PDA

View Full Version : In the 'Kitchen' rule

JWAmpK
02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
When I started playing long, long ago the 'in kitchen' rule was "the spot touching where it sat". Meaning if it 'sat' just outside of head string, but part of ball was hanging back over head string, it was considered 'out of kitchen'. With new rules and younger people playing, and I cannot find any where a ruling of this kind.
Please help me settle this once and for all.
JWC

Fenwick
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Page 17.
http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook/tabid/372/Default.aspx

JWAmpK
02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I know where the 'kitchen' is. My question was: 'if part of and not counting where the ball was sitting is out of the kitchen, but some of the ball is overhanging into the kitchen, is the ball considered 'in kitchen'?

pooltchr
02-16-2008, 08:23 AM
The point where the ball actually touches the playing surface is used to determine if the ball is in the kitchen our outside.
Steve

Fenwick
02-16-2008, 10:13 AM
If you followed the BCA link is shows, "The point where the ball actually touches the playing surface is used to determine if the ball is in the kitchen or outside." but shows it in a visual type form. I was under the false impression if any part of the ball touched the line vertically it was in the kitchen and not playable. pooltchr did a better job of explaining then the diagram or my link.

Bob_Jewett
02-18-2008, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JWAmpK:</font><hr> When I started playing long, long ago the 'in kitchen' rule was "the spot touching where it sat". Meaning if it 'sat' just outside of head string, but part of ball was hanging back over head string, it was considered 'out of kitchen'. With new rules and younger people playing, and I cannot find any where a ruling of this kind.
Please help me settle this once and for all.
JWC <hr /></blockquote>
The center of the ball determines its location. If the center of the ball is above the headstring, it is in the kitchen. If the center of the ball is on or below the headstring, it is out of the kitchen. An object ball that is exactly on the headstring is playable when cue ball is in hand.

The rules are available on-line at http://www.wpa-pool.com but the particular rule you want to look at is sort of hidden in section 8 where "behind the headstring" is defined.