PDA

View Full Version : A Survey: What Tip Do You Have on Your Main Stick?

1Time
02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
What is the brand and model of tip do you have on your main pool stick?

And, how well do you like how it plays for you as compared to other tips you have used?

The tip on my new cue is a Sniper by Tiger. I have not shot with it yet so I have no comparison to offer at this time.

eg8r
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a Talisman extra hard. I love it.

eg8r

DeadCrab
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Moori medium. Very consistent, holds shape well.

BigRigTom
02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Call me old fashioned.

I still like my LePro Medium Hard on my Viking VX10

Heretic
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I have an Elk master soft....I developed a very soft hit after breaking my hand, and now it just feels natural

SKennedy
02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know! Really I don't. It was the original on the cue and I bought it from an individual. I've been using it for almost 2 years and it's fine. Not sure how much longer I can get by with it as I figure it's about 2/3 thru it's life. I'm hopeful it's a piece of crap tip and when I replace it with a Moori...or something decent, that I will immediately jump from a level 5 to a 7 in APA!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

randyg
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Moori Med.

SKennedy
02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Moori Med. <hr /></blockquote>

Randy? How did you know what tip I had on it? You must be one heck of an instructor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SKennedy
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Moori Med. <hr /></blockquote>
Seriously though, thanks for the "tip!" I had figured next I would try either a Moori medium or medium hard.

And I'll avoid jokes about tip hardness and aging.

CarolNYC
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Moori medium-always shot with medium-one time someone put a hard ,and I knew it right away, cause it felt like a "ping"

Carol

dr_dave
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
My main cue is a Predator Z. I use a Lepro tip, which I think is shipped standard with the Predator Z shaft. I'm not sure exactly where it fits on the hardness scale, but to me it seems like "medium" hardness. The cue and tip do a good job for me (as long as I dress the tip periodically), but some people might not like the smaller amount of squirt, or the small shaft diameter and tip size, or how the ferrule looks, or how "whippy" the end of the shaft is, as compared to other cues they might be used to.

Many people think a good player can play well with any cue as long as it is straight and smooth (even this isn't necessary for many players), doesn't squirt too much differently than one is used to (even this isn't necessary for players good at adjusting), and has a tip that is well shaped and holds chalk. I agree with these people.

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> What is the brand and model of tip do you have on your main pool stick?

And, how well do you like how it plays for you as compared to other tips you have used?

The tip on my new cue is a Sniper by Tiger. I have not shot with it yet so I have no comparison to offer at this time. <hr /></blockquote>

bsmutz
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I have a Sniper that I've been playing with for quite a while now. It is the best tip I've ever used.

Rich R.
02-07-2008, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> What is the brand and model of tip do you have on your main pool stick?

<font color="red">Moori Slow </font color>

<font color="red">The Moori Slow is the best I have found, for my taste. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's the breakdown at this point.

3 - Moori medium
2 - Sniper
2 - LePro
1 - Talisman extra hard
1 - Elk Master
1 - Moori slow
1 - unknown

Deeman3
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Sniper, after over 40 years with water buff.

wolfdancer
02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
a LePro on a Predator Z, is like putting Firestones on a Ford Explorer "These tires are especially lethal if combined with the Ford Explorer."
Most players that I know switched to an Everest, or even a Triangle (also made by Tweeten)
I have a Sniper on my 314...but I'll switch back to the Everest when I finally file this down with my shaper....

joepool
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Moori Medium

billiards89
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
i have a everest on my z2 shaft

JoeW
02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
LePro on a Predator Z shaft with a Paul Mottey butt.
Break cue is a Mace with a Water Buffalo tip.

Caromsoft
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Sniper

bataisbest
02-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Le Pro medium- hard. I find that it holds its shape and chalk well and lasts me a pretty long time.

Billy_Bob
02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I use a Moori Q (hard) tip.

I tested various tips and found that this hard tip seemed to grip the cue ball the best as compared with other hard tips I tested. (I did not test every tip.)

