PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a new cue, Predator 314 or Black DOT?

genGOTCHA
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I have owned a Meucci FR-4 , and once got hard up for cash and sold it for a dumb amount. Well now I am considering getting another cue, and I have watched Bob Meucci's comparison with his black dot shaft's deflection rate vs all other known shafts. I am almost sold from his video alone, but like all skeptics I am here to ask questions.
Ok, So having owned a meucci w\Red Dot Shaft and loving it's hit it has always made me wonder about the predator shaft. Why does it cost so dang much vs the Black Dot. I honestly can say a good cue does make a HUGE difference in someones play if you know what your doing with it. I guess I am wondering from those who have used both the predator shaft and the meucci black dot. The deflection , feel, all around opinions would be greatly appreciated before I go blowing the dough on this thing.

Heretic
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote genGOTCHA:</font><hr> I have owned a Meucci FR-4 , and once got hard up for cash and sold it for a dumb amount. Well now I am considering getting another cue, and I have watched Bob Meucci's comparison with his black dot shaft's deflection rate vs all other known shafts. I am almost sold from his video alone, but like all skeptics I am here to ask questions.
Ok, So having owned a meucci w\Red Dot Shaft and loving it's hit it has always made me wonder about the predator shaft. Why does it cost so dang much vs the Black Dot. I honestly can say a good cue does make a HUGE difference in someones play if you know what your doing with it. I guess I am wondering from those who have used both the predator shaft and the meucci black dot. The deflection , feel, all around opinions would be greatly appreciated before I go blowing the dough on this thing. <hr /></blockquote>

I have quite a bit of experience with both shafts (let's not discuss how much money I have spent to gain said experience). The difference really is in individual preference. Both shafts will perform as expected. I know Meucci has had a bad reputation because of quality control issues, but I think that is to be expected after the way they redesigned their sticks. I believe they have worked through these issues, and are back to making an excellent product. There is nothing I can say about predator that has not already been said. They really are excellent sticks.

What exactly do you want to know about either stick. There are things I like and dislike about each. I have since went back to old growth maple shafts, but will try to answer any questions you have......BTW....I have a couple extra meuccis that I would part with if you had something to trade

genGOTCHA
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
OOOOOOH please fill me in my friend! What has happened with meucci that I havent been told about? Quality control????? Please please fill me in so I know. I am about to drop 300$ on a cue lol. I have made up my mind and that's whatever the cost is I will pay in order to get a cue that will truely perform and help my level of play that much more.

1Time
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote genGOTCHA:</font><hr> I have owned a Meucci FR-4 , and once got hard up for cash and sold it for a dumb amount. Well now I am considering getting another cue, and I have watched Bob Meucci's comparison with his black dot shaft's deflection rate vs all other known shafts. I am almost sold from his video alone, but like all skeptics I am here to ask questions.
Ok, So having owned a meucci w\Red Dot Shaft and loving it's hit it has always made me wonder about the predator shaft. Why does it cost so dang much vs the Black Dot. I honestly can say a good cue does make a HUGE difference in someones play if you know what your doing with it. I guess I am wondering from those who have used both the predator shaft and the meucci black dot. The deflection , feel, all around opinions would be greatly appreciated before I go blowing the dough on this thing. <hr /></blockquote>
Since you loved shooting with the Red Dot shaft, then your best bet is to buy a Red Dot shaft / cue. It's tough finding the right equipment and even harder when buying blind. You will find Red Dot shafts and cues with them for sale on eBay from time to time. Edit: Meucci still sells Red Dot shafts.

The Black Dot and Predator shafts are unknowns to you and a much bigger risk. The Predator shaft is an even bigger risk due to the higher price tag. The Predator shaft has a higher price tag because that's what people are buying them for. And most who buy Predator shafts over Black Dot shafts probably do so because they assume the higher price tag means it must be better. Stupid, if you ask me.

I have seen the Meucci video and believe its claims. So if you are willing to risk buying a shaft with the least amount of deflection, then buy a Black Dot shaft. I tried a red dot shaft when it came out and I did not like it, but I did like my Meucci shaft that I had before the Red Dot shafts came out. Then later I bought a Black Dot shaft - just because - and that was a mistake since I found I did not like it for anything except breaking. So, unless you are fairly sure you would benefit from a very low deflection shaft, I suggest buying what you know and love, a Red Dot shaft / cue. That said, I have a feeling you're going to end up buying a Black Dot. Some people like the low deflection shafts. I don't.

Edit:
Here's a link showing the Predator shaft has the lowest deflection, and the Red Dot shaft has a lower deflection than the Black Dot: https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php

eg8r
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have owned a Meucci FR-4 , and once got hard up for cash and sold it for a dumb amount. Well now I am considering getting another cue, and I have watched Bob Meucci's comparison with his black dot shaft's deflection rate vs all other known shafts. I am almost sold from his video alone, but like all skeptics I am here to ask questions. <hr /></blockquote> Why not just go shoot with them and see which one you like best. On these internet boards you will never get a straight answer because the majority of people will bash Meucci. Your best bet is to shoot with each one and see if you like one over the other.

