PDA

View Full Version : Personal Best

av84fun
02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
P&B Magazine created sort of a variation of Ghost Ball they call "99 Ball"

It's essentially Ghost Ball except you play for a total balls pocketed count in 9 racks. You get 2 bonus points for making a ball on the break so the total possible score per rack is 11. The game is played in 9 innings so the total possible score for the "match" is 99...thus the name of the game.

I don't recall the exact "rating scale" but roughly, mid 40s would be a C...55-60 or so is B...70-75 is A and above that you get into low, medium and high ranked pro status. (maybe someone can post the exact rankings).

A couple of months ago, I had an all-day lesson with Scott Lee and have worked HARD on adopting the core advice he gave me.

Before Scott....and that does NOT stand for "BS" (-:
I was shooting in the high 60s to low 70s.

A few weeks ago I started to really FEEL my new stroke come to the surface and become seemingly automatic instead of "forced practice."

So, tonight, I decided I'd shoot a match of 99 Ball and here is what happened (9 ft. Ohlausen)

Made a ball on the break 9 out of 9 racks.

Ran out 6 racks

Drained the 9 from the snap on the last rack (from the 1 ball position...the front ball goes up 1 number for each rack) for a total of seven 11 point racks.

Scored a FREAKING EIGHTY SIX which is well into the pro category in the ranking system!!!!!!!!!!! (-:

Trust me, I know I am no pro and nothing resembling one...but TONIGHT I played JAM UP!

THANKS Scott Lee...and Allison Fisher, Gerda Hofstatter and Bobby Pickle for beating most of what I know into my thick, 63 year old skull!

DAMN that was fun!!

(-:

Jim

canadan
02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
very good for you...I've been playn good too, won 19 of my last 20 league games, my one lost was a scratch on the 8 during a break and run out...must be something in the air...

av84fun
02-16-2008, 02:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> very good for you...I've been playn good too, won 19 of my last 20 league games, my one lost was a scratch on the 8 during a break and run out...must be something in the air... <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks!

(-:

Artemus
02-16-2008, 08:31 AM
See, I told you 9-ball was EASY. Of the 3 racks that you DIDN'T run, just think if you snapped the 9 in on the break or got an early 1/9 or 2/9 combo you could have run all NINE (9) racks!! Let's see you run 100 in straight. That's some super shooting though.

Man, you're an old geezer! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll also take the 5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

av84fun
02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> See, I told you 9-ball was EASY. Of the 3 racks that you DIDN'T run, just think if you snapped the 9 in on the break or got an early 1/9 or 2/9 combo you could have run all NINE (9) racks!! Let's see you run 100 in straight. That's some super shooting though.

Man, you're an old geezer! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll also take the 5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If 9 Ball was EASY, then you certainly would take the 7 ball from, say, Allison Fisher for 10 bags...right? I can arrange that! (-:

As far as running 100 in straight, gimme BIH once every 9 shots and I'll run 100 every day.

As for being an old geezer...I'll dance on your grave sonny boy!!

(-:

Artemus
02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> See, I told you 9-ball was EASY. Of the 3 racks that you DIDN'T run, just think if you snapped the 9 in on the break or got an early 1/9 or 2/9 combo you could have run all NINE (9) racks!! Let's see you run 100 in straight. That's some super shooting though.

Man, you're an old geezer! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll also take the 5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If 9 Ball was EASY, then you certainly would take the 7 ball from, say, Allison Fisher for 10 bags...right? I can arrange that! (-:

<font color="red"> Nope! Only YOU! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

As far as running 100 in straight, gimme BIH once every 9 shots and I'll run 100 every day.

<font color="red"> I think I would strongly consider that bet. When and where do you want to meet? </font color>

As for being an old geezer...I'll dance on your grave sonny boy!!(-:

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> LMAO. The only graves you can dance on are Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart. (ooops, they can't find her.) Hey, dance anyway!:p </font color>

av84fun
02-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Artemus..."As far as running 100 in straight, gimme BIH once every 9 shots and I'll run 100 every day.

I think I would strongly consider that bet. When and where do you want to meet?

