PDA

View Full Version : memories of old sticks

Heretic
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
As I sat here and read about people looking for and buying cue sticks, I just had to laugh. I remember buying my first two piece cue, and how cool I thought it was. It was some POS sporting goods store thing that I think I paid $20 for,and a little more for a crappy vinyl case. It had no rap or design. It was just a plane birdseye maple but, I thought I had the world by the tail. I used this for years until one day (around the year 1990) I decided I needed something a little nicer, so I bought a Karella from a local pool hall. I really did not know the difference between a good or a bad stick, But that Karella was the best I could afford. I only had it for about a year,and it warped into a corkscrew. Now it seems that my taste has changed, and I have become a little more selective in my choice of sticks, but at times I wish I could remember what happened to that first one.

So what kind of stick did the rest of you start out with, and what do you remember about playing with it?

CarolNYC
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey Lee,
OMG-the first cue was called a Stamboulini-I have no idea what it was made of-I just thought it was "pretty" and new it was 19 oz. that was it!-I wouldnt even let anyone touch it,ha ha
Then came the Helmstetter-along with 3 other Helmstetters /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

LarryMoy
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
My very first cue was a department store cue -- a Minnesota Fats model that was not even made of maple. Instead it was made of cheap ramen wood. The cue had a brass joint and no wrap, although it did come with a vinyl case which I still use to store extra shafts in. The cue did not last long, which is not a surprise, but it was very special to me at the time. I then got another department store type cue. No wrap again, but it had a nifty red, white and blue decal on the back end. Won it at a kids' pool tournament held by a pool table/spa store that had opened up in my town. I was home from school sick with the flu, but still went to the tournament. The local paper took a photo, and the next day I had a lot of explaining to do. My first real cue was a Joss, which Toby Sweet ordered from Danny Janes for me in 1978. I still have the Joss and use it often. Just four simple spliced points with a thin, Rambow-style ring below the wrap.

Rich R.
02-08-2008, 08:40 AM
My first cue was purchased from a friend. It was a fairly plain custom, made by a local cue maker, and I paid him $40 for it. This was in 1968 or 1969.
My second cue was purchased from another friend, just a short time later. It was only a week old, but he was in a financial pinch and had to sell it. It was made by the same guy who made my first cue and I paid $80 for it. Although it has been retired from play, I still have that cue and it holds a lot of memories for me. It is the one cue I will never sell.

catscradle
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
my first cue was given to me by a friend because he was no longer playing. It was a McDermott EJ-B model. A plain, but decent cue. Gave it back to him a couple of years ago when he started playing again.

Vapros
02-08-2008, 03:05 PM
My first stick was from Sears, I believe, but at least it was in the Sporting Goods department. It was a signature model; Rudy Ferguson or somebody like that. It had two weighted rings at the joint, and the salesman said I should break the rack with the heaviest version and then remove the weights while I ran the rest of the balls, or perhaps replace one of the rings when shooting a combination of more than two balls.

It was a scam. That stick never ran a rack. I kept it for a month - maybe fifteen hours of play - after which the threads wore out and I had to give it up. During that time, however, I'm pretty sure I potted no less than sixty-five or seventy balls. I also missed some, if memory serves. Come to think of it, I should have saved those rings as proof. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
When I first came up from the states in 76 I took up snooker. I was using house cues and was having a horrible time finding one I liked. When I did find one, I would hide it under a table for the next time I came in. One day the owner came up and handed me a little $80 Dufferin. I bought it and I played with nothing else for about 8 years. I had my first near century break with that cue!

Later when I moved my family to BC our house was broken into and it was stolen. When I checked with Dufferin they no longer made it. I was sick... I never found another stick that I felt comfortable with like that cheap little cue.

putz0999
02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
My first stick was a Brunswick that I paid $105 for. I had it for about 3 years and at least 5000 games of pool. I was playing in a small tournament in SW Washington and left it leaning against the bar as I was getting ready to leave. I walked out the door, realized that I had forgotten it, went back in and it was gone. It took all of about 15 seconds for it to disappear. I was pretty sick about it. That stick had been all over the country with me.

I then went into Portland, OR, and ended up buying two signature Rempe sticks (Adams, I think. I was told that he signed sticks for Adams for 3 years). I gave one to my mother and kept the other. I have shot with my Rempe for 28 years and it is still straight and only has 1 tiny ding in the shaft. In all these years, it has only had the tip replaced 1 time. I had the stick appraised recently at over $2K, mostly because of the ammount of ivory. My mother recently had to retire from pool shooting and gave me back the other Rempe. She also had a Joss that she gave to my sister. I now have 2 1980 signature Rempe sticks and a McD that belonged to my father.

Thanks for making me think about the "old" sticks.

Putz

Heretic
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote putz0999:</font><hr>

Thanks for making me think about the "old" sticks.

Putz <hr /></blockquote>

LOL.....I think this subject put a smile on a few faces.
I have quite a collection of sticks, and just seem to keep gathering up more. I do miss that first one on occasions though....

My friends and I all joke about my obsession with sticks, but it is something I can live with /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

genGOTCHA
02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
My first cue ever was a players cue. I am only age 24 though and problably 13 when I got that cue. As a kid playing others it was simply steriotypical if you had a cue your problably a good player. If you were using a house cue, problably did not have to worry about you.
With that cue, I learned a great many things as I thought I was unbeatable with it. I learned how to draw across the table from watching mizeraks video using that cue. I learned how to curve and masse, and that a decent cue could masse as a cheapy was very very difficult. I learned that soft tips dont grab the CB like people think, but a hard tip really gets the english moving. I never warped that cue no matter how much I broke with it, and to this day it's problably one of my all time favorite cues.
My Meucci Freshman 04 , was my biggest jump in a cue. However looking into buying another high end cue soon I dont know if I want to buy a meucci from the horror stories I have been told.

Ralph_Kramden
02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
My first cue wasn't really mine. I used to work part time in a poolroom after school cleaning tables, balls and the floor.
The owner kept a one piece house cue with veneers in the splice behind the counter for me. I was the only one that used that cue for over 3 years.
When I got back from the service in '64 both the poolroom and the cue were gone forever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BLACKHEART
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I started hanging out at the pool hall in 1956. Sometime that year I bought a 17 oz. Willie Hopee Q. It had a 12mm Ivory ferrule &amp; tip. I only played Snooker in thoose days &amp; I loved that Q. I paid $40 (used). That Q in good condition, now brings several hundred dollars...JER

Bambu
02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
The first stick I ever got was won in a game when I was 12 years old. A typical loudmouth named Jerry Clark spot me 50 on 100, straight pool. It was 25 bucks against his cue, and I used it until I was about 17. The cue was nothing special, but boy was I proud of it at the time. Thanks for allowing me to re-hash that memory, Heretic.

bradb
02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I started hanging out at the pool hall in 1956. Sometime that year I bought a 17 oz. Willie Hopee Q. It had a 12mm Ivory ferrule &amp; tip. I only played Snooker in thoose days &amp; I loved that Q. I paid $40 (used). That Q in good condition, now brings several hundred dollars...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I had a Willy Hoppe ash cue as my second cue. I made the mistake of leaning it up against the wall in storage while i was on vacation. When I came back it became my "shoot around corners cue."

I finally sold it for 20 bucks to a kid who did'nt know the difference. Actually the kid shot pretty good with it.

Mac if you are reading this... I know!...I should have never sold it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I started hanging out at the pool hall in 1956. Sometime that year I bought a 17 oz. Willie Hopee Q. It had a 12mm Ivory ferrule &amp; tip. I only played Snooker in thoose days &amp; I loved that Q. I paid $40 (used). That Q in good condition, now brings several hundred dollars...JER<hr /></blockquote>I had a Willy Hoppe ash cue as my second cue. I made the mistake of leaning it up against the wall in storage while i was on vacation. When I came back it became my "shoot around corners cue." I finally sold it for 20 bucks to a kid who did'nt know the difference. Actually the kid shot pretty good with it.
Mac if you are reading this... I know!...I should have never sold it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>Brad -- My dad bort me my first cue in about 1964 when i woz 17. I remember that we drove to Melbourne, he probably needed cloth etc to re-cloth our pub-billiards table at our pub in Ballarat. This cue woz a maple shafted 17oz 10mm billiards cue. Anyhow, it turned up about 10yrs ago, it still had the original leather tip (now az hard az the hobz of hell), and, a great big bend about 6" from the tip. The badge iz missing, and i dont remember the brand, but i still see lots of cues like it. I keep it in pozzy No1 in my cue-rack on the wall of my new billiard room. But i guess that i aint ever going to uze it in a serious game. madMac.