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly can say a good cue does make a HUGE difference in someones play if you know what your doing with it. <hr /></blockquote> If you know what you are doing with your cue then it does not matter which cue it is. Allison Fisher is a great example.

eg8r

1Time
02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote genGOTCHA:</font><hr>I honestly can say a good cue does make a HUGE difference in someones play if you know what your doing with it.<hr /></blockquote>
I agree. A good or better cue can mean the difference between winning and losing. For me a better cue is one that shoots better for me than other cues. But I can't know what cue would work better for me without first shooting with it. Without shooting with it first, I can only guess.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>If you know what you are doing with your cue then it does not matter which cue it is. Allison Fisher is a great example. <hr /></blockquote>
If the cue does not matter, Allison Fisher could shoot just as well with a $10 bar cue as she can with any other cue. Surely she chooses the cue she shoots with professionally more carefully than that.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote genGOTCHA:</font><hr>I have made up my mind and that's whatever the cost is I will pay in order to get a cue that will truely perform and help my level of play that much more.<hr /></blockquote>
I suggest it is better to choose a cue that plays better for you than other cues you have tried. If that's a Meucci Red Dot, then there you go. Also, the tip used can make a huge difference.

eg8r
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the cue does not matter, Allison Fisher could shoot just as well with a $10 bar cue as she can with any other cue. Surely she chooses the cue she shoots with professionally more carefully than that.
<hr /></blockquote> Read the folklore out there about Efren. I believe there was a story about him shooting with a broom handle or something like that. As far as Allison, you are right, she does make a more careful decision than choosing a $10 bar cue...she chooses to use the cue from the manufacturer that pays her every year.

I seriously doubt there are too many great players out there that will tell you the cue is what has elevated their game to the professional level. A player makes a player not a cue.

In the end, the guy needs to get out and actually shoot with the cues he is contemplating. Everyone on this board has their own opinion for what they like and the only way to figure it out is to go shoot with a few different cues to see which feels best.

eg8r

1Time
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>Read the folklore out there about Efren. I believe there was a story about him shooting with a broom handle or something like that. <hr /></blockquote>
No need to read about it. Back in the 80's I first heard one of the better locals challenge some lesser players with a broom handle. None of them took him up on it. He probably got the idea from having heard about Efren doing this. Years later I offered this challenge as well, a few times, but always ended up shooting with the butt end of a cue since there was never a broom stick around. I never lost that challenge either.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>If you know what you are doing with your cue then it does not matter which cue it is. Allison Fisher is a great example.<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>If the cue does not matter, Allison Fisher could shoot just as well with a $10 bar cue as she can with any other cue. Surely she chooses the cue she shoots with professionally more carefully than that. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>As far as Allison, you are right, she does make a more careful decision than choosing a $10 bar cue...she chooses to use the cue from the manufacturer that pays her every year.<hr /></blockquote>
And, I'm sure she could learn to shoot about as well or better if she were using a cue from a different manufacturer who paid her enough. However, your statement about Alison as a great example is certainly not true.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>I seriously doubt there are too many great players out there that will tell you the cue is what has elevated their game to the professional level. <hr /></blockquote>
Regardless of what they would or would not say, professional players surely choose their equipment with care and with winning in mind, because of the difference equipment makes to their game.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>A player makes a player not a cue.<hr /></blockquote>
No. The equipment used in pool can easily make the difference between winning and losing. And winning and losing makes the pool player. Note: I am not saying the same pool cue used between two different players will make this difference. I am talking about the difference between two different pool cues used by the same player.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>In the end, the guy needs to get out and actually shoot with the cues he is contemplating. Everyone on this board has their own opinion for what they like and the only way to figure it out is to go shoot with a few different cues to see which feels best.<hr /></blockquote>
Yes, shooting with the cue first is definitely best, and there are many on this board who agree with you. However, there also are many pool players who come to this board asking for advise on buying equipment without having used it. And so we offer our opinions and experience to help them.

eg8r
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And, I'm sure she could learn to shoot about as well or better if she were using a cue from a different manufacturer who paid her enough. However, your statement about Alison as a great example is certainly not true. <hr /></blockquote> Why not, she is a great example that the cue does not make the player. She plays with a cuetec give me a break.

[ QUOTE ]
No. The equipment used in pool can easily make the difference between winning and losing. <hr /></blockquote> To each his own, but after reading your statement I would again ask you to read a little about Efren.

[ QUOTE ]
However, there also are many pool players who come to this board asking for advise on buying equipment without having used it. And so we offer our opinions and experience to help them. <hr /></blockquote> No disrespect but, opinions don't mean squat because the other guy shooting with your cue will probably have a different response then you will. It would be more beneficial to tell them to go try a cue and see for themselves than tell them how well you like yours.

eg8r

Heretic
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote genGOTCHA:</font><hr> OOOOOOH please fill me in my friend! What has happened with meucci that I havent been told about? Quality control????? Please please fill me in so I know. I am about to drop 300$ on a cue lol. I have made up my mind and that's whatever the cost is I will pay in order to get a cue that will truely perform and help my level of play that much more. <hr /></blockquote>

The early black dot shafts would warp no matter what you did with them, or how well you took care of them. This problem seems to have been addressed. I have two bulls eye shafts now, that are excellent to shoot with, and are perfectly straight. I did have a but cap come loose on an old meucci gambler, but a simple drop of glue fixed this, so I am not going to call this a real problem (I never really liked that stick,so I got rid of it recently).
I would not get too wrapped up in some of the testing procedures of these shafts. It is my understanding that in every single test that the predator has beaten the meucci, the predator has had a laminated tip, while the meucci was fitted with their standard LePro medium/hard non laminated tip. I would really like to see a test where all things were 100% equal, but only for reasons of semantics. I really doubt this would change my mind about either stick
My experience with both is that they do not make my game. With a few warm up shots, I can adapt to the way either shoots, just the same as I adapt to the way different tables roll.
I personally think most of the meucci bashing is done by those with little or no experience with them. I know it seems that I am taking the side of meucci here, but in truth I am only being the Devil's advocate. I take this stance because so many people seem to sing the praises of the predator, that my opinion would just be another voice in the crowd.