PDA

View Full Version : Question for JoeW-Psychologist??

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Do you play pool?
Have you had any poolplayers as "patients"?
How would you describe Earl Stricklands behavior?)btw,I like Earl)
What suggestions,if any, would you recommend on mentally preparing yourself for a tournament/match?
Carol

wolfdancer
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Carol, you are asking the wrong person here. After working in pool rooms, albeit p.t.....I consider myself a pool room "psychologist"....pool players have unique psychosis, often misdiagnosed by anyone not familiar with the sport.

"Psychosis is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality." Stedman's Medical Dictionary ... "

I, myself, have occasionally fallen victim to this disease, alternately believing that I can beat the top players, and then thinking that evil spirits are behind the strange placements of the cue ball.

SKennedy
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
From my experiences, I think each sports group has certain traits or characteristics. Baseball players are different than soccer players, etc. And I think pool players are an unique group also. However, I don't think anyone can outdo baseball pitchers when it comes to being different. They are a breed unto themselves...as are kickers...

As for preparing for a match....I don't think preparing mentally for a pool match is any different than any other sport match. And, not sure a "one size fits all" approach works. Playing confident and relaxed are pretty important, regardless of the sport, but how you get that way is a matter of personal preference.
Just my opinions.....and I'm a low-skilled amateur at best (at the table, and as a "shrink").

bradb
02-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Carol, congrats on the Giants win by the way!

Well I must confess that I talk to the balls. I beseech them...tell them to speed up...to slow down...I sweet talk them, curse them. Once I pleaded on my knees to a 9ball to do the right thing. But it ignored me!...Humiliated me in public!

I don't know what to do, I'm getting a complex over this. I think they shun me because they just don't like me. Sometimes I think they are out to get me.

Is talking to inanimate objects a sign of delusion?...Do you think I should seek help?

-Lost and rejected in Canada. Brad
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Brad, they are out to get you...it's the nature of the beast. Heed this warning, before it's too late...

"Well, ya got trouble, my friend.
Right here, I say trouble right here in River City
Why, sure, I'm a billiard player
Certainly mighty proud to say,
I'm always mighty proud to say it
I consider the hours I spend with a cue in my hand are golden
Help you cultivate horse sense and a cool head and a keen eye
Didja ever take an' try an' give an iron clad leave
to yourself from a three-rail billiard shot?
But just as I say it takes judgement, brains and maturity
to score in a balk-line game
I say that any boob can take and shove a ball in a pocket
And I call that sloth,
the first big step on the road to the depths of degredation-
I say, first- medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
then beer from a bottle
And the next thing you know your son is playin'
for money in a pinchback suit
and listenin' to some big out-o'-town jasper
Hear him tell about horserace gamblin'
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no,
but a race where they set down right on the horse
Like to see some stuck up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch?
Make your blood boil, well I should say
Now, folks, let me show you what I mean
You got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table
Pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman and a bum
With a capital 'B' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'

And all week long, your River City youth'll be fritterin' away
I say, your young men'll be fritterin'
Fritterin' away their noontime, suppertime, choretime, too
Hit the ball in the pocket
Never mind gettin' dandelions pulled or the screen door patched
or the beefsteak pounded
Never mind pumpin' any water 'til your parents are caught
with a cistern empty on a Saturday night and that's trouble
Oh, ya got lots and lots o' trouble
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers shirttails,
young ones peekin' in the pool hall window after school
Ya got trouble, folks, right here in River City
with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'

Now I know all you folks are the right kind of parents
I'm gonna be perfectly frank
Would you like to know what kind of conversation goes on
while they're loafin' around that hall
They'll be tryin' out Bevo, tryin' out Cubebs,
tryin' out tailor-mades like cigarette fiends
And braggin' all about how they're gonna cover up
a tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen
Now one fine night they leave the pool hall
headin' for the dance at the Armory
Libertine men and scarlet women and ragtime
Shameless music that'll grab your son, your daughter
into the arms of a jungle animal instinct- massteria!
Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground, trouble!

Oh, we got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here in River City
With a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'
That stands for pool
We surely got trouble
We surely got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here

Gotta figure out a way to keep the young ones
moral after school

Spoken:
Mothers of River City,
heed this warning before it's too late
Watch for the tell-tale signs of corruption
The minute your son leaves the house
does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee?
Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger?
A dime novel hidden in the corncrib?
Is he starting to memorize jokes
from Cap'n Billy's Whizbang?
Are certain words creeping into his conversation?
Words like... swell?
And... 'so's your old man'?
Well if so, my friends...

