PDA

View Full Version : Billiard balls

rick2752
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Is there a way to tell what level of Aramith balls certain brands are. Are the Olhausen balls Super pros? What about the IPT balls? Are they premier or premium? Thanks for all your help.

Rich R.
02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rick2752:</font><hr> Is there a way to tell what level of Aramith balls certain brands are. Are the Olhausen balls Super pros? What about the IPT balls? Are they premier or premium? Thanks for all your help. <hr /></blockquote>
What makes you think that all of these ball sets are made by Aramith, or it's parent company, Saluc? I know both Aramith and Centennial balls are made by Saluc. But I really don't know if the others are or not.

rick2752
02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Basically just searching Ebay for Aramith balls. There are a set of IPT balls for around 85, and Olhausens for 110. Both have the Aramith pamphlet and are advertised as Aramith. Cant be 100% but they seem to be legit. Am I way off base?

Rich R.
02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rick2752:</font><hr> Basically just searching Ebay for Aramith balls. There are a set of IPT balls for around 85, and Olhausens for 110. Both have the Aramith pamphlet and are advertised as Aramith. Cant be 100% but they seem to be legit. Am I way off base? <hr /></blockquote>
I honestly don't know if they are made by Aramith or not.
As I said, a company named Saluc makes all of the Aramith balls and Brunswick Centennial balls. It wouldn't surprise me if they made others, but I don't know which others or how they would compare with the Aramith or Centennial sets.

Caromsoft
02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Several posters over at AZB have purchased/played with the IPT balls and described them as very good quality, comparable to the Aramith Super Pros or Brunswick Centennials. I have a set on order myself. They are supposed to be made by Sulac.

cushioncrawler
02-11-2008, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rick2752:</font><hr> Is there a way to tell what level of Aramith balls certain brands are. Are the Olhausen balls Super pros? What about the IPT balls? Are they premier or premium? Thanks for all your help.<hr /></blockquote>Level? Level?? Level??? I'll tell u what level, they are krap level. They are not Aramiths, they are Krapamiths. Dirty rotten soft lite hi-gloss krap. Thats what level. madMac.

Caromsoft
02-12-2008, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>Level? Level?? Level??? I'll tell u what level, they are krap level. They are not Aramiths, they are Krapamiths. Dirty rotten soft lite hi-gloss krap. Thats what level. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>I received my IPT balls today and thought I would post a photo of them.

http://www.caromsoft.com/ipt.html

As you can see they are Aramith balls, as indicated on the box and both inserts...but thanks for your informed and thoughtful opinion.

BigRigTom
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
So they are made by Saluc of Belgium....correct?

Here is a link to their web site:
Saluc Home Page (http://www.saluc.com/html/home.htm)

JoeW
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I have three sets of Aramith balls and they are somewhat different from each other.

The standard Super Aramith Pros are the best. They are white and have clearly defined markings for stripes and numbers. These clear marking make it easier to target a specific place on a ball relative to the markings.

The Centennial balls are my personal favorite. They are slightly creamier in color. The edges and numbers are not as well defined.

The IPT balls are similar to the Super Aramith. I found that I can feel the edge lines around the numbers with my finger tips. I do not use these balls.

I also bought the Measles cue ball and find that it plays no different than a Red Dot or a Blue Dot cue ball. The Red Dot and the Measles balls may be a little lighter and or made of slightly different materials as they seem to be livelier than the Blue Dot but I am not sure about that. The additional dots on the Measles cue ball make it much easier to see the effect that stroke has on the CB. The Measles ball and the Super Aramith Pros are the only balls I currently use.

wolfdancer
02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
We weighed, with a gram scale once...and the measles ball, and blue dot are 4 or 5 grams heavier then the red dot. While the red and blue look like they are different plastics...Fred Agnir (Cornerman), a plastics engineer...wrote that they are the same (hope I'm quoting Fred correctly) The Red seems livelier....but the Blue comes with the set of Centennials

CarolNYC
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Dr. Joe,
[ QUOTE ]
The Measles ball and the Super Aramith Pros are the only balls I currently use.
<hr /></blockquote>
I,too, used these,then received a set of the TV balls and use them,now!
Stay well!
Carol

Heretic
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I bought a set of the Elephant swirl colored balls, and so far have been happy with them. (If the truth be told, my daughter saw them being used on an ESPN tourney, on TV, and had to have them AND the blue felt). I have found that you do have to keep the table well lit to avoid confusion though

JoeW
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> We weighed, with a gram scale once...and the measles ball, and blue dot are 4 or 5 grams heavier then the red dot. While the red and blue look like they are different plastics...Fred Agnir (Cornerman), a plastics engineer...wrote that they are the same (hope I'm quoting Fred correctly) The Red seems livelier....but the Blue comes with the set of Centennials <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, my Centennials are 20 years old, hence my discrepancies. I knew they played differently just not too sure what the differences were. I suspect that the Measles may seem livelier because I am better able to see what it is doing. I have always liked the Red Dot from the first game I played with it -- now I know why.

