PDA

View Full Version : Scientist concerned about global COOLING!

pooltchr
02-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Read the sunspots
The mud at the bottom of B.C. fjords reveals that solar output drives climate change - and that we should prepare now for dangerous global cooling

R. TIMOTHY PATTERSON, Financial Post
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Story Tools
-+ Change font size

Print this story

E-Mail this story
Share This Story
Facebook

Digg

Del.icio.us

More

In some fields the science is indeed "settled." For example, plate tectonics, once highly controversial, is now so well-established that we rarely see papers on the subject at all. But the science of global climate change is still in its infancy, with many thousands of papers published every year. In a 2003 poll conducted by German environmental researchers Dennis Bray and Hans von Storch, two-thirds of more than 530 climate scientists from 27 countries surveyed did not believe that "the current state of scientific knowledge is developed well enough to allow for a reasonable assessment of the effects of greenhouse gases." About half of those polled stated that the science of climate change was not sufficiently settled to pass the issue over to policymakers at all.

Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe solar cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth. Beginning to plan for adaptation to such a cool period, one which may continue well beyond one 11-year cycle, as did the Little Ice Age, should be a priority for governments. It is global cooling, not warming, that is the major climate threat to the world, especially Canada. As a country at the northern limit to agriculture in the world, it would take very little cooling to destroy much of our food crops, while a warming would only require that we adopt farming techniques practiced to the south of us.

Meantime, we need to continue research into this, the most complex field of science ever tackled, and immediately halt wasted expenditures on the King Canute-like task of "stopping climate change."

R. Timothy Patterson is professor and director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Centre, Department of Earth Sciences, Carleton University.

<1234 >
Close

SKennedy
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I saw a portion of Gore's movie a couple of days ago, and then last night saw some recent stuff about potential cooling and concerns, etc. because of the sun's inactivity from quite a few scientists and groups. They advocate that all the gases and mufflers, etc. in the world we can produce are completely insignficant to the sun's influence on our weather. Isn't it interesting? Time will tell and according to the soothsayers it will be too late....oh well!
My one comment about Gore's movie...while the pretense of the movie is global warming, I did note that he managed to make much of the movie about himself and how wonderful he is now and always has been....he knew about global warming in the mid-70's...and how concerned he was as a young senator (with photo and movie close-ups), and how when he presented all this end of the world drama nobody in Congress seemed to care or wanted to listen to him.....poor, poor man! So brilliant, and so caring.... what a guy! He's a Nobel Prize winner yet he's still the "Rodney Daingerfield" of the political world...sorry Rodney...may you rest in peace.

pooltchr
02-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Here's a link to the entire article if anyone is interested

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=597d0677-2a05-47b4-b34f-b84068db11f4&p=1

Steve

wolfdancer
02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I think before the earth produces free ice cubes for your cocktails.....we might get some 6 degrees of separation, first....
web page (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/sixdegrees/index.html)
Don't fret about Gore's Nobel Prize...I hear GWB is being considered in two categories...economics and "The Art Of War"

SKennedy
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
You're still my write-in candidate Wolf!! I would suggest Deeman as your running mate....balanced ticket and all...

wolfdancer
02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry, I stopped reading Science fiction after Arthur Clarke decided that two suns were better then one (2010) but enjoyed his
"Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!"

wolfdancer
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LWW
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
You are aware that the show you refer to is a "WHAT IF" and not a prediction at all.

LWW

eg8r
02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw a portion of Gore's movie a couple of days ago, and then last night saw some recent stuff about potential cooling and concerns, etc. because of the sun's inactivity from quite a few scientists and groups. They advocate that all the gases and mufflers, etc. in the world we can produce are completely insignficant to the sun's influence on our weather. Isn't it interesting? <hr /></blockquote> The lefties are the only ones on this planet that have forgotten about the sun. The rest of us already knew this.

eg8r

wolfdancer
02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
AND you are aware of global warming?

LWW
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes, and I'm aware that they don't even BEGIN to claim that they have evidence of a 6 degree change coming ... it's sensationalism sold to the simpleminded who will see it as a prediction and sold to the educated as an interesting bit of scientific "WHAT IF?" fantasy.

LWW

wolfdancer
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
The lefties are the only ones on this planet that have forgotten about the sun. The rest of us already knew this.
Well, we are not the expert climatologists that apparently all the Republicans are.
We just read some reports, watch documentaries on TV, see the photos of falling icebergs, rising waters, eroding coral reefs, etc...and take a wild guess that maybe something is happening.
I guess as long as it remains just a political issue...thanks to the right...any "causes and cures" will be placed on the back burner...

eg8r
02-09-2008, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The lefties are the only ones on this planet that have forgotten about the sun. The rest of us already knew this.
Well, we are not the expert climatologists that apparently all the Republicans are.
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, since when does someone have to be a climatologist to know the sun warms the earth much faster than our exhaust. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We just read some reports, watch documentaries on TV, see the photos of falling icebergs, rising waters, eroding coral reefs, etc...and take a wild guess that maybe something is happening.
<hr /></blockquote> No one has argued once that the earth was getting warmer, we were arguing over the cause. The looney left thinks it is caused by man.

eg8r

wolfdancer
02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Well,I wouldn't want you to give up driving your SUV....but like I say, we just don't have the same access to the data that you guys have down at RNC HQ.
We just read things like Co2 emissions, etc...BUT have also read...it has passed the point of no return.....
It's going to happen regardless....the big Q is when? 15 yrs, 50 yrs....????
I wouldn't be buying no waterfront property down there in Fla

wolfdancer
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Is that your new avatar on the left?...and the spiffy new Republican...excuse me, Libertarian, uniform?
I thought the program to be showing what could happen "IF" ....and unless you have data that proves otherwise...."IT" might be true.

eg8r
02-09-2008, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well,I wouldn't want you to give up driving your SUV <hr /></blockquote> LOL, you mean my 10 year 35 mpg Civic? Don't make poor assumptions.

