PDA

View Full Version : battery acid on slate

Pea_Pool
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I've got a problem with one of my slates. At one time somebody set a car battery on it, acid leaked and caused some minor "pitting". Can this be repaired?

wolfdancer
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I've seen minor scratches repaired with Bondo..have even seen it used to repair chips, and broken slate, after the broken piece is first being drilled and doweled.

Pea_Pool
02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm wondering if I should potentially go to a heavier "felt" to take up some of the slack if it's not perfect. Hopefully Bondo will do the trick. I'd love some of the new, faster stuff but I need it smooth first.

wolfdancer
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
you wouldn't believe the extent of the surface damage that was repaired with Bondo....and the tables all had Simonis cloth put on them afterwards

BigRigTom
02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
What Wolfdancer is telling you is good advice.
You definitely want that slate repaired then smoothed out B4 putting on any kind of cloth.

Heavy cloth will NOT correct a flawed slate.
Anyone who tells you that it will, simply has not tried it or they are BS..ing you.

Bondo or a number of other substances can be used to correct pits, cracks, gouges, chips etc that you usually get in the slates of a pool table but they will then need to be sanded and smoothed out with great care to make sure you don't detect those repairs once the cloth is appplied. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pea_Pool
02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
My priority now will be getting the Bondo repairs as close as possible to the original slate condition. It sounds a liitle tricky but I think we can do it. Would Simonis then be the choice for cloth? The table is early 1900's Brunswick.

BigRigTom
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Bingo!
Simonis 860

I did mine in it and it is great!

Pea_Pool
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks alot for the help. I'll check back in later.