* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
* Print
o Del.icio.us
o Digg
o Facebook
o Newsvine
o Permalink

Published: June 3, 2007

Americans are accustomed to Vice President Dick Cheney’s waiting out a terrorist threat in a “secure undisclosed location.” Now it seems that Mr. Cheney wears the cloak of invisibility in secure disclosed locations.

The Associated Press reported that Mr. Cheney’s office ordered the Secret Service last September to destroy all records of visitors to the official vice presidential mansion — right after The Washington Post sued for access to the logs. That move was made in secret, naturally. It came out only because of another lawsuit, filed by a private group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, seeking the names of conservative religious figures who visited the vice president’s residence.

This disdain for accountability is distressing, but not surprising. Mr. Cheney has had it on display from his first days in office, when he refused to name the energy-industry executives who met with him behind closed doors to draft an energy policy.

In a similar way, Mr. Cheney seems unconcerned about little things like checks and balances and traditional American notions of judicial process. At one point, he gave himself the power to selectively declassify documents and selectively leak them to reporters. In a recent commencement address, he declaimed against prisoners who had the gall to “demand the protections of the Geneva Convention and the Constitution of the United States.”

Mr. Cheney is the driving force behind the Bush administration’s theory of the “unitary executive,” which holds that no one, including Congress and the courts, has the power to supervise or regulate the actions of the president. Just as he pays little attention to old-fangled notions of the separation of powers, Mr. Cheney does not overly bother himself about the bright line that should exist between his last job as chief of the energy giant Halliburton and his current one on the public payroll.

From 2001 to 2005, Mr. Cheney received “deferred salary payments” from Halliburton that far exceeded what taxpayers gave him. Mr. Cheney still holds hundreds of thousands of stock options that have ballooned by millions of dollars as Halliburton profited handsomely from the war in Iraq.

Reviewing this record — secrecy, impatience with government regulations, backroom dealings, handsome paydays — it dawned on us that Mr. Cheney is in step with the times. He has privatized the job of vice president of the United States.
More Articles in Opinion »
Things are not what they seem,from the NY Times

Gayle in MD
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
All very true. Just like I've always said, our troops are dying to make money for Cheney, Rice and Bush, Baker, Feith, the list goest on...it's disgusting. None of them care a hoot about this country. They're ion it for their own fortunes, that all.

Cheney, at meeting on the energy policy...

"Don't worry boys, I'll have oil up to six dollars a gallon in eight years." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LWW
02-03-2008, 06:39 AM
All a grotesque lie based upon a single grain of truth and manipulated to appease the simple minded that look no further than whether or not the article lives up to the mantra of B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH! yet again.

As the offsetting voice of truth against a pack of malicious and viindictive lies ... it is well knoiwn and has been shown to you on numerous times that:

-Bush owns no Halliburton.
-Cheney's stock options are donated to charity and he gains nothing monetarily from it.
-Moore. Soros, Pelosi, Boxer, and most all of the leadership of the anti-war ... to be honest they are anti US victory and anti USS defeat because the ongoing continuation of the war fattens their wallets quite nicely ... are holders of defense stocks with Moore and Soros having a stake that dwarfs Cheney's donated stock options.

So, let's call it like it is. Whether from blind partisanship, Bush Derangement Syndrome, raw hatred, or sublime ignorance, the both of you abject tools of the military industrial complex and it's pimp who bought the DNC.

The both of you will carry the water for those profiting from a war which should be over by now.

The both of you will lie with malice and forethought about the truth rather than admit your being owned.

You know this all to be true, and you should be ashamed.

I also know that the odds of this sinking in on either of you is slim, but I continue to try.

LWW

LWW
02-03-2008, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All very true. Just like I've always said, our troops are dying to make money for George Soros, Michael Moore, and Barabara Boxer, the list goes on...it's disgusting. None of them care a hoot about this country. They're in it for their own fortunes, that all.

Pelosi and crew, at the meeting on the waterboarding policy...

"I'm worried boys, I't might not be harsh enough." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I fixed your post for you sweetheart.

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Every company and business making massive profits in Iraq over the war are connected in some way with BOOOSH
or Cheney.
Look it up. Investigate. Slowly ween yourself from a strict diet of right wing sites.

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:35 AM
True or not, WHY do you believe it is only bad if Bush does it but it's cool if Soros and Moore do it.

C'mon big man ... you can cipher this one out.

LWW

hondo
02-03-2008, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> True or not, WHY do you believe it is only bad if Bush does it but it's cool if Soros and Moore do it.

C'mon big man ... you can cipher this one out.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Wrong is wrong no matter who does it.
I just get tired of you defending BOOOSH by attacking others.
Pot calling the kettle black, brother.

bamadog
02-03-2008, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Every company and business making massive profits in Iraq over the war are connected in some way with BOOOSH
or Cheney.
Look it up. Investigate. Slowly ween yourself from a strict diet of right wing sites. <hr /></blockquote>

OK Hondo, here's your chance to redeem yourself. Show us that you can do more than parrot what Gayle posts, and supply the evidence. I'm pulling for you.

hondo
02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
What's that? I can't hear you. Did you say something?

Drop1
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Booosh,and another load of BS. Time for you to head for the petri dish.

Drop1
02-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Do yourself a favor,and go back on the road. You don't know the subject,or post some thing to show that you do know something about Cheney,and the checks received from Haliburton ,after becoming Vice President. It must be nice to be V.P.,and get thirty million. I bet you still think there is a Right,and a Left in this Democratic Republic. You come off,as naive as Obama.

LWW
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
And I've asked you many times to show where all this "support" from me is.

LWW

bamadog
02-03-2008, 11:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> What's that? I can't hear you. Did you say something? <hr /></blockquote>

Once again, you demonstrate your emptiness.
Do you ever actually inform yourself on a subject before you mouth off about it?
I gave you a chance to redeem yourself, but you obviously relish your role as the forum doofus. Your choice.

bamadog
02-04-2008, 12:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Do yourself a favor,and go back on the road. You don't know the subject,or post some thing to show that you do know something about Cheney,and the checks received from Haliburton ,after becoming Vice President. It must be nice to be V.P.,and get thirty million. I bet you still think there is a Right,and a Left in this Democratic Republic. You come off,as naive as Obama. <hr /></blockquote>

This, Cheney and Haliburton garbage, has all been explained to you, several times. Your learning disability is not my problem.

Drop1
02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep,there are several explanations,each one dumber than the last. I just like to keep current on the explanation of the day. Nice that you should care,though I doubt you can explain crap on grass.

LWW
02-05-2008, 05:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Yep,there are several explanations,each one dumber than the last. I just like to keep current on the explanation of the day. Nice that you should care,though I doubt you can explain crap on grass. <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, the story on Halliburton from the truth minded has never changed ... but you lknew that.

In the meantime you cower from the truth unable to explain why the left's conspiracy theories have so many holes.

LWW