PDA

View Full Version : Encountered a player on amphetamines

genGOTCHA
02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Have you ever played against someone on drugs? Like people who play all day from the morning, onto the closing of the billiards and hint about being "wired"?

Whats your opinions on these encounters, or anyone who does drugs and plays? I have someone who is convinced they cannot play better without being on a methyl amphetamine.

Heretic
02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I used to be a bar bouncer, so I have encountered this a lot.......Usually I avoid them whenever possible.

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Not to degrade PHs mind you, but "enhancements" during bathroom breaks and parking lot trips are a reality for some players. You have to remember that to some peeps, pool is their income. Play this game for money enough and you will see magical players come back after a break, that's just the way it is. I will add this though, just because someone is there from opening to closing does not necessarily mean they are wired on powder. Some people get stronger with time. In the end, even the artifical stuf won't give you legs after age takes it's toll. Life and tenure are eventually going to be the ruler...sid

genGOTCHA
02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Why ??? LOL I just play them anyways, just not for money because they usually dont have any or are a drug dealer or something. I have seen them after their multiple trips in the bathroom and out, and when they play it's almost like an impossible level to keep up with them sometimes. You know when their coming down because their pool skills dwindle fast , their focus, and their quik to be mad about their mistakes. It's that first 15mins or so when their drugs are really taking effect that scares me most. They can sometimes play a flawless game consistently. See them the next day and notice their not on anything, and their lucky to shoot 3 balls in a row.

genGOTCHA
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Not to degrade PHs mind you, but "enhancements" during bathroom breaks and parking lot trips are a reality for some players. You have to remember that to some peeps, pool is their income. Play this game for money enough and you will see magical players come back after a break, that's just the way it is. I will add this though, just because someone is there from opening to closing does not necessarily mean they are wired on powder. Some people get stronger with time. In the end, even the artifical stuf won't give you legs after age takes it's toll. Life and tenure are eventually going to be the ruler...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well I never thought of it that way lol. True true! For me some good ole coffee, a "MONSTER ENERGRY DRINK" and a full nights sleep usually means my potential today make take your pocket book away.

av84fun
02-09-2008, 05:24 PM
genGOTCHA, you don't have many posts here and at first, I thought you were kidding. (-:

I suppose that drug use...especially various pain killers and mood altering drugs, are not all that common in league and casual play but in the gambling driven "roadie" world, it is rampant....more the rule than the exception.

Part of the reason is due to the general culture in America. Go into any high school and you would find more drugs than in the local Walgreen.

In the gambling culture, "ahead sets" are popular which is just a "hustle move" (like winnder breaks)where stamina is often the deciding factor and 24-48 hour marathons happen with some frequency.

In such physically exhausting marathons, pills can and often do make the difference and after a while, addiction becomes inevitable.

We all know tghe names of some world class players whose careers came to sad and early concusions due to drug use...and booze for that matter.

Going all the way back to the very early days, many who saw Ralf Greenleaf play said he was the best pool player of all time but drank himself into oblivion and the grave.

It is one of the many sad aspects of the sport.

Regards,
Jim

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
"and a full nights sleep usually means my potential today make take your pocket book"

Give me just the good night's sleep and I will do good. Seriously!!!sid