BigRigTom
02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
My 1st 2 piece cue was a Valley 17 oz sneaky pete with a very soft tip. I paid $60 for it at a billiards supply store in Matteson, Illinois in 1990.
I thought it was a good price, I knew NOTHING about custom cues at that time, I just wanted my own cue that I could walk into a bar with and a half hour later no one would know I was playing with my own cue. That all worked great but then I quickly realized that I now had to keep my hand or my eye or both on that damn cue or someone else would be using it as a house cue.
I managed to hang onto it thru many a late nite sessions even after having a few beers, I did have to go back for it a couple of times (found it in the cue rack on the wall more than once). Finally in about 1993 I carved my initials in the butt so I could id my cue when someone else picked it up, that saved me a fight a couple of times too.

Great memories and they have made me realize just how lucky I have been over the years to still have that cue. It probably is not worth the $60 I paid for it but the memories I have of the games I played with it are priceless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif It now has the #1 slot in my cue rack and I let anyone use it if they ask 1st but I would not want to part with it. That cue is like an old friend sitting back there reminding me of great times I had in places I may never see again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

yat
02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
My first cue was a Doc Fry. I still have it.

AnitoKid
02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
My first cue was a graphite one given to me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Was very proud of it all! I still have it! No kidding! Am keeping it for sentimental reasons! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Then I got a CueTec - fiberglass shaft! Twas pretty cool at that time - that's what I thought then.

I purchased a Predator 2 after two weeks of having the CueTec. And the P2 has remained one of my uber-favorites to this day. And I kid you not! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cue_z
02-24-2008, 08:48 PM
My first cue was a Sears special LOL. A Maroon Titanium Mizerak 19 oz. I still have it and use it occasionally to play at neighborhood bars. My Mcdermott was my second stick. It is 19 oz. also and it is the one I use while plying my APA games. I have nicknamed it "BRUCE" after the shark in the movie "JAWS" as it has a great white on it with an 8-ball in it's mouth.

Rackum_n_Crackum
03-03-2008, 01:18 PM
My first cue (of any quality) was a plane Jane Mali I picked up for about $100.00 back in the EARLY 90's............And I STILL have it, I am now using it for a break cue or fir when I play on red tables, but it's still as straight as the day I got it, and I've pounded it since day 1....

The only reason I replaced it was because I wanted something a little fancier..

DickLeonard
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
My first cue was a Rambow, 23.99 and 5 dollars for an extra shaft.####

old-timer
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone
I am newly registered to the forum, though I've been lurking for several years now. I always enjoy reading the posts but have usually not had much to say. The topic of this discussion though reminds me of how I got started. I had already been playing for probably 8 or 10 years before I got a part-time job brushing tables and fixing cues in a pool-hall in Ft. Myers, Fla. It was at that time that I bought my first cue. I can't remember how much it costs. It couldn't have been much. I seem to remember the dealer who came around in his truck calling it an Italian Cat Cue. It was thin, around 11mm and had a screw-off tip. This would have been around 1963 probably. I really got used to this cue and won a fair amount of cash with it, for a small time player. It believe it was in 1965 or 66 that I busted the cue making a masse' shot in a 5/9 game in Key West. It never ocurred to my young self at that time to use a house cue to do that. I have not been able to find out anything more about that cue in my researches lately.

Deeman3
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
My first one was a Palmer PB in about 1968. I still miss that cue. My second was my Balabuska I still have but don't play with. I found another Palmer exactly the same as my original but it was warped and not in good enough condition for the money $1,000).

A nice subject for sure.

hondo
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Mine was an aluminum stick made in England.
Still have it.
First serious stick was Meucci OL1, " The Diamond."
Still have it too.
Now my favorite stick is unwrapped 1/1 Tim Scruggs.

hondo
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first cue was a Doc Fry. I still have it. </div></div>

Hang on to it!