Ya got trouble
Oh, we got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here in River City
With a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'
That stands for pool
We've surely got trouble
We surely got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here

Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock and the Golden Rule?
Oho, we got trouble
We're in terrible, terrible trouble
That game with the fifteen numbered balls is the devil's tool
Devil's tool
Yes, we've got trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, yes, we got trouble here, we got big, big trouble
With a 'T'

With a capital 'T'
And that rhymes with 'P'
That rhymes with 'P'
And that stands for pool
That stands for pool

Remember my friends, listen to me,
because I pass this way but once"

catscradle
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Hi Carol, congrats on the Giants win by the way!

Well I must confess that I talk to the balls. I beseech them...tell them to speed up...to slow down...I sweet talk them, curse them. Once I pleaded on my knees to a 9ball to do the right thing. But it ignored me!...Humiliated me in public!

I don't know what to do, I'm getting a complex over this. I think they shun me because they just don't like me. Sometimes I think they are out to get me.

Is talking to inanimate objects a sign of delusion?...Do you think I should seek help?

-Lost and rejected in Canada. Brad
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Not mention gravity. You wouldn't think there wasn't a significant gravitational attraction between pool balls given their size, but I swear there is.

Carol, I don't think Joe is reading this board or he would have responded. You might try pinging him on AZB and tell him to come take a look.

bradb
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I never thought of the gravitational attraction...I knew it!... Conspiracy!

Note to Wolf: Now you've got me humming the River City song...I see pool balls ignoring to music now, driving me nuts to remember what musical it came from. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

<hr /></blockquote>
Hi Brad,
Ha ha ha-I've had a helluva day today-I hate to say it,but Im "sick of the Giants" ha ha ha ha-and YES,we ALL need help!
Are there any protocologists in the house? ha ha ha ha-driving to and from Manhatten was a nightmare,ha ha ha!

Always a pleasure!
Carol~also talks to balls,hmmm,imagine!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Joe is reading this board or he would have responded. You might try pinging him on AZB and tell him to come take a look.
<hr /></blockquote>
Ohhhh,sorry,I dont write on there-thats okay!
I thought he was "in the house"
Thank you!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Jack,
My stomach hurts from laughing-what the hell is this? ha ha ha!!!
Carol

wolfdancer
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
It's from "The Music Man"

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing confident and relaxed are pretty important, regardless of the sport, but how you get that way is a matter of personal preference.
<hr /></blockquote>
I agree-
I thought JoeW was posting here,but,guess not-
as for Earl, I thought maybe the angrier he gets,the better he plays-sometimes people play well when they're angry-Im not one of them and thought maybe JoeW had some incite to how the brain works in that manner /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Good answer,Jack /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Carol~needs glass of milk to stop stomach pain,ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoeW
02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Carol:
I have been busy playing pool !

I do not think that players are any different than anyone else. They have their problems and their enjoyable ways.

I do think that too many players get caught up in some perceived mystique about gambling, and hustling. But every sport has its down side.

I have watched Earl for many years and in my personal (not professional) opinion I think that he has (had) some very strong character traits that allowed him to use emotions to win a match at the other player’s expense. I think that for him it is part of the game.

I do not know anything about his personal demons but apparently he has had some of late. This has affected his play on an erratic basis. I suspect (but don’t know) that playing pool is his life and that he is more than committed to it as a way of life. This cannot be said of all of the top players.

No matter what his personal problems his passion for the game is appealing to many of us. His behavior, at times, leaves something to be desired.

It is not possible to give a professional opinion of someone from a distance, so I can’t be of help there.

JoeW
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
With regard to how one should prepare for a match, I have several thoughts and no more insightful than the next person’s. A few tips from psychology that might be of use include:

One should know why they play.

You should know your own weaknesses (to be avoided).

Practice is a must and learning to control anxiety and anger during practice will transfer to a match (there are many ways to do this).

Emotional and mental practice such as the use of imagery and relaxation techniques are tools that all competitive players should look into.

av84fun
02-06-2008, 12:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

<hr /></blockquote>
Hi Brad,
Ha ha ha-I've had a helluva day today-I hate to say it,but Im "sick of the Giants" ha ha ha ha-and YES,we ALL need help!
Are there any protocologists in the house? ha ha ha ha-driving to and from Manhatten was a nightmare,ha ha ha!