Hi back at you Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Aside from the colors are the TV balls any different in your opinion?

JoeW
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I do not know anything about the Elephant balls but it seems to me that when I play with anything other than Super Araamith I can feel some sort of differences. Seems like most other balls are heavy or they are sluggish -- for want of a better term.

Heretic
02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoeW:</font><hr> I do not know anything about the Elephant balls but it seems to me that when I play with anything other than Super Araamith I can feel some sort of differences. Seems like most other balls are heavy or they are sluggish -- for want of a better term. <hr /></blockquote>
I have the super aramith balls as well, but they just sit in the rack now......when weighed against the enjoyment I get from playing with my daughter, color really doesn't matter as much as the smile on her face

I do find the elephant balls to be very lively though. Plus my table is fast

JoeW
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I can understand that. I have four daughters and enjoy playing whenever they are home. It is not about the balls, it is about family and what could possibly be more important than that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Caromsoft
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> So they are made by Saluc of Belgium....correct?
<hr /></blockquote>That is correct, they are made by Sulac.

Caromsoft
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoeW:</font><hr>The IPT balls are similar to the Super Aramith. I found that I can feel the edge lines around the numbers with my finger tips. I do not use these balls.
<hr /></blockquote>I can feel the edge lines as well, it is very slight. I'm not sure how that would effect play...at my level probably not at all!

CarolNYC
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from the colors are the TV balls any different in your opinion <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Dr.Joe,
No,no difference I can tell /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Bob_Jewett
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Caromsoft:</font><hr>...but thanks for your informed and thoughtful opinion. <hr /></blockquote>
What "coozhin creweluer" meant to say is that he considers all modern balls to be Krap. He considers only Sooper Crustalite -- which closed shop a long time ago -- to be worth playing with. Really.

A particular complaint of "cc"'s is that the modern balls exhibit a lot of kicks (or you might call them skids or clings or bad contacts). This is certainly a problem at the top levels of play, but it's hard to tell whether there are more skids with modern equipment than with the old stuff. Or maybe it's due to the chalk or something else. I talked recently with one multi-time world champion after a recent tournament and he said that pretty much every contact during the whole tournament was bad, at least a little.

Heretic
02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Caromsoft:</font><hr>...but thanks for your informed and thoughtful opinion. <hr /></blockquote>
What "coozhin creweluer" meant to say is that he considers all modern balls to be Krap. He considers only Sooper Crustalite -- which closed shop a long time ago -- to be worth playing with. Really.

A particular complaint of "cc"'s is that the modern balls exhibit a lot of kicks (or you might call them skids or clings or bad contacts). This is certainly a problem at the top levels of play, but it's hard to tell whether there are more skids with modern equipment than with the old stuff. Or maybe it's due to the chalk or something else. I talked recently with one multi-time world champion after a recent tournament and he said that pretty much every contact during the whole tournament was bad, at least a little. <hr /></blockquote>

Can this be attributed to, or even compounded by other things? There have been noticeable improvements in felt, cue sticks, and tips. What effects do they have on ball hits, through the spin of the balls?

cushioncrawler
02-15-2008, 02:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Caromsoft:</font><hr>...but thanks for your informed and thoughtful opinion.<hr /></blockquote>What "coozhin creweluer" meant to say is that he considers all modern balls to be Krap. He considers only Sooper Crustalite -- which closed shop a long time ago -- to be worth playing with. Really. A particular complaint of "cc"'s is that the modern balls exhibit a lot of kicks (or you might call them skids or clings or bad contacts). This is certainly a problem at the top levels of play, but it's hard to tell whether there are more skids with modern equipment than with the old stuff. Or maybe it's due to the chalk or something else. I talked recently with one multi-time world champion after a recent tournament and he said that pretty much every contact during the whole tournament was bad, at least a little.<hr /></blockquote>Bob -- Yes, the old Crystalate and Bonzoline (and others) were i reckon better, koz they were harder and had lo-gloss (not hi-gloss), and they were possibly heavier.

I spent a few minutes last week testing a set of ivory billiard ballz (theze belong to a viziting mate) for mini-kicks and maxi-kicks (chalk-kicks). I hope to get an ivory set myself, and i can then do lots of testing. madMac.

wolfdancer
02-15-2008, 09:35 AM
reminds me of a very old joke:
It reminded me of a very old joke:
"Balls", cried the queen, "If I had two, I'd be King"
"Ha", laughed the King, not because he wanted to, but because he had two.....