PDA

View Full Version : My table pockets

Drop1
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a 9' table,corner pockets at opening are four and a quarter inches,and on the sides four and a half inches. Recently I have started rattling the OB in the mouth of the pockets. I tend to shoot a little hard,and wondered if this could be the cause.

1Time
02-06-2008, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I have a 9' table,corner pockets at opening are four and a quarter inches,and on the sides four and a half inches. Recently I have started rattling the OB in the mouth of the pockets. I tend to shoot a little hard,and wondered if this could be the cause. <hr /></blockquote>
Those are tight pockets. Regardless, balls shot hard still should pocket if the pockets are designed well. However, for shots that are slightly off, more of them will fall if you roll the balls much slower.

bradb
02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Thats even tighter than a Diamond. Are you measuring from point to point?

Drop1
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
bradb.thats it,point to point.

SKennedy
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I have a 9' table,corner pockets at opening are four and a quarter inches,and on the sides four and a half inches. Recently I have started rattling the OB in the mouth of the pockets. I tend to shoot a little hard,and wondered if this could be the cause. <hr /></blockquote>
Those are tight pockets. Regardless, balls shot hard still should pocket if the pockets are designed well. However, for shots that are slightly off, more of them will fall if you roll the balls much slower. <hr /></blockquote>

Those are tight pockets. Slower is better. I also find that if I apply draw to the CB my OB tends to wobble more than normal in the pocket on a 1/2 ball or more cut shot... just as if I had hit it very hard.
I play at a place that also has the minimum pocket width. Many players complain and not many league teams are willing to play on those tables. They really don't bother me much as I can miss just as many shots on them as I can any other table..... You just have to focus and as long as both of us players are shooting on the same table I don't care how tight they are. I prefer them tight over being huge buckets where anywhere close counts.

av84fun
02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I have a 9' table,corner pockets at opening are four and a quarter inches,and on the sides four and a half inches. Recently I have started rattling the OB in the mouth of the pockets. I tend to shoot a little hard,and wondered if this could be the cause. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Harry,
As others have mentioned, those are very tight pockets and you're just going to have to slow your pace down on shots that are not relatively perpendicular to the pocket opening.

But the width of the mouth is not nearly the whole story in assessing the difficulty of pockets.

The other issues include the angle of the facing (from the points inward)...the vertical angle of the facing and the and the depth of the shelf.

I have an Olhausen 9' with 4 7/8 corner pockets that most people think are buckets (and they are in a way) BUT the shelf is VERY deep so that a ball can be fully behind the points and NOT drop!

The facings also angle fairly severely inward...from front to back...so hard shots will carom over to the opposite facing and rattle whereas with more straight facings, the balls just ricochet off the facing straight back toward the back of the pocket.

The facings also lean inward...toward each other...but I don't know how that affects the shots.

Finally, my facing material seems fairly hard. All in all, when people play on my table, they rattle shots like MAD.

Many Olhausen owners report the same thing...it's called the "Ohlausen Rattle.: (-:

There's not much...that I know of...that you can do to the pockets physically...but next time you have the table re-covered, you might have your mechanic look at the facing pads to see if softer ones might help.

As far as playing is concerned, shooting softer will clearly help and there are a couple of ways to make shooting softer easier to accomplish.

First, we amateurs are notorious for shooting too hard when there is no reason to do so. To combat that, forget about position and just shoot LOTS of racks taking BIH if need be, and try not to let a SINGLE OB hit the back of the pocket. To count...the ball must just drop off the ledge...not hitting the back of the pocket too. You may be surprised at how sofly you have to shoot to accomplish that.

You just have to INGRAIN a softer "default pace" into your game.

But often, if you don't have enough angle on a shot, then you HAVE to shoot hard. Say you have an OB a couple ball widths off one long rail and the next OB a ball or so off the opposite long rail.

If you use a follow route, the CB might have to travel 6-7 feet so you have to shoot fairly hard.

Similarly, if you have very little angle on the first OB but need to go cross table...from one long rail to the opposite long rail, then you have to pound that shot too.

The SOLUTION is to intentionally play for more angle (thinner cuts). You have to be a fairly advanced shot maker to get away with that, but if you are, then due to the thinner cut, the CB will retain more energy after OB contact and will roll MUCH further with a softer stroke.

Referring to the cross table shape mentioned above, you can get all the way across the width of the table with little more than lag speed on, say, a 30 degree cut whereas on a 10 degree cut you have to POUND the shot.

To get the feel for that strategy...again just set up thinner cuts using BIH and you will see a DRAMATIC reduction in the required pace of the shot.

It is really a thing of beauty to run entire racks and never use much more than lag speed and ANGLES are the key to doing that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jim

okinawa77
02-08-2008, 04:29 AM

Drop1,
Shooting softer helps, but if your aim is true(splitting the pocket), then hitting them hard won't matter.
When shooting rail shots, using the right type of side english will increase the pocketing percentage.