BLACKHEART
02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I've used every tip made, but I will say that in my shop, I sell 50 LePro or Elkmaster before I sell 12 Morri's. Hell, 80% of the people have no idea what tip is on their Q...JER

Kutter
02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>but some people might not like the smaller amount of squirt, or the small shaft diameter and tip size, or how the ferrule looks, or how "whippy" the end of the shaft is, as compared to other cues they might be used to.<hr /></blockquote>
Could you explain "whippy" as it pertains to the feel of a shaft?

dr_dave
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kutter:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>but some people might not like the smaller amount of squirt, or the small shaft diameter and tip size, or how the ferrule looks, or how "whippy" the end of the shaft is, as compared to other cues they might be used to.<hr /></blockquote>Could you explain "whippy" as it pertains to the feel of a shaft?<hr /></blockquote>As I understand it, a "whippy" shaft is very flexible and gives a "boing" feel and sound when you hit the CB off center.

I would also like to hear how other people define the term. I don't think everybody agrees on what is "whippy" and what ain't.

Regards,
Dave

1Time
02-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Survey Update:

5 - Sniper (Tiger)
4 - Moori medium
4 - LePro
1 - Talisman extra hard
1 - Elk Master
1 - Moori slow
1 - Everest (Tiger)
1 - Moori quick
1 - unknown

Sid_Vicious
02-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Moori Q tips on all my cues except for the break cue, new generation LePro on that one. Moori tips are simply the most consistent tip and they last forever(IMO.) It feels good to not have to wonder much, same as it is for using one primary cue instead of switching. sid~~~never tried a tiger

Kutter
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>As I understand it, a "whippy" shaft is very flexible and gives a "boing" feel and sound when you hit the CB off center.<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks, I think that was what I referred to in an earlier thread, as a "vibration" I was feeling when testing new sticks. I "HATE" that feel. I will have to check again, I wasn't aware it only was occurring when hitting off center. The sticks I am used to using have never produced it, even when shooting off center, so I wasn't prepared for it when it showed up.
Sorry for being off topic.

pooldaddy9
02-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I try all kinds but always change back to a LePro. I guess it's what you get used to.

canadan
02-16-2008, 08:27 PM
just got a elk put on...give her a shot didnt like the hurc i was using...wanted to try a soft tip, softest i could find

Heretic
02-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I just put a Moori medium on one of my sticks....Either I am really good at adapting (VERY UNLIKELY) or they really do not do much more than a standard medium.. I am not convinced they are that much better, as to be worth the difference in price.

av84fun
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Moori medium.

Ace
02-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Moori (Hard)

Jager85
02-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I have used and tested a few tips and here are my comments on each:

Current - Tiger Soft - Like it alot, hold shape well, feels similar, but not quite as good as an elk master.

Elk Master - Personal favorite; slightly better feel than the Tiger Soft, but does not hold its shape well and the tip life is alot lower. The comparison in life to the cost of the tip makes this tip still cheaper, but the more I change my tip, the more chance I have of damaging my ferrule(which is why I stick with laminated mostly).

Moori Soft - Hate it; this tip felt hard and I miscued often when using extreme english. I was told the tip may have been put on bad, but it is not worth my time to retry it.

Tiger Sniper - This tip is excellent; runs in comparison to the feel of the elk master with the ability to hold its shape such as the Tiger Soft, but it is on my wife's cue and that adds in more varables. I will probably try this on my cue during my next tip change.

Triangle - Hits well and holds it shape decently. I like it, and had no problems with it, but I prefer a softer tip.

LePro - Original tip I used when started shooting.
Never had any problems with it, but switched to Triangle and prefered the Triangle over the LePro.
Curtis

MikeM
02-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Talisman Med.

AnitoKid
02-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Talisman on my OB-1 shaft and Sniper on my Pred shafts.

1Time
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnitoKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talisman on my OB-1 shaft and Sniper on my Pred shafts.

. </div></div>

Which is your main stick? And, which Talisman?

cue_z
02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree with most here. I have a medium moori on my McDermott. I play on an APA Team here in NH. Last year we won the Triple Cup in Plaistow,NH. We play again to go to Vegas. Sorry...just excited I guess!!!

bluey2king
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Moori Med...!!!
I have been thinking of trying Tiger Sniper but have not as of yet,

1Time
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Survey Results:

8 - Moori medium
5 - Sniper (Tiger)
5 - LePro
3 - Moori quick
2 - Elk Master
1 - Talisman extra hard
1 - Moori slow
1 - Everest (Tiger)
1 - Tiger soft
1 - Talisman medium
1 - unknown

---------------------------

And now for the awards!

For the most popular tip, the award goes to Moori medium.

For the most likely tip to be preferred, the award goes to Talisman medium.

Thanks to all who participated. Please exit the building immediately and hold the rioting to a minimum.