stuck in his eardrum. The nieces smell blood (they're 10 and 8) and start woofing at Paul that excuses are weak and to just miss already so Aunty Barbara can shoot.

Eventually I give BIH to Paul and he runs down to the 8-ball but misses, leaving it along a short rail. I missed a rail shot but left the CB not in a verys good spot where Paul has a really bad thin cut on the 8. Paul knows how dicey this shot is already making excuses. The nieces are getting restless. Paul overcuts the 8-ball, and proceeds to leave me in perfect shape to get out with my one ball left on the table. Paul then proceeds to sweep the 8-ball in the pocket to concede game while my nieces cheer me on.

We clean up the table in silence (I know better than to rattle the cage of a tiger) and lock up the pool room. We join the others by the pool and I let Paul's wife know how badly I kicked his tail. She giggles. She knows how much that stung. Philip's wife even remarked, "What were you thinking?".

So this is why Dad had this room built. I finally got my revenge on my brothers that used to repress me with their achivements all through my life. Ha!!

Sorry this was so long. I'm going back there now. More humiliation is coming.

Barbara~~~the look on a 52 YO COO's face when he misses - PRICELESS!!!

PQQLK9
08-04-2002, 11:04 AM
How "SWEET" it is!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy
08-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Great family story..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Where in the Bay area is Paul located ??
And does he play pool when he's "home" ??

Troy...~~~ Just curious

Harold Acosta
08-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Nice story, Barb! Bet you've been smiling all day long!

Barbara
08-04-2002, 06:13 PM
So Paul really, really wants another piece of me. As soon as I get over there, he says, "I'm getting a soda, let's play some 8-ball."

I cringe.

The last time (excluding Saturday) I played him one-on-one, (two years ago) he threw a hissy fit when Philip was watching with then 2-yo son Zachary in his arms crying and squiriming. Paul swore that Zach was sharking him and that's when I dropped 5/6 games to him in 9-ball to lose 7-6 to make him happy. After all, he's using Philip's cue and just about made another "new section" out of it every time he missed.

So I go down to the pool (swimming) area and call Philip out to join us for some more Cut Throat. Philip agrees. I walk into the house and see nephew Nicky. Nicky's dad is not into the pool game (could be a Pro golfer if he had the right situation) and informs me that "Paul has been practicing all morning and is warmed up for you." The little spy he is. Plus, he's got his "dibs" on my car when he gets his driver's license. So does Victoria ('Toria -> Philip's little girl, so they'll have to duke it out), but that's how that goes. Aunty Barbara drives all the cool cars. They all ride in minivans.

So Philip comes up, Paul's still warming up, I'm putting my cues together (Ted Harris S/P and Bob Frey BK) and the crowd comes in to watch.

Philip wins the first game. He's actually playing pretty good because yesterday, he couldn't buy a ball. I'm missing everything I'm shooting at which gives Paul a lot of happiness. But Paul is not shooting well, either, and he starts on his act. "A little cheese with that whine, Paul?". And the two nieces (both Philip's daughters) are on my side. Plus, my golfing-brother's two sons are rooting for me, too. They're all now vying for my car.

Add to that, little Zachary and Mommy (Philip's wife and the little soon-to-be-5 boy) are watching. And Zach's a little wiggle worm and can't sit still on Mommy's lap.

Zach starts crawling on the floor around the table. "Quick Zach! Jump up!". Which Zach does, right in front of Philip, when Philip is pulling the trigger. Philip misses, and Zach is put back on Mommy's lap. Okay, maybe I should've said that, but I didn't figure Zach would listen to me. He doesn't see me that often, but is really impressed with big Uncle "Peter-bear".

I'm still missing everything.

Philip's up 2-0-0.

Philip wins the next game, too. Great shots have been made, and I have complimented all parties making them.

Philip's up 3-0-0.

Then it's the 4th game. Philip makes a whopping break, everything's out in the open and I am the incoming player. I proceed to run the table. When I get down to the last middle ball, I declare high balls (they're all still on the table) and shoot the 8 in. Didn't even give Paul a chance at the table. All the nieces and nephews are cheering me. It's hilarious!! After that, I won the last 3 games we played. Paul is shut out. He vows vindication, he'll get me at 14.1 later on this week before he leaves Thursday.

I'll be practicing. I have confidence, even though I don't play 14.1 as often as I should.

Barbara~~~having too much fun with the siblings AND the nieces and nephews...

Barbara
08-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Troy,

I have no idea where they're renting, although Paul mentioned it was near the "Industrial Area" where they were renting offices so he could bike there instead of driving. He doesn't play at any hall because he'd rather play golf (he is very good at golf) than pool so there's where that goes. He just is a competitor/alpha male and can't stand to lose too much.

If you ever see a red Acura NXS, that's probably him. But he is nice (he's intellectually snobby) and liked my Trans Am a lot. I'll probably let him test drive it, too - before we play each other at pool again.

Barbara

08-04-2002, 07:37 PM
Quote: Barbara: I proceed to run the table.
================================================== ========
Sounds like you gettin' back in stroke /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing those stories Barbara. I think we've all been in a similar situation at one time or another. Sorry to borrow your line but the look on your brother's face had to be..."PRICELESS" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif LMAO

Please please let us know the outcome of the straight pool match.

Wally~~laughing his *** off /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Chris Cass
08-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Barbara,

Sounds like your having the time of your life. That's great to here. You deserve it after all your hard work with school. You also deserve to play well too after the sacrifice you've made for good grades. Give them kids big hugs. They sound very much in love with you, and your car. LOL

Hey, want to have some fun? Put a note in your back pocket before you play. Put on the note, "I'm letting Paul win today, because I beat him the last 2 times." Keep it there just in case things don't go your way and he rubs it in. hahaha He won't know what to say and want you bad.

My guess is you'll win in the straight pool too. I'm thinking your in a great mood and your focus is in gear. Matter of fact, I'm willing to say you'll torture Paul. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~proud of Barbara.

Barbara
08-05-2002, 09:05 AM
I'll have to do that thing with the note! Man, that'll really p*ss him off!!! Thanks Chris!

Barbara

Rich R.
08-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Barbara, if it comes time to use that note, may I suggest you hand it to the nieces and nephews and not to your brother. The word will travel through the family faster that way. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
You could quietly put your cue away, pretending to be mad. Hand the note to the kids and walk out of the room.
I may be a little warped, but I think it would be hilarious.
Rich R.

Barbara
08-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Hey Rich! Nice touch! Thanks!! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Then they can all give him the loser sign in unison!

Barbara~~~the nieces got real good at doing that "L" thing on their forehead...

Chris Cass
08-05-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Barbara,

I think you'll win anyway but if fate has your loss. He might take it too far if you do give him the note. I don't know Paul and don't know what his reaction would be. If it's all about fun? I see it as just getting even for throwing the 8ball in the hole and taking the joy of the win out of your match earlier.

But, if this causes family trouble? I was wrong and shouldn't be telling you stuff like that. I don't want to be the one who causes bad feeling between relatives. I was only thinking in jest.

Regards,

C.C.~~what have I done?

Barbara
08-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Don't worry about it, Chris. Paul's been a pretty good sport all along this past weekend. If he can keep his control when 4 nieces and nephews give him the forefinger and thumb "Lame" sign, then a little note won't do anything worse.

Besides, I doubt they'll be around since it'll have to be on some weeknight.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
08-05-2002, 01:37 PM
I really had fun with that read Barb! You are blessed in that family of yours, starting with Dear Ol' Dad putting in the room, added are the reasons becoming apparent later. Oh yea, you gotta love those nephews and nieces. I cracked up everytime I read, "Just miss the ball already and let Aunty Barbara shoot."

Fun read...sid

Barbara
08-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Sid, although it was a bit long-winded.

Yeah, gotta love those nieces and nephews. BTW, the two nieces are Philip's little girls and they were rooting against their own father!! Hey! That's girl power for ya!!

Barbara~~~still cracking up...

Eric.
08-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Why do they keep score! (Vince Lombardi)

I love the stories, I think alot of us can relate! Personally, I don't see the harm of some friendly/not so friendly competition-it keeps the family tight. After all, if you have a "score to settle", there is another reason for getting to the Annual, right?

Sid_Vicious
08-05-2002, 02:12 PM
What'd they say when you sank that winning ball...sid

Barbara
08-05-2002, 02:21 PM
"Daddy lost again!"

But they only did the "loser" sign to Paul. Philip threatened them.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
08-05-2002, 02:28 PM
LMAO! I gots'ta wonder what "Dad's Face" said at that moment. Beware Barbara, you've got a vendetta coming your way, and hopefully the same rail birds on your side...sid~~~sure be fun being in the peanut gallery as a kid again