Always a pleasure!
Carol~also talks to balls,hmmm,imagine!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

What did the proctologist say to the dentist?

How can you stand looking down people's throats all day?

(-:

CarolNYC
02-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Dr. JoeW,
I appreciate you coming here and responding-thank you-I've never spoken with a psychologist-psychiatrist,maybe /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Anyways, I wont take much of your time-
[ QUOTE ]
One should know why they play. <hr /></blockquote>
Do you think just loving the game is enough, to be good,or you also need that competitive nature to win?

[ QUOTE ]
You should know your own weaknesses <hr /></blockquote>
Do you think knowing your opponents weaknesses is necessary?

[ QUOTE ]
Emotional and mental practice such as the use of imagery and relaxation techniques are tools that all competitive players should look into. <hr /></blockquote>
So you believe in meditation,breathing,martial arts-they have merit?

Also, when people say "in the zone"-there have been some times,not many,but some,where I played lights out and afterwards, a friend would say "what were you thinking of" and I'd shrug my shoulders and say "I dont know,nothing"
Do you think the mind thinks of nothing?

Have a good day!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Jim,
[ QUOTE ]
What did the proctologist say to the dentist?

How can you stand looking down people's throats all day<hr /></blockquote>
Very cute,very cute-
I swear,if there was a sign on the Gowanus that said "Free Protology" I would have been telling people to "pullover!" ha haha
I RAN through the Brklyn-Battery tunnel in less than 14 minutes for a charity (and Im not a runner and I smoke)-yesterday,it was incredible driving /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been busy playing pool ! <hr /></blockquote>
Great answer!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched Earl for many years and in my personal (not professional) opinion I think that he has (had) some very strong character traits that allowed him to use emotions to win a match at the other player’s expense. I think that for him it is part of the game. <hr /></blockquote>

Mmmmmmmmm,mmmmmmmmmm,yes, he reminds me of Mcenroe-confrontation on court,ya know?
AND I AGREE,PLAYING POOL IS HIS LIFE!
[ QUOTE ]
his passion for the game is appealing to many of us. <hr /></blockquote>
Yes! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thank you!
Carol

JoeW
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
I do not know about the martial arts stuff as I have no experience with it. But I do know that ”Deep Muscle Relaxation” as used in sports psychology and for therapeutic purposes is (or should be) required for higher level play. I have written about it in other places and can email an article if you are interested.

Visualization techniques are an important part of the game. Jack Nicklus (sp) says one of the most important parts for him as he visualizes every shot before playing it. There is a wealth of information on this topic in sports psychology web sites. It is well regarded in basketball, tennis, golf and many other places as a necessity for excellent skills.

One that is unique to pool playing is concentration that leads to the “Zone.” While I do not have any evidence to back it up I think that if one consistently follows Jeanette Lee’s suggestion and focuses on the smallest dot possible on the cue ball when aiming that this heightened state of concentration can lead to the zone. The idea here is that one has a pre-shot routine that is standardized, especially with regard to not thinking about anything but the shot when you bend over. At this point it is all focused concentration. A few successful repetitions of this with no unexpected interference (you get the position you want on each shot) and the player drops into a zone. Of course this is not easy to achieve but there is a key to the door that appear to be mysterious to many.

With regard to you prior question about mental illness and pool players. I have worked with players in therapy and find they have the same problems everyone else has.

JoeW
02-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Carol said, “Do you think just loving the game is enough, to be good, or you also need that competitive nature to win?”

With regard to highly skilled players, I think the answer to that is in the nature of genius. Not all loved what they did, some were possessed by their gift. For the average person who takes up the game I suspect that playing pool is akin to a music virtuoso we all have some natural ability a few have genius. For those of us who are regular people, dedication is required to master this very difficult sport. Unless one’s livelihood is on the line, love of the sport and all this implies is required to master it and to sustain it over a long period of time.

I do not think it has been studied but from what I have read many highly skilled world class players had few talents in other areas. Irving Crane was an exception and there are of course a few others. But for the most part world class players have limited skill sets. So did Beethoven and many others so I am not fault finding here

Carol said, “Do you think knowing your opponents weaknesses is necessary?”

Yes this is important. But I think that we too often emphasize their weakness and not our own. Knowing one’s limits is important to the average player who needs to know when to play defense to position them to win the game. Pool playing tends to bring out the macho side of people. We like to get aggressive with the game and play hero in our head. This can be observed in the banter observed in nearly any pool hall. Pool is a game in which finesse is the key to playing well. While many people know this they de-emphasize this key concept.

BigRigTom
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow! Great stuff JoeW.
Thanks Carol for raising these questions and thanks JoeW for the answers.

Sustaining Focus and Concentration is my new goal!
I know that when I do both I play well and if I lose either I make mistakes. Sounds so simple doesn't it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I hate to keep bringing up this little $10 book "Extraordinary Golf" but it's the best money I've ever spent on a sports book. AND most things in there, adapt easily to pool.... instinctive knowledge, competition, and concentration.
Fred has a whole chapter on concentration, but sums it up nicely as..."you either have chatter, worry, doubts, judgments...or nothing. Concentration is, in a sense, nothing.
AND, nothing can help your game"
(you waz specting sumthin different?)

bradb
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Some very good reading here Dr Joe.

When you mention the word "finesse", I am reminded of a game I was watching in a USO back in my military years.

This large, rather aggressive guy was playing a very good player. The big guy was slamming the balls around with power and bravado. The other player said to him quite earnestly, "Your'e hitting the balls too hard, this is a game of finesse!" Upon that the big guy picked up the table and turned it up side down!!!!!

Although not exactly a demonstration of control, it certainly spelled out the weaknesses and strengths of both players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-brad

SKennedy
02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I hate to keep bringing up this little $10 book "Extraordinary Golf" but it's the best money I've ever spent on a sports book. AND most things in there, adapt easily to pool.... instinctive knowledge, competition, and concentration.
Fred has a whole chapter on concentration, but sums it up nicely as..."you either have chatter, worry, doubts, judgments...or nothing. Concentration is, in a sense, nothing.
AND, nothing can help your game"
(you waz specting sumthin different?) <hr /></blockquote>

Nothing.....concentration....mindless? Next time my wife tells me I'm mindless I'll let her know I'm concentrating.
I think I'll check into that book you're bragging on. Thanks.

JoeW
02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I do not want to get too esoteric here but consider what concentration really is for a moment.

You get lost in a book or a TV show, someone calls your name and you do not answer. When they get louder and break your concentration you say something like, “Sorry, I heard you, I wasn’t listening.” That is a form of deep concentration; we have totally absorbed one part of our mind in the task at hand. And we do this to the extent that we ignore other available information. The mind is not a blank slate it is intensely focused in these circumstances.

This can be accomplished at the pool table when we are totally lost in the physical and mental skills required to make the shot and get position.

For those who know about hypnosis I will have to agree that I am indeed talking about a variation of hypnotic induction (self hypnosis), but then hypnosis is a form of altered, intense concentration. When it is “fun” we want to do it again. And we self hypnotize all the time.

Some forms of concentration are verbal (reading a book, writing software, etc) other forms are not, <font color="orange"> </font color> pool. However <font color="orange"> </font color> pool requires both forms of concentration verbal (when your standing up) and non-verbal when you bend over at the table.

wolfdancer
02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Dr. Joe, Fred's "nothing" idea, does not go against your idea that concentration is "intense" focus. "Nothing" is more like a quiet non-judgmental mind,allowing one to focus.
Hypnosis helped my golf game in the past, and I now have Ryan Elliott's "Dead Stroke" CDs for pool...one of these days, I'll actually listen to them... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
JoeW,
One of the most helpful books I've ever read for my "mental game" has been "The Tao of Sports". Have you read it and what degree do you think it has applicability to pool?
SteveE.

bradb
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Your comments on concentration are so true. I would also like to add my own personal obsevations.

I've tried many ways over the years to deal with my anxiety, and it seems the answer is a combination of several vital things that come together at the same time to get me out of my inner fear in a crucial situation.

It may come as a sudden feeling of confidence, maybe its someone giving me an unexpected compliment on my game. Or my opponent shows a weakness and I think, "I can beat him." Maybe I suddenly remember a positive situation in my past that made me feel strong. It can be anything that triggers my confidence, but when that switch is turned on it has such a powerful effect on our mind.

