PDA

View Full Version : "Surge" Working But Only for Profiteering Pigs

Gayle in MD
02-02-2008, 11:37 AM
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/11/halliburton200711?printable=true&currentPage=all

<font color="red">From the Article...well worth reading in full, at this link. </font color>

At the same time, the Bush administration has special sensitivities to claims concerning KBR and its former parent company, Halliburton. Dick Cheney's deep connection with the firm is well established. It is less widely known that former attorney general Alberto Gonzales, the Cabinet member who headed the Justice Department until August, when he was forced to resign, also has long-standing links with both Halliburton and its legal counsel, the venerable Texas firm of Vinson &amp; Elkins.

Grayson says that all the qui tam suits he has filed against Halliburton and KBR have been defended by attorneys from V&amp;E. In 1982 it was V&amp;E that gave Gonzales his first job as a lawyer. Nine years later he became one of the firm's first minority partners—a promotion that his biographer Bill Minutaglio would single out as "the defining moment of his life." In 2000, Gonzales amassed a record $843,680 war chest to finance a race for the Texas Supreme Court, even though he had no Democratic opponent. V&amp;E, which had already represented Halliburton for many years, was the source of his biggest donation—almost $30,000. Halliburton executives also stepped up, with a gift of $3,000.

The Justice Department declined to answer detailed questions about the qui tam cases, saying, "We cannot comment on the number of cases that are under investigation or under seal." In an e-mail, a spokesman wrote, "We do not agree with any statement that might suggest that the Department is not giving these cases due consideration for political or other improper reasons, and there is no support for such a conclusion." The cases, he added, "arise from allegations of fraud in a war zone, where acquiring evidence is necessarily more time consuming and complex."

Whatever the government's reason for keeping the qui tam cases under seal, its secrecy has so far obscured the true picture of alleged fraud in Iraq. For now, only slivers of the whole are visible—thanks to the handful of cases that have been opened to scrutiny.

"In my mind, one of the basic reasons, maybe even the basic reason, why the war has gone badly is war profiteering," says Grayson. "You could say that the only people who have benefited from the invasion of Iraq are al-Qaeda, Iran, and Halliburton. America has spent so much money that we literally could have hired every single adult Iraqi and it would have cost less than what it has cost to conduct this war through U.S. military forces and contractors."

In Grayson's view, a nightmare combination of jacked-up bids, waste, kickbacks, and inflated subcontracts means that as much as half the value of every contract he has seen "ends up being fraudulent in one way or another." He adds, "Cumulatively, the amount that's been spent on contractors in the four-plus years of the war is now over $100 billion. Pick any number between 10 percent and 50 percent—I don't think you can seriously argue that the scale of the fraud is less than 10 percent. Either way, you're talking cumulatively about something between $10 and $50 billion."

Indeed, in February, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform got the news from Pentagon auditors that contractors in Iraq had claimed at least $10 billion—three times more than previous official estimates—in expenditures that were either unreasonably high or unsupported by proper documentation. Of this amount, $2.7 billion had been billed to the government by KBR.

<font color="red">When will Americans finally begin to grasp that our troops are surely dying for the profits of the Bush/Cheney/Baker/Bush Sr./bin Laden's family/Gonzales/Rice/Feith and other war mongering Profiteers, and for nothing which has benefitted our country. While one in every five, of our troops, are returning with brain damage, and over 30,000 grievously injured, permanently, there is obvious proof in news accounts that to this day, only three of the Iraq political benchmarks have been met, the same number since before the surge began.

The "Surge" is NOT working. There has been a huge increase in Iraqi civilian deaths, and we have yet to learn how many Pakistani civilians were killed last week, or what response we may face due to the massive bombing which took place in Pakistan.

In the midst of this mess, revelations of late show that the 9/11 commission intentionally deleted evidence of Condoleeza Rice's incompetence as NSA, and as shown in the interview with Henry Waxmann, on this weeks Bill Moyers Journal, (to be repeated several times over the week on your local PBS channels, btw) Rice, as Secretary of State, doesn't think it's her job to stay abreast of the billions we're losing due to corrupt contracting overcharges, although she is the Secretary of State. Why would she be concerned, when she and all of the Bush Administration insiders have long histories, and stocks in those very companies?

