PDA

View Full Version : pool cue!

elgallo55
02-17-2008, 02:22 PM
just a little survey kind of...which pool cue do u guys think is better McDermott or Vinking cue? why

av84fun
02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote elgallo55:</font><hr> just a little survey kind of...which pool cue do u guys think is better McDermott or Vinking cue? why <hr /></blockquote>

WAY too broad a question. McDermott for example, sells cues from about $250-3,500.00.

And their cues offer 3 different shaft options and 9 different joint options!

However, the McDermott shafts are low deflection "composite" designs and the Vikings are traditional hard rock maple.

I am an advocate of L/D shafts and for that reason, I would prefer McDermott. If you don't care about L/D then dollar for dollar, the cues are about the same IMHO.

Regards,
Jim

hondo
02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote elgallo55:</font><hr> just a little survey kind of...which pool cue do u guys think is better McDermott or Vinking cue? why <hr /></blockquote>

The 3 best production cues I've shot with:
1. a Joss I paid $275 for. retail-$360
2. a McDermott Sierra I paid around $375 for retail- $500

3. a Joss I paid about $485 for. retail $650
The McDermott's a nice one pocket stick.
The Joss's are better for 8 &amp; 9 ball.

SKennedy
02-17-2008, 10:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> The McDermott's a nice one pocket stick.
The Joss's are better for 8 &amp; 9 ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Why? What makes one better for 1 game over another game?
Just curious....and I've never played one-pocket but understand a little about how it is played and difficulty (which is why I don't play it).

MrLucky
02-17-2008, 10:33 PM
McDermott all day!

hondo
02-20-2008, 07:57 AM
I've found that I like a less stiff hitting cue for one pocket than I do for 8 or 9 ball.
I tried to find out on the other forum if others were like me but I got little response to that query so maybe it's just me?????

catscradle
02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I like McDermott, but that doesn't mean a lot, just my personal taste.

Heretic
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
I have owned McDermotts for years, but I think that has ended with the new composite shafts. I did buy an HD30 model just because the colors were similar to what is on one of my bikes, and it was a cheap stick I could strap to the bike and carry with me

BigRigTom
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I play with a Viking VX10 and am very happy with it.
My wife has a McDermott and I guess that would be my second choice.
I used to play with a Meucci Sneaky Pete with the red dot shaft but I could never get used to that whippy feel, the black bullseye shafts are not near as twangy but I still prefer the firm feel of the 13mm tip on my VX10 with the LePro Med Hard tip.

I know it is a personal preference thing so everyone has to play with what he likes. At least that is my take on the whole deal. If you like it and it feels right to you, that is all that really matters. After all you are the one who has to make the shot and get position. When the chips are down that other guys opinion on which stick is best will not mean didly! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif He also won't volunteer to pay off the bet for you so what do you care which stick he prefers? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Heretic
02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I like the feel of my old meuccis, but I have a very soft hit.....I shot with a stiff 13mm shaft today, and remembered that I like the narrower ones

1Time
02-21-2008, 02:31 AM
The one that is better is the one preferred. Therefore, it makes no difference how many or who prefers one or the other. What matters is what you prefer. McDermott and Viking are very well established and make good cues. I've owned a cue from each and found I prefer cues other than those I've tried from McDermott and Viking.

If you're trying to choose a manufacturer from which to purchase a cue, I suggest the following.

Go shoot a few shots with cues from each manufacturer to see if you can determine your preferences.

Consider the warranty each manufacturer provides, how and how long it covers for warping, its provisions and exclusions, and in particular under what circumstances the warranty is voided if you have the tip replaced.

By the way, elgallo55, I'm the one who first answered this question for you on Yahoo.

cue_z
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my McDermott. Lifetime guarantee on everything. What more can I say....