PDA

View Full Version : Blind, 92-year-old golfer scores hole-in-one in Fl

S0Noma
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
CLEARWATER, Florida: Hitting a hole-in-one is hard enough. Now consider that Leo Fiyalko is 92 years old and blind.

"I was just trying to put the ball on the green," he said.

Fiyalko, who has macular degeneration and has been golfing for 60 years, scored the ace with a 5-iron on the 110-yard fifth hole at Cove Cay Country Club on Jan. 10.

Fiyalko tees off every Thursday with a group of golfers ranging in age from 70 to more than 90. He used to have a 7 handicap, but needs help lining up shots and finding golf balls because he has peripheral vision only in his right eye.

Jean Gehring was in Fiyalko's foursome and watched his swing on the hole-in-one.

"I could tell it went on the green," Gehring said. "When we got up there I didn't see it. I looked in the hole and there it was."

Gehring said Fiyalko was modest about the shot and had to be prodded to tell his wife about it after the round. Fiyalko's friends at the club presented him with a plaque last week to commemorate the feat.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/01/sports/NA-SPT-GLF-Blind-Hole-In-One.php

Deeman3
02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
What a trooper? To think I gave up most of my golf over a danged slice....

To do anything at 92 is encouraging. You listening here Wolfdancer, there may be hope for our game now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wolfdancer
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I had already read the article, emailed the guy, and offered to play him for money. I subscribe to the golf channel, along with being a member of this anarchist group here.

DickLeonard
02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Wolfdancer I also had posted on the Golf Channel. The PGA didn't like my suggestions when they requested them.

1 I told them I spent years in a Pool Room and I didn't see why I should watch Golf with my sound off. I had heard enuff Mother Flubbers there.

I was told they were fined when that happened, the public just doesn't know about it.

2. Why aren't golfers penalized for slamming their clubs into the ground altering the playing conditions for next person landing there.

1 One case in point a Golfer missed an iron shot at a crucial point in the last round of the Masters. His second swing sent a cow sized flop sailing further than his ball.

no reply

Since I was made aware that 90% of Pro Golfers were Republican I now watch pool only. A tremendious amount of Democrats have also followed suit. Now pro golf has been replaced by our Sport NASCAR on the Prime Channels.####

Sid_Vicious
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
"Now pro golf has been replaced by our Sport NASCAR on the Prime Channels"

Good, we need a lot more left turns from the right ;-) sid

wolfdancer
02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Dick, my sister and her husband, otherwise good people, are NASCAR fan-atics. I knew something tragic like that would happen when she married an Italian, and not an Irish lad.
I think I might skip watching most Golf tournaments, if it wasn't for Tiger. He's in that special grouping...Jordan, Federer, Magic, Barry, Torvill & Dean
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zbbN4OL98&feature=related)
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTdzJ_FCKI&feature=related)