PDA

View Full Version : Pool table jack

rick2752
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I need to move table about 20ft in one direction, refloor and then move back. I was thinking of using 2 car jacks blocking up to the main beam that holds the slate, lifting evenly on each end and then rolling out of the way. Anyone ever tried this or have any advice?

wolfdancer
02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
We used to move 9 ft tables without any car jacks. Make a fulcrum and lever out of two pieces of 2x4, lift and shim with some patience with either 1" or 2" pieces of wood, go to the other side and repeat the process until you get it high enough where you can roll it with a furniture dolly..we had a special one built, and used a 6x6 "beam" to balance the table on the dolly.
Your method will work, but I had a 10 ft'r to move, and the guys had a car jack on one side...a floor jack on the other,the car jack slipped... and torqued the table and slate...no damage but they were lucky. I moved the table back by myself after the rock concert was over.....
Whatever you do...take your time and be patient....

rick2752
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Im a little confused are you using a furniture dollies on each end? Im only going to lifting the table a 1/2 inch at most to move on a flat concrete floor.

ceebee
02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I moved my table for recarpeting. I have used the fulcrum method successfully, but that requires strength & skill. I modified an auto jack (I cut the vertical stem height down, so I could get it under the table). I jack up one end (slowly) & slide the Piano dolly into place & lower the table down. Then I repeat the scenario at the other end.

The jack & dual Piano Dollies work very well, to complete this task.

Good Luck...

BigRigTom
02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rick2752:</font><hr> I need to move table about 20ft in one direction, refloor and then move back. I was thinking of using 2 car jacks blocking up to the main beam that holds the slate, lifting evenly on each end and then rolling out of the way. Anyone ever tried this or have any advice? <hr /></blockquote>

The guys who redid my garage floor used some dolly's I had never seen before to do pretty much what you are talking about. The ones they had were made for moving heavy furniture (maybe pianos) they were about 8" square with 4 wheels underneath and about 2 inches high. We used the fulcrum idea to lift one end of my table and then rolled a dolly under each table foot ( I have a 74 Brunswick Sierra Pro size 8 foot).

Once the table was on the 4 dollys the table was easy to move out of the way while they laid the bamboo floor then they just rolled it back into place, we levered the weight up about 1/2" and the dollys rolled right out then we set the table down again.

They used those same little dollys to move my upright freezer (loaded with frozen food) and then my big outdoor type soda vending machine with 8 varieties of beer and soda (fully loaded). There were only 2 little mexicans and it was amazing to watch them handle that heavy stuff! WOW!

catscradle
02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> ... There were only 2 little mexicans and it was amazing to watch them handle that heavy stuff! WOW! <hr /></blockquote>
Makes you believe that people really did build the pyramids not space aliens.

slipstroke
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
After reading the different ways previous mentioned to move a pool table, I am curious to know if there is a danger of causing a problem at the joints where the slate is joined?

DeadCrab
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
You need to select your jacking point very carefully.

BigRigTom
02-06-2008, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> After reading the different ways previous mentioned to move a pool table, I am curious to know if there is a danger of causing a problem at the joints where the slate is joined? <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely YES!
Unfortunately I am at that age when I pretty much have a story to back up everything! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

A couple of years ago (before I got the 74 Brunswick I have now - which I love) I had a regulation 8 foot table. It was a cheap, no name brand that was more a piece of furniture than a pool table...if you know the type....

Any way, my table is and has always been in my garage. I wanted to cover the concrete floor with something to soften the pounding my legs were taking from the concrete. I ask my son to help me move the table over so I could put down some old used carpet over the concrete garage floor.

He, being a very young, strong and enthusiastic helper grabbed the head rail and dead lifted the end of the table. Since it was 3 piece slate....need I say more...the table folded upward at the seam nearest the upward lift point....results...a big wrinkle in the cloth directly over the seam. The only fix was to re-do the cloth.

If that had been the table I have now, probably nothing would have happen except my son may have strain his bi-ceps or pulled a musle in his back.

The point is that the stress on the table has to be carefully and correctly distributed so as to NOT damage the structure.

Crawl underneath and check out the way the table is put together and then select the lift points carefully, then lift only as much as you have to, to get the wheels under the legs. Then move with care and reverse the process also with care. If you are very cautious you can move the table around all over the place with out damage to it.

I know because I have done it more that once.
I also have screwed up a couple of times so I know both sides of the DIY deal.

rick2752
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, I got it moved and it went pretty smooth. I used 2 2x8's stacked on top of each other and slid up against the legs on the inside of the cabinet. The sides of my table are structural. Lifted each end about an inch and rolled right out of way. Now just hope moving it back goes so well.