Now, before I rob you...crank up your logic machine and think this over.

1. If I said "bet" don't you think I would KNOW...by TRIAL...that I could do it?

2. Re-read what I stated.

A. I would only have to do it ONCE in a 24 hour period and would have an unlimited number of tries.

B. Do you see the word "consecutive" or the phrase "in a row" anywhere in my statement? Strictly interpreted, I could run 100 balls in 50 innings...and I THINK, if I practiced up, I could do that! (-:

C. I said BIH once every 9 shots. I did NOT say BIH ON THE NINTH SHOT. So, a wiley old codger like me just might take BIH to set up THE BREAK SHOT...ON EVERY RACK...(since there are 14 shots, I get two BIHs anywhere I want.

Still wanna bet...JUNIOR?????????????

LOL

Artemus
02-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Don't worry, "pops". I'll bet. Anybody that does bet knows the REAL woofing and gamesmanship takes place eyeball to eyeball, not on forums where chest puffing and grandstanding are only to pull in readers and get hits. This is all for entertainment value.

When I (we) get done the rules won't even come close to what you're proposing. LMAO

Bambu
02-17-2008, 08:46 AM
So, now 9-ball is "easy." That was really funny, thanks for the laugh.

Artemus
02-17-2008, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> So, now 9-ball is "easy." That was really funny, thanks for the laugh. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank YOU for laughing. I love making people laugh.

I guess ANY game is "HARD" for a banger, even throwing out 3 balls on the table and trying to get position to knock them all in.

The reference to 9-ball being "easy" was in comparison to a few other games for the pros that would be better choices to determine a World Champion that also didn't bring in as much "luck" factor. Surely, you'd have to agree with that. (10-Ball and 14.1 as examples)

Btw Bambu, what were YOUR scores in the Allen Hopkins Q-Skill Challenge? (will it provide a laugh?)

av84fun
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> Don't worry, "pops". I'll bet. Anybody that does bet knows the REAL woofing and gamesmanship takes place eyeball to eyeball, not on forums where chest puffing and grandstanding are only to pull in readers and get hits. This is all for entertainment value.

When I (we) get done the rules won't even come close to what you're proposing. LMAO <hr /></blockquote>

"When I (we) get done the rules won't even come close to what you're proposing. LMAO"

But you said you would serious consider the bet AS PROPOSED. So, now you are saying that you would seriously consider a bet, the terms and conditions of which have yet to be negotiated? OK, fine. Then I will seriously consider the bet that Tiger Woods never proposed to me.

Admit it my man...you popped off without thinking the issue through.

ROFLMAO

But the SPIRIT of the proposition is that I get an entire day to run 100 consecutive balls and get BIH twice during each rack....all other rules of 14.1 (World Standard Rules) apply.

I will meet you in any pool room in the continental United States that has 9 ft. Gold Crown or Diamond tables with 4.5 inch corner pockets for ten bags. Bet?

(-:
Jim

av84fun
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> So, now 9-ball is "easy." That was really funny, thanks for the laugh. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank YOU for laughing. I love making people laugh.

I guess ANY game is "HARD" for a banger, even throwing out 3 balls on the table and trying to get position to knock them all in.

The reference to 9-ball being "easy" was in comparison to a few other games for the pros that would be better choices to determine a World Champion that also didn't bring in as much "luck" factor. Surely, you'd have to agree with that. (10-Ball and 14.1 as examples)

Btw Bambu, what were YOUR scores in the Allen Hopkins Q-Skill Challenge? (will it provide a laugh?) <hr /></blockquote>

Now you are changing your premise from "too easy" to "easier than it should be" which I tend to agree with but only in the context of rule CHANGES from days gone by that could and SHOULD be reversed.

But, with respect, I think you are confusing the issues of "luck" and "ease of play" which are two entirely different concepts.

If you are playing chess against World Champion Vladimir Kramnik and he gets a severe case of the flu and has to forfeit, you got VERY LUCKY but that does not make chess an "easy" game by any stretch of the imagination.

