PDA

View Full Version : What makes a break cue special?

08-04-2002, 02:15 PM
This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between a break cue and a regular cue. I own a Viking cue, which I don't break with, simply because of the obvious wear and tear put on the tip. However, I have been told by several people you shouldn't break with a two piece cue. I have never gotten a good answer as to why I shouldn't break with my cue, other than the tip issues.

Maybe I am just lost in the wording, as I suspect a break cue is simply a cue assigned to the task of breaking. I would be satisfied with this, however, when I was shopping for my viking cue, a vendor told me he had three piece break cues that weren't on the display rack if I was interested... and this through me for a whirl...

Harold Acosta
08-04-2002, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: soygordo:</font><hr> This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between a break cue and a regular cue. I own a Viking cue, which I don't break with, simply because of the obvious wear and tear put on the tip. However, I have been told by several people you shouldn't break with a two piece cue. I have never gotten a good answer as to why I shouldn't break with my cue, other than the tip issues.

Maybe I am just lost in the wording, as I suspect a break cue is simply a cue assigned to the task of breaking. I would be satisfied with this, however, when I was shopping for my viking cue, a vendor told me he had three piece break cues that weren't on the display rack if I was interested... and this through me for a whirl...
<hr></blockquote>

[b]There are many answers to your question but I'll give you mine. People mostly use their old cues as break cues after upgrading to a new playing cue. Break cue most of the time is of lesser quality or value than your playing cue. Many people like me use a hard waterbuffalo tip on the break cue, and use a soft, medium or whatever on their playing cue. Lots of people also used their break cue to jump balls until the jump/break cues came along. Break/jump cues take more of a beating than your playing cue. Shafts of breaking cues take more punishment than your playing cue, so it is a matter of different use for each cue.

So in a simple way, that is the difference. Other CCBers will probably post their own reasons.

08-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Gordo:

You're right: a break cue is any cue you reserve for the purpose of breaking. But as Harold Acosta suggests, many players like break cues with special features. For example, Harold likes a break cue with a very hard tip. Quite a few players like a lightweight break cue--but some like one that's heavier than their running cue.

The three-piece cues are often called "jump-break" cues. One breaks with the jump-break cue in its full-length configuration and removes the cue's short butt section when playing a jump shot.

Chaco