This War is the ultimate carnage against the United States Of America. It is a criminal activity, paid for by innocent American Heroes, against the best interests of our country, and the Iraqis, in order to benefit the wealthy hidden corporate fascist pigs who have taken over our country, with the help of Dick Cheney, George Bush, I &amp; II, the right wing neocons and their resident sheep, who are so damned dumb that they actually defend the very people who are destraying this country from within.

Gayle in Md.
So Proud I Never Voted For George Bush, I or II. </font color>

bamadog
02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>

<font color="red">When will Americans finally begin to grasp that our troops are surely dying for the profits of the Bush/Cheney/Baker/Bush Sr./bin Laden's family/Gonzales/Rice/Feith and other war mongering Profiteers, and for nothing which has benefitted our country.
The "Surge" is NOT working.

Gayle in Md.
So Proud I Never Voted For George Bush, I or II. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

It must be such a comfort to our wounded heroes when you feed them your garbage.
You are truly a delusional hater. I don't understand why you are allowed anywhere near our wounded who have sacrificed so much for you, and this country.

LWW
02-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Sweetheart, there you go practicing "DOUBLETHINK" again.

You know, you believe this crap with your concious mind like a good little sheeple ... yet you also know with your concious mind that neither Bush nor Cheney profit from Halliburton stock while George Soros and Michael Moore live like Kings and Queens when our soldiers live in alleys on pork and beans.

Why do you continue to willingly and knowingly and seditiously and maliciously lie about our national leaders during time of war and at the same time lie to cover for the true war profiteers?

We all know the reason Gaylie ... you are merely the head bot here. But a bot, wound up and lips loaded each day by the DNC, nonetheless.

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 07:10 AM
As Bush &amp; company constantly change their reasons
for the occupation of a Muslim nation, neo-cons simply re-adjust their thinking to believe that was the reason all along.
As BOOOSH"s associates continue to be indicted or
exposed, as the lies and corruption continues to emerge, neo-cons simply substitute the word Clinton for Bush.
As arguments about global warming continue to grow, they re-define the argument, all the time saying, " I NEVER said it wasn't happening."
They mocked Clinton's ," Define sex" but have no trouble saying, " Define torture".
When they think about 9/11 they simply substitute the word Iraqui for Saudi.
When the Patriot Act tries unlimited wiretapping, search &amp; seizure without warrants, they convince themselves freedom isn't free.
When our heart aches for the deaths of our kids in Iraq, they scream, " Why do you hate our troops?"
I could go on and on with examples of doublethink.
Thanks for bringing it up, LWW.

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> As Bush &amp; company constantly change their reasons
for the occupation of a Muslim nation, neo-cons simply re-adjust their thinking to believe that was the reason all along.<hr /></blockquote>
Agreed, and inconsistency is never good.

Where is your vitriol for those who were for that war before they were against that war and against that surge until that surge worked and declared our Marines to be murderers at Haditha?

You see hondo, I can't stand both sets of behavior.

You condemn one and give a pass to the other.

That's why partisanship is dangerous.

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> As BOOOSH"s associates continue to be indicted or
exposed, as the lies and corruption continues to emerge, neo-cons simply substitute the word Clinton for Bush. <hr /></blockquote>
And as they are indicted and convicted they should be fined and jailed.

That's how conservatives handle their own when they go astray.

In the DNC they promote you to a leadership position.

I detest illegal behavior wherever it comes fro.

You, OTOH, again give one side a pass.

That's why partisanship is dangerous.

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> As arguments about global warming continue to grow, they re-define the argument, all the time saying, " I NEVER said it wasn't happening."<hr /></blockquote>
Actually the garnering of more science has shot the idea that man is causing it full of holes and the tree huggers have refined the coming cataclysm from "ICE AGE" to a version of "DANTE'S INFERNO" so you have nothing to stand on to defend the Goremons against the people who can see a snake oil salesman for what he is.

Of course, snake oil salesman have always done well.

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> They mocked Clinton's ," Define sex" but have no trouble saying, " Define torture".<hr /></blockquote>
Sex and torture have very defined meanings within the law.

The left has redefined words for the brainwashing of their sheeple.

Are you proud that it worked with you?

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When they think about 9/11 they simply substitute the word Iraqui for Saudi.<hr /></blockquote>
I've not seen this.

Perhaps you can show me an example?

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When the Patriot Act tries unlimited wiretapping, search &amp; seizure without warrants, they convince themselves freedom isn't free.<hr /></blockquote>
Then why do you blindly support the DNC congress which is approving of it?

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When our heart aches for the deaths of our kids in Iraq, they scream, " Why do you hate our troops?"<hr /></blockquote>
Again, an example?

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I could go on and on with examples of doublethink.
Thanks for bringing it up, LWW.<hr /></blockquote>

I know you can brother, and I'm glad to help.

You know hondo, I love you kind of like a crazy brother.

You argue with emotion from the heart ... but you never like to be confused by the facts.

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:32 AM
One last thing?

In a thread about war profiteering pigs ... why aren't you attacking the war profiteering pigs such as Soros and Moore?

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> As arguments about global warming continue to grow, they re-define the argument, all the time saying, " I NEVER said it wasn't happening."<hr /></blockquote>
Actually the garnering of more science has shot the idea that man is causing it full of holes and the tree huggers have refined the coming cataclysm from "ICE AGE" to a version of "DANTE'S INFERNO" so you have nothing to stand on to defend the Goremons against the people who can see a snake oil salesman for what he is.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Wrong! True science is proving the opposite.
The White House is doing their best to suppress the truth.
BTW, are you on here 24/7?

hondo
02-03-2008, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> They mocked Clinton's ," Define sex" but have no trouble saying, " Define torture".<hr /></blockquote>
Sex and torture have very defined meanings within the law.

The left has redefined words for the brainwashing of their sheeple.

Are you proud that it worked with you?

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Define "sheeple". Would you &amp; Hippie have the same definition?

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Well, we both have said you were ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> As arguments about global warming continue to grow, they re-define the argument, all the time saying, " I NEVER said it wasn't happening."<hr /></blockquote>

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Wrong! True science is proving the opposite.
The White House is doing their best to suppress the truth.
BTW, are you on here 24/7? <hr /></blockquote>
I take turns in shifts with Rove, Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld.

Guess which one I am now?

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When they think about 9/11 they simply substitute the word Iraqui for Saudi.<hr /></blockquote>
I've not seen this.

Perhaps you can show me an example?

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

It must be such a comfort to our wounded heroes when you feed them your garbage.
You are truly a delusional hater. I don't understand why you are allowed anywhere near our wounded who have sacrificed so much for you, and this country.
A quote from your buddy in this thread. How's that?

LWW
02-03-2008, 09:16 AM
The post from Gayle that he responded to doesn't even vaguely resemble the situation you described ... but you knew that.

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When our heart aches for the deaths of our kids in Iraq, they scream, " Why do you hate our troops?"<hr /></blockquote>
Again, an example?

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

This was the question I meant to respond to in my last post. Sorry.

bamadog
02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When our heart aches for the deaths of our kids in Iraq, they scream, " Why do you hate our troops?"<hr /></blockquote>
Again, an example?

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

This was the question I meant to respond to in my last post. Sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

As usual, you make no sense.

hondo
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> When our heart aches for the deaths of our kids in Iraq, they scream, " Why do you hate our troops?"<hr /></blockquote>
Again, an example?

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

A quote from your buddy in this thread. How's that?
Happy, Snoopy?

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I agree with the Dawg then on that.

I find it staggering that our troops are subjected to the rants of mad people.

Myself, I'd prefer to be waterboarded.

LWW

Drop1
02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Thought you had been.

LWW
02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
No, but having to explain graduate level concepts to simian level thinkers like yourself makes me wish I had been some days.

Have some peanuts?

LWW

Qtec
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
web page (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6621523/)

[ QUOTE ]
Iraq’s U.S. administrator, Paul Bremer, pledged last year to hire a certified public accounting firm to ensure proper controls. But the United States gave the contract not to an accounting firm but to a tiny consulting company, Northstar — which NBC News found is headquartered at a private home near San Diego.

"They violated the rules. They picked a contractor who didn’t meet their requirements," says Paul Light, a government contracting expert and professor at New York University.

Northstar’s president says the Pentagon knew Northstar was not a certified public accounting firm and that four experienced employees went to Iraq and did a good job. However, one audit notes that a single Northstar employee maintained spreadsheets tracking billions of dollars.

Bremer would not comment. His aides say Iraq is a war zone and their top priority was getting money quickly where it was needed, even if the accounting wasn't perfect.

But NBC News has learned that a draft government audit faults the United States for “inadequate stewardship” of up to $8.8 billion in oil money, handed over to Iraq’s ministries but never fully accounted for. <hr /></blockquote>

Q

LWW
02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
So, Iraqis robbed Iraqis and ... ?

LWW

hondo
02-04-2008, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> Well, I agree with the Dawg then on that.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

You AGREE WITH DAWG!!!! I'm shocked! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I repeat, "When our hearts ache for the death of our kids,
they rant'Why do you hate our troops?' "
I know doublethink when I see it.
You, however, my friend, are clueless.
You seem to think that anybody who doesn't swallow BOOOSH's war propaganda is guilty of doublethink.
Have you ever read the book? I taught it for 30 years.
Orwell must be spinning in his grave to think Big Brother's followers are accusing the opposition of doublethink.

Gayle in MD
02-04-2008, 08:28 AM
He's a real no where man, living in a no where land...

That song fits him to a tee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LWW
02-04-2008, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> He's a real no where man, living in a no where land...

That song fits him to a tee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I know you hide your love for me sweetheart ... but it's obvious you await each word with a trembling heart.

Donm't worry Gaylie ... i"ll keep posting the truth and you can keep acting like you don't know it's the truth.

Even though we have kept it a secret for so long, it's obvious to everyone but you by now.

LWW

Gayle in MD
02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks, and did you by any chance see the testimony of the State Department Inspector General, who was supposedly investigating all the missing billions, while his own brother, Buzzy, was on the board of directors of Blackwater?

He had to recuse himself...

Rice's testimony was unbelievable. She apparently didn't think it was her job to oversee where all the money was going, or whether or not we were getting anything out of it.

Sort of reminds me of Petraeus, not bothering to ask himself whether all those young heroes are dying for any actual purpose, or positive result sfor America.

Now, the administration is beginning to baqck off of their statements regarding draw downs. Afghanistan and Pakistan, boiling up, and the entire middle east chaos turning into a wider regional disaster, as we knew it would, and just as they were warned, back when they refused to listen.

No worthwhile good will ever come of this mess, but as in all other gross misconduct of the Bush Administration, they will simply distort the truth, and blame it on something or someone else, just as they have to their little sheep to respond to failure.

Thankfully, we will soon be sending the chimp back to his imaginary ranch, to bask in his imaginary sucesses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hondo
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> He's a real no where man, living in a no where land...

That song fits him to a tee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I know you hide your love for me sweetheart ... but it's obvious you await each word with a trembling heart.

Donm't worry Gaylie ... i"ll keep posting the truth and you can keep acting like you don't know it's the truth.

Even though we have kept it a secret for so long, it's obvious to everyone but you by now.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Classic doublethink. She ignores you;she ridicules you, and you've convinced yourself she loves you.

LWW
02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
That's not doublethink hondo.

Do=ublethink would be equally believing she hates me and loves me.

I believe shes is a liar who reads most every post and thenhas her lapdoggys do her bidding.

It's really quite funny to watch them leap for their treat.

LWW

hondo
02-05-2008, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> That's not doublethink hondo.

Do=ublethink would be equally believing she hates me and loves me.

I believe shes is a liar who reads most every post and thenhas her lapdoggys do her bidding.

It's really quite funny to watch them leap for their treat.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

The old term before Newspeak was reality control.
You really should read the book sometime.
It might open your eyes to what's happening in America, but I doubt it because you are too blinded by your partisanship.

LWW
02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Have you ever had an original thought?

LWW

Gayle in MD
02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
A BOOK! A BOOK~! My friend, in the radical rightwing mentality, that is verbodden! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The comrads check the library, you know. They are watching. No books! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If these a-holes on here read any books we wouldn't have to put up with their vast ignorance.

Gayle is singing...He's a real no where man, living in a no where land... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If these a-holes on here read any books we wouldn't have to put up with their vast ignorance. <hr /></blockquote> It looks like you have decided to get even worse. Maybe it would be a good time for you to cool off a bit as it appears your emotion is getting the better of your sanity.

eg8r

bamadog
02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I think Gayle is a little upset. Her party appears to have rejected her champion, Hillary warrior princess. Gayle has already stated that Obama is not fit to be President, so now what?

LWW
02-06-2008, 04:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> A BOOK! A BOOK~! My friend, in the radical rightwing mentality, that is verbodden! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The comrads check the library, you know. They are watching. No books! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If these a-holes on here read any books we wouldn't have to put up with their vast ignorance.

Gayle is singing...He's a real no where man, living in a no where land... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Need a wipe ... you have some spittle on your screen.

Now, focus your anger properly dear because we both know it's not me that you hate ... it's the truth that you hate.

LWW