[ QUOTE ]
but like I say, we just don't have the same access to the data that you guys have down at RNC HQ.
<hr /></blockquote> The more often you say it the crazier it sounds. Do you really need someone else to tell you that our heat source is the sun and it is the major factor?

eg8r

sack316
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
all this global warming stuff, global this, doomsday that. Don't you all realize your computers are probably still not Y2K compliant and all this crap won't matter anyway by golly?????

Which reminds me about Gore... when all that was going down, why was the man with such hard fought diligence on EVERY issue in the world he claims to be an expert on, so silent on that matter for so long? I mean, ten years ago I was barely "intermediate" level on computers and knew that such a bug couldn't happen the way people were worried about. Surely the man who "invented", or for the sake of keeping the peace, "helped out tremendously" on so many technological things-- would have known that and put the american people and the world at ease. Perhaps if he had been an opportunist on that matter, and actually knew what he was talking about, the dems would be crying about him leaving office this year and the rest of us could blame all the worlds problems on him... instead of the vice versa we presently have. Just a random tangent thought this thread somehow popped into my head lol

Sack

LWW
02-10-2008, 04:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>I thought the program to be showing what could happen "IF" ....and unless you have data that proves otherwise...."IT" might be true.<hr /></blockquote>
Wolfie, that's the bassackwards thinking that gets you in trouble. Your NGC show is your "EVIDENCE" and they don't even claim it's happening ... it's semsationalism sold to simpletons.

If you need further evidence HERE (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080121-antarctica-volcano.html) is your very source explaining that the polar melting has nothing to do with CO2 and everything to do with sitting on top of a volcano that has been long dormant. D'UH!

BTW, HERE (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1130_051130_ice_age.html) is your same source predicting that we are headed for a new ice age.

LWW

LWW
02-10-2008, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Here's a link to the entire article if anyone is interested

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=597d0677-2a05-47b4-b34f-b84068db11f4&amp;p=1

Steve <hr /></blockquote>
You should no better.

The last thing a partisan wants to read is evidence.

LWW

wolfdancer
02-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry, but your post reads more like something lww would write. it's disappointing coming from you.
A party "line" that makes little sense

LWW
02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
And again you demonstrate a preference for making judgements from ignorance rather than from education.

Now, run along Toto and tell everyone how mean I was.

LWW

wolfdancer
02-11-2008, 12:08 AM
instead of thinking that you are mean...I think you are just a total a**hole...trying to pretend you are a big shot. Leona Helmlsey was mean....you're just an annoying twit

Stretch
02-11-2008, 06:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> instead of thinking that you are mean...I think you are just a total a**hole...trying to pretend you are a big shot. Leona Helmlsey was mean....you're just an annoying twit <hr /></blockquote>

Amen. St.

LWW
02-11-2008, 07:14 AM
So, both of you feel tough because you can call names but neither of you have the testicular fortitude to walk from your cocoon and take it an actual scientific opinion that wasn't marketed to partisans, moonbats, and scientific illiterates.

LWW &lt;---UNIMPRESSED.

Deeman3
02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> You're still my write-in candidate Wolf!! I would suggest Deeman as your running mate....balanced ticket and all... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> A chicken in ever pot and a 1911 .45 under every armpit! This, of course, would be the dream ticket that all are thinking of and would set new standards in "Geezer" politics.

You say tomato and I say tomoto and we'll work the whole thing out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

wolfdancer
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
l,I just watched another program on GW...on the weather channel...and was more impressed with that then anything you are putting out as Gospel. If you keep digging, you might even find an article that claims Joe DiMaggio shot JFK in a dispute over MM.....or that a one armed man was responsible for the Simpson murders ...There's a new 1 mil miles of open water in the artic, and Russia claims ownership that any future oil and gas discoveries that can now be found...(a retired Army group led by Gen. Wesley Clarke wants to study the implications these new seaways)
I could give a sh*t what you believe on GW...you can post all the articles that you want...and it would be offset by what I see and hear. You can't sell it to anyone that believes the climate is changing...and I won't try to sell my beliefs to you.
I don't insist that anyone read my suggested articles....so why are we required to read yours??????????????????
I'm also unimpressed with your "proof"...and I'm not here to impress you....despite the fact you believe yourself to be the key player here

LWW
02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Did you watch the 6 degrees thing?

If so did you notice what was on a little earlier on NGC, produced and dierected by NGC?

The coming ice age?

I found that quite comical ... but I realize a doublethink practitioner can believe both is upon us and never see a conflict.

B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH ... B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH ... B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH!

LWW

LWW

wolfdancer
02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know if you realize it...but you even now stutter when you write.
"....The second theory suggests that stuttering is a psychological problem-that stuttering is an underlying problem that can be treated with psychotherapy."
Hey, maybe Dr. JoeW can help you..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif