PDA

View Full Version : Players' rooms in ME, NH?

08-04-2002, 05:24 PM
I expect to be in Maine and New Hampshire later this summer. Can anyone direct me to players' rooms up there? I like good tables and lights, modest hourly rates, and a karaoke-free environment.

Thanks for your help!

Goldfish

08-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Hey Goldfish.

I will be in N.H. on August 13-14-15th. Is that close to your schedule? Randy Goettlicher

NH_Steve
08-04-2002, 06:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: randygt:</font><hr> Hey Goldfish.

I will be in N.H. on August 13-14-15th. Is that close to your schedule? Randy Goettlicher <hr></blockquote>I live here -- is that close enough /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ?

I live here, but I rarely play in NH, due to the lack of 'player's rooms'. If you don't mind mostly eight ball and large pocketed Olhausen tables, Legends in Portsmouth has the advantage of being in my favorite NH historic coastal town -- with lots of great restaurants, too.

NH's largest city, Manchester, has tons of pool players, but they pretty much stick to the many 'private' clubs (not particularly private -- just sign the guest book when you walk in the door), and mainly they play their own variation of 'Golf', which they call 'Around the World'.

I actually drive to Brighton Billiards (pretty much in Boston), which is a very nice 8 table player oriented room featuring lots of one pocket.

I can give you some other places if you want -- but these would be my first choices...

NH_Steve
08-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Maine is a surprisingly big state -- as in pretty long drives to some places. My number one player's room in the state would be Spot Shot Billiards, in Portland -- a nice central location &amp; you should easily find a game there. Grady Matthews even hung out there for a year or so (but he has since moved back to SC I believe).
Waterville, ME (a bit farther north) also has always had a player's room -- TJ's is the name I think...

08-05-2002, 05:00 AM
There are some great poolrooms in Maine. I would have to recommend TJ's Classic Billiards in Waterville, Exit #33 b/c that was the room that i played out of during my four years of college.The owner of the poolroom is a great guy his name is T.J. There are about 20 Brunswick Gold Crowns with Granito cloth, tables 2 and 3 are the best ones to play on. Two other rooms i would recommend in Maine are Spot Shot Billiards in Portland and Russels in Bangor Maine, which is about 45 minutes north of TJ's in Waterville. Hope this info helps out a little, and enjoy your stay in the Northeast.

~Tiffany~

08-05-2002, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the very helpful information! Just what I wanted.

Randy: I won't be there until the first or second week of September. Also--and I hate to admit this--you're just too good for me. Maybe sometime in the future, when I've figured out what those little blocks of chalk are for...

Regards,

Goldfish

Voodoo Daddy
08-05-2002, 06:08 AM
Is this the same Tiffany that lives in Florida now?

08-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Goldfish. Sorry to hear that our travel plans differ. Thanks for the complement, but we would have had a great time at some locals' expense....randyg