Regarding 9 Ball, remember that any luck that makes the game "easier" for one player makes it harder for the other.

There is nothing EASY about running 9 randomly spread balls in rotation. There is nothing EASY about 3 rail kicks...or long jump shots or executing lock up safeties in most cases.

But I agree that raw luck should be reduced as much as possible in ANY game.

Regarding 9 Ball, the 9 on the snap should be spotted...which was the way the game used to be played.

All shots should be called...ball and pocket...no slop which is the way 8 Ball is played in many cases and which was the way the 9 Ball used to be played.

Then, OF COURSE, the utterly idiotic, age old hustle move called winner breaks should be eliminated. Getting a good shot on the lowest ball after the break AND having no clusters or clusters that can readily be broken out during the run is LARGELY a function of random chance or "luck" and the winner breaks format allows a player to amass a prohibitive lead by coming up lucky on a lengthy series of breaks while the opponent is denied the opportunity to even compete.

Finally, any number of "anti-automatic" wing ball on the break changes can and should be made...including breaking from the box, banning soft breaks and/or moving the rack up or back from the traditional break spot.

Those are EASY fixes and would reduce the "luck factor" in 9 Ball to a considerable degree and, in most cases, merely restore the game to its former self.

Regards,
Jim

Artemus
02-17-2008, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr>
"When I (we) get done the rules won't even come close to what you're proposing. LMAO"

But you said you would serious consider the bet AS PROPOSED. So, now you are saying that you would seriously consider a bet, the terms and conditions of which have yet to be negotiated? OK, fine. Then I will seriously consider the bet that Tiger Woods never proposed to me.

<hr /></blockquote>

When I post back and forth between you and myself, it's ALWAYS done in the SPIRIT of fun. I really don't care what I say or what you say, who pops off, or take it to heart. I don't view you as an adversary like you do with one or two others who may not necessarily be on this forum.

If it ever does become serious between the two of us, you'll know about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

av84fun
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

When I post back and forth between you and myself, it's ALWAYS done in the SPIRIT of fun. I really don't care what I say or what you say, who pops off, or take it to heart. I don't view you as an adversary like you do with one or two others who may not necessarily be on this forum.

If it ever does become serious between the two of us, you'll know about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I also don't think you are an adversary and take all such exchanges in a light-hearted spirit...until certain wacos on certain other forums start getting their shorts in a bunch and get snippy and hateful, as all too many people do when they are pointed out to be wrong...however politely.

[ QUOTE ]
If it ever does become serious between the two of us, you'll know about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

I am SURE I will know it...and just as SURE that I would win any debate in which you and I might engage!!!

(-:

Jim

PS: And be sure to let me know when you have saved up ten bags for the wager as proposed! But kind and caring person that I am, I would want to know that losing it would not cause any serious financial strain on you.

(-:

Artemus
02-17-2008, 04:06 PM
ROTFLMAO. Keep thinking that you can win a debate, bets, and everything else. Whatever floats your boat and makes you sleep well and be happy. It does seem like you might be trying to set up an adversarial situation though, am I reading it correctly?

av84fun
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> ROTFLMAO. Keep thinking that you can win a debate, bets, and everything else. Whatever floats your boat and makes you sleep well and be happy. <hr /></blockquote>

Few things make me happier than the truth!!!!
(-:

Artemus
02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> ROTFLMAO. Keep thinking that you can win a debate, bets, and everything else. Whatever floats your boat and makes you sleep well and be happy. <hr /></blockquote>

(-: <hr /></blockquote>

Well, since truth comes from within and we have our own version, I'm a VERY happy man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif (I think it's time to play the tape of Jack Nicholson on the stand when he goes into his tirade about "truth" for you.)

av84fun
02-17-2008, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> ROTFLMAO. Keep thinking that you can win a debate, bets, and everything else. Whatever floats your boat and makes you sleep well and be happy. <hr /></blockquote>

(-: <hr /></blockquote>

Well, since truth comes from within and we have our own version, I'm a VERY happy man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif (I think it's time to play the tape of Jack Nicholson on the stand when he goes into his tirade about "truth" for you.) <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent movie!!

(-:

Bambu
02-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I didnt see any comparisons to anything, just the statement that 9 ball was easy. But to say 9 ball is easy, even compared to straight pool, still makes me laugh. And to think my q skill scores should have any bearing on my opinion, also makes me chuckle. I could totally suck, and still know full well, that 9 ball is a game which requires plenty of skill.
I dont need to post my scores to have a legitimate opinion. Posting my high score alone wouldnt be fair anyway, and thats all I remember. I only played qskill a few times.
I can respect a straight pool game, but 9 ball is just a different type of game. Straight pool is about pinpoint cueball control, finesse. But straight typically involves short distance shooting, and features alot of follow, stop shots, and soft taps.
9-ball is more of a power game, involving longer distance shots. And more often than not, 9 ball requires alot more draw and english than straight.
Both are games of skill, but no game of skill is easy, certainly not 9 ball. 9ball does have a bigger element of luck than straight, but that in no way makes it "easy."
As for 10 ball, sure its a bit harder than 9-ball. More dry breaks and the extra ball, but so what? Nothing wrong with that, but 10 ball doesnt make 9 ball easy either. I dont mind seeing the pros play either game, as long as its not "put me to sleep" straight pool, or 1 pocket.

Artemus
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> I didnt see any comparisons to anything, just the statement that 9 ball was easy. But to say 9 ball is easy, even compared to straight pool, still makes me laugh. <hr /></blockquote>

No, there were no comparisons unless you had been following previous threads and kept up with the dialog. It wasn't just me, Bob Jewett also felt the same way.

If you THINK 9-ball is even in the same class with straight pool as far as difficulty, then keep laughing. It's the laugh of a person who doesn't know the true difficulty of both games, mentally, physically, stamina wise, and overall knowledge.

Play 7-ball or 6-ball instead, that might be just as difficult and more to your skill level and liking. How many balls does it take to become too easy?

Bambu
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
If you or anyone else thinks 9ball is so easy, it should be safe to assume you are a title holder of some kind? Whats the last major event you won, or even played in for that matter? And if you are a title holder, even that doesnt make the game of 9-ball easy. You also havent said why, just that its "easy." But, you are entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, thats all it is.

SKennedy
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>
Play 7-ball or 6-ball instead, that might be just as difficult and more to your skill level and liking. How many balls does it take to become too easy?
<hr /></blockquote>

I hate to tell this on myself, but to answer that question let me just say that I have missed shots that were ball-in-hand.....and I may have even missed the 8-ball once with BIH in a game of 8-ball! Granted this is a rarity, but it has happened.....and I'm sure to others as well.
Is 9-ball easier than straight pool or one pocket....yes. But is it "easy?" To master the game I'd say absolutely not. Can I run balls? Yes.....but I don't run racks on a consistent basis...9-ball, 8-ball, or otherwise. I'm not a good enough player to take any of it for granted. Wonder why so many of us miss the easy straight in shots, even when postion is not an issue? Maybe because it is too easy and we take it for granted....like having BIH? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SKennedy
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
By the way Artemus I know your question was not directed at me, but I just wanted to answer it for myself anyway....

Artemus
02-18-2008, 05:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> By the way Artemus I know your question was not directed at me, but I just wanted to answer it for myself anyway.... <hr /></blockquote>

Your answers are always welcome, you provide some good thinking to your posts. Feel free to jump in any time.
Don't feel alone, EVERBODY has missed shots with BIH. I know I certainly have.

Artemus
02-18-2008, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> If you or anyone else thinks 9ball is so easy, it should be safe to assume you are a title holder of some kind? Whats the last major event you won, or even played in for that matter? And if you are a title holder, even that doesnt make the game of 9-ball easy. You also havent said why, just that its "easy." But, you are entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, thats all it is. <hr /></blockquote>

I spent 2 consecutive years of my misspent youth (early/mid 20's) doing nothing but gambling for a living and played good enough to earn more than most professional working stiffs in regular jobs at the time.

What have YOU done with YOUR life in pool? You can't even post your scores to the Q-Skills challenge.

Bambu
02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
That resume sounds about as impressive as some fudged q-skill numbers. Something tells me you aint the next kid delicious. Hustling a few suckers doesnt mean [censored]. (Lord knows, I have had my share.) And, I'm not scared of your big prize money, or your massive q-skill scores. Unlike you, I am not here to brag about my skills, only to talk about pool. The most I will say is I grew up 2 blocks from one of the biggest pool rooms in nyc, and having practically lived there for the bulk of my life....I spit on your 2 big years. You want a money game, drop me a line next time youre in the city.

Artemus
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> Having grown up 2 blocks from one of the biggest pool rooms in nyc, and having practically lived there for the bulk of my life....I spit on your 2 big years. And, I'm not scared of your big prize money, or your massive q-skill scores. Unlike you, I am not here to brag about my skills, only to talk about pool. You want a money game, drop me a line next time youre in the city. <hr /></blockquote>

It sounds like you're bragging to me. I know a lot of players like you that have gotten to be "great" players through osmosis. Keep living there and hanging out and you'll become better and better. Thanks for the invite.

Bambu
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
For losing my cool, I apologize to the board.

bsmutz
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Don't feel bad, Fast Larry, er, um, I mean Artemus, has made the best of us lose our cool.

wolfdancer
02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I was past President of the FL fan club...Smallville chapter.
I found some humor in his posts, but it seems I am a minority of one, re that.
I do appreciate his ideas about pool, and if he ever writes a book....I'll buy it.

DSAPOLIS
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>

It sounds like you're bragging to me. I know a lot of players like you that have gotten to be "great" players through osmosis. Keep living there and hanging out and you'll become better and better. Thanks for the invite. <hr /></blockquote>

Artemus

These "skill tests" will vary from table to table, day to day. It's just the nature of pool. My scores on a loose Gabriel will be much higher than the scores I will set on a tight Diamond table. The score will also vary in accordance to cloth speed, and whether or not I am in top form that day (or not).

I don't think that 9 ball is "easy". I think all games have specific challenges. I am not saying that 9 ball is as technical as 14.1 or one pocket - it isn't - but all games have their distinct challenges, inclusing all forms of rotation, including 9 ball.

The main problem I see with this "99" is that its not very realistic when measuring your complete game. A large part of 9 ball is the safety game - and how you perform and react during a good safety battle. It's the same with all games, but the rules will confine you to certain strategies that are unique to each game.

To gage your game with some measured accuracy, get out there and play against the best - or against players on the level you wish to compete. Measure your skills in relations to the goals that you wish to achive. If you fail, find out why. If you succeed, set higher goals for yourself and continue to grow as a player. That's just the way I see it.

Bambu
02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
I have been to the Fast Larry school of fruitcakeism myself, so I really have no excuse. I shoulda known better, but thanks bsmutz.

av84fun
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>

The main problem I see with this "99" is that its not very realistic when measuring your complete game. A large part of 9 ball is the safety game - and how you perform and react during a good safety battle. It's the same with all games, but the rules will confine you to certain strategies that are unique to each game. [/quote}

I agree completely. That is why I "invented" a game I call Ghost Plus. It is played like the standard ghost ball but once per rack, you have the option to play a safety.

If you get a hook, then you get BIH again. Of course, that is not perfect...because in real life your opponent can hook you back or at least leave you tough...but it's better than no safety option at all.

Playing that way not only gives you some safety practice but at least as importantly, teaches you to LOOK for offensive safety opportunities in lieu of trying fairly low percentage shots when you could have played for a lock up.

And you can toughen the rules by requiring a hook that forces a jump or at least a 2 rail kick.

Regards,
Jim

wolfdancer
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
David, enjoyed your book that I recently bought from you, and the friend I gave the second copy to, also thinks it's great.
Did you fully recover from the 10k balls made in 2 days yet?

Bambu
03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P&amp;B Magazine created sort of a variation of Ghost Ball they call "99 Ball"

It's essentially Ghost Ball except you play for a total balls pocketed count in 9 racks. You get 2 bonus points for making a ball on the break so the total possible score per rack is 11. The game is played in 9 innings so the total possible score for the "match" is 99...thus the name of the game.

I don't recall the exact "rating scale" but roughly, mid 40s would be a C...55-60 or so is B...70-75 is A and above that you get into low, medium and high ranked pro status. (maybe someone can post the exact rankings).

A couple of months ago, I had an all-day lesson with Scott Lee and have worked HARD on adopting the core advice he gave me.

Before Scott....and that does NOT stand for "BS" (-:
I was shooting in the high 60s to low 70s.

A few weeks ago I started to really FEEL my new stroke come to the surface and become seemingly automatic instead of "forced practice."

So, tonight, I decided I'd shoot a match of 99 Ball and here is what happened (9 ft. Ohlausen)

Made a ball on the break 9 out of 9 racks.

Ran out 6 racks

Drained the 9 from the snap on the last rack (from the 1 ball position...the front ball goes up 1 number for each rack) for a total of seven 11 point racks.

Scored a FREAKING EIGHTY SIX which is well into the pro category in the ranking system!!!!!!!!!!! (-:

Trust me, I know I am no pro and nothing resembling one...but TONIGHT I played JAM UP!

THANKS Scott Lee...and Allison Fisher, Gerda Hofstatter and Bobby Pickle for beating most of what I know into my thick, 63 year old skull!

DAMN that was fun!!

(-:

Jim
</div></div>

Hey Jim, quick question about the rules of 99 ball. If the 9 ends up hanging in a pocket after the break, or blocking a pocket path....can you shoot the combo? Or do you have to spot the 9 if you sink it?

av84fun
03-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Bambu...Sorry I missed your question. If the 9 goes down on a legal shot...including the break...the rack is won and 9 balls are counted plus the extra 2 if you made one on the break...so the point score would be either 9 or 11 any time the 9 Ball is pocketed legally.

Regards,
Jim

Bambu
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu...Sorry I missed your question. If the 9 goes down on a legal shot...including the break...the rack is won and 9 balls are counted plus the extra 2 if you made one on the break...so the point score would be either 9 or 11 any time the 9 Ball is pocketed legally.

Regards,
Jim</div></div>

You didnt miss it, I just posted that. Finally got a chance to try the game. I liked it, but wasnt sure how to score a combo, or a 9 on the break. I thought the 9 ball was worth 2 points, but its the ball on the break. No penalty on the scratch off the break? Ok, thanks Jim! Any other rules, or do you have a link to them?

av84fun
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu...Sorry I missed your question. If the 9 goes down on a legal shot...including the break...the rack is won and 9 balls are counted plus the extra 2 if you made one on the break...so the point score would be either 9 or 11 any time the 9 Ball is pocketed legally.

Regards,
Jim</div></div>

You didnt miss it, I just posted that. Finally got a chance to try the game. I liked it, but wasnt sure how to score a combo, or a 9 on the break. I thought the 9 ball was worth 2 points, but its the ball on the break. No penalty on the scratch off the break? Ok, thanks Jim! Any other rules, or do you have a link to them? </div></div>

It's essentially like Ghost Ball. BIH after the break and no penalty for scratching on the break. Here is a link to the rules.

http://poolmag.com/Uploads/Play%2099.pdf?size=183782

Bambu
03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Great Jim, thanks. But where did you get the part where it says a 75 is "A" level? Theres a link at the botom of the page, but its dead.

av84fun
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Great Jim, thanks. But where did you get the part where it says a 75 is "A" level? Theres a link at the botom of the page, but its dead. </div></div>

It was originally published in the magazine and there was a user forum that had links to it but I don't see the user forum there anymore.

My rankings were from memory. But I have been meaning to e-mail Shari Stauch and ask her for the rankings. I will publish them here when I get a response.

Regards,
Jim

9BallSidePocket
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Just a beginner here, but I too am looking forward to seeing those rating charts.

We played a 4 player version of 99 last night with a scoring range of 51 to 29. Great fun, and I set a personal best of 36...Look out Vegas!

Bambu
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Great, thanks so much jim.