With the fear gone total relaxation eases your body, you see the shot more clearly, you remember how you have made this shot in the past and you think, "why was I so uptight, this is easy?"

You discover a state of total focus, a bomb could go off next door and you would'nt notice. You can play on.. oblivious to the crowd, you ignore the consequenses of missing, there is only you and the balls.

The combination of feelings above may not come in that order, maybe you have calmed your body down and relaxed with mind control, or you blotted out the outside world and focused. But its a progression of emotions that go hand in hand with confidence becoming the key that unlocks the brains potential. Getting it started is so elusive, but when it happens its magic... its what we all play this game for.

When it fails we try and act optimistic outwardly but inside us its a disaster on our belief in our ability. We've all seen top players come on strong then die away and we don't hear from them for a while.. or maybe never again.

I've had times when I want to smash my cue and throw it in the trash, but I put it away and put pool out of my mind for a few days, then the urge comes back to play and I start concentrating on my skills again and I'm back to the game I love -brad
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SKennedy
02-06-2008, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoeW:</font><hr> I do not want to get too esoteric here but consider what concentration really is for a moment.

You get lost in a book or a TV show, someone calls your name and you do not answer. When they get louder and break your concentration you say something like, “Sorry, I heard you, I wasn’t listening.” That is a form of deep concentration; we have totally absorbed one part of our mind in the task at hand. And we do this to the extent that we ignore other available information. The mind is not a blank slate it is intensely focused in these circumstances.

This can be accomplished at the pool table when we are totally lost in the physical and mental skills required to make the shot and get position.

For those who know about hypnosis I will have to agree that I am indeed talking about a variation of hypnotic induction (self hypnosis), but then hypnosis is a form of altered, intense concentration. When it is “fun” we want to do it again. And we self hypnotize all the time.

Some forms of concentration are verbal (reading a book, writing software, etc) other forms are not, <font color="orange"> </font color> pool. However <font color="orange"> </font color> pool requires both forms of concentration verbal (when your standing up) and non-verbal when you bend over at the table.

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the information and thoughts. I agree about concentration, etc. Last night in league play our captain was upset becasue one of our players, who was playing a match at the moment, had some friends by the table who were being loud, etc. The captain asked me to do something about it...like tell his friends to leave. I told the captain that while those guys may be bothering him, they did not appear to be bothering the player, who appeared to be very focused on the game, albeit not playing very well. We all focus in different ways and our focus is interrupted in various ways. I like good old classical rock from the 60's and early 70's playing to help my game...it helps me relax and focus. But some of this loud and modern stuff is a little too much for me. I do know that nothing ruins the concentration more than when a captain calls a time-out, just because he can! I also find my ability to focus for long and intense periods diminishes with age.

bradb
02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
[quote=SKennedy
<hr /></blockquote>
I like good old classical rock from the 60's and early 70's playing to help my game...it helps me relax and focus. But some of this loud and modern stuff is a little too much for me. <hr /></blockquote>

Amen to that Steve! Gimme that good old rock and roll!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drop1
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
The Chinese have a saying,to the affect "look through the mountain and see". I think I could have a shooting going on next to me,and the elements to make my shot would not be affected. I probably won't make the shot,because I can't shoot for sht,but I would be looking through the mountain.

SKennedy
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I can't wait until Next Tuesday league night when I can provide insightful wisdom to my fellow team mates, "Look through the mountain!" I'll even wait until they have had a few drinks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drop1
02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't tell them,and if we ever play,you will understand the mountain is fictitious,as is the line from the pocket to the OB. To make it easy,study exactly what you want to do,then close your eyes,and imagine doing it. When you are confident,you can make the shot,and leave the cue ball where you want,or play a safety,open your eyes,and do it. Do not fall asleep,but become rapid,you don't want to piss off your pals.

SKennedy
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Don't tell them,and if we ever play,you will understand the mountain is fictitious,as is the line from the pocket to the OB. To make it easy,study exactly what you want to do,then close your eyes,and imagine doing it. When you are confident,you can make the shot,and leave the cue ball where you want,or play a safety,open your eyes,and do it. Do not fall asleep,but become rapid,you don't want to piss off your pals. <hr /></blockquote>

I use to make my son pitch blindfolded in practice for certain drills.
As for pissing off my pals.....I have too much fun doing that to stop now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif