PDA

View Full Version : New user, buying a new table.

ew1075
02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi, I am going to be moving to an apartment this summer, and one of my main priorities is to have a living room big enough for a pool table.

I have a couple of questions. There is a good apartment in my price range with a living room that is 21' x 16'. Plenty of room for a 9' table. The only problem is all of these apartment units with this size living room are upstairs units. Should I be concerned about keeping a 9' pool table on the top floor of an apartment? I already asked the property manager and she was clueless. All she could say was "I don't know". I asked the local Olhausen dealer and they said it shouldn't be a problem. They have never heard of a pool table falling through a floor, in fact they said it would be more likely for a refrigerator to fall through than a 1000 pound pool table. Anybody have any opinions on this?

I'm looking at a 9' Olhausen Monarch brand new for $3500. That price includes Simonis cloth and Super Aramith balls. It also includes a $150 delivery and set up fee. I had all the other accessories taken out of the price because I already have a rack and cues. This table is similar to the Olhausen table shown on ESPN. Is this a decent deal? Is it a quality table?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much for the help.

Dennis

DeadCrab
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Unless the apartment is a converted attic, falling through the floor should not be a problem. You may want to rest the feet on oak boards or tiles to keep from damaging the underlying flooring. Whoever is setting up the table may balk at carrying it up stairs for $150.

ew1075
02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
These apartments are unique. The top floor apartments don't actually use the stairs. You have to go down the steps to get to the bottom floor apartments.

Thanks for the response. That's the general consensus I'm getting regarding the upper floor apartment/pool table issue.

Bambu
02-17-2008, 05:26 PM
If it was me, I'd rather have a reconditioned, brunswick gold crown 3 or 4. It should cost around the same, maybe less.

JoeW
02-17-2008, 05:27 PM
I had a 9’ Brunswick in an old farm house and had to brace the floor from the basement to keep the table level and the floor from sagging. I guess it would depend on how the structure was built and the length of the joist spans. If I were doing what you are suggesting I would place 3’ X 3’ pieces of Ύ” plywood under each leg to be sure the weight was spread out over the floor joists.

I doubt the floor structure would collapse but the sub flooring might give way depending on how the structure was built and where you locate the table relative to the floor joists.

If you can get to the sub-floor, under the carpet you might be able to see where the floor joists are located by the nail patterns and place the legs on the joists.

Another way to find the joists is to determine which way the joists run and then measure some multiple of 16” on center to the location of the legs. The only important thing would be to get close to the joists, say within a few inches.

OTOH, if the apartment was made with cast floors (as some are) then you should not have any problem.

A 9’ table weighs about 1,000 lbs and this is about 250 pounds per leg of dead weight. That isn’t too heavy relative to some furniture and even less relative to some people.

My guess is that you would be OK with a best effort to locate joists and let it go. Personally, I tend to over kill all of the DIY projects I get involved in.

av84fun
02-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I own a top of the line Olhausen and like it a lot. However, if I had it to do over again (and may next year)I would buy a Diamond Pro (may buy one after next year's Derby City Classic) or a Gold Crown IV.

The reason is the cushions. The Olhausens are fine and you will bet many years of good service from them but Diamond and the Gold Crowns (I THINK) use the K-55 cushion profile whereas the Olhausens use their version of the K-56 profile.

The 55s are a larger cushion (in total mass)and have a larger downward "bevel" on the nose. Most of the top players I talk to (which is quite a few) and especially the banks players significantly prefer the Diamonds or Gold Crowns.

I don't know where you live but here is a link to a dealer that has some GCs for sale.

Regards,
Jim
http://www.qbilliard.com/index.html

ew1075
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
*UPDATE*

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. As it turns out, I'm not going to be able to put the pool table in the apartment. I could not get the manager's approval. I do have 1 more option, and I would like to get some opinions on this one as well.

I will be moving into an apartment with a much smaller living room, 17' x 13'8" (This one is on bottom floor). That's only enough room for a 7' table. I have seen videos of a guy who has a 9' Diamond table in a room that is too small. He uses jump cues for shots off the rail. Would I be better off sacrificing and getting a 7' table, or bumping up to an 8' and using a jump cue for rail shots? These are my only options, it's either this or no pool table for me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

And I might also add that the only competition I would likely be participating in is played on 7' Diamonds at my local pool room. Practicing under the same conditions might not be a bad idea anyway.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, all input is appreciated.

Bambu
02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ew1075</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*UPDATE*

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. As it turns out, I'm not going to be able to put the pool table in the apartment. I could not get the manager's approval. I do have 1 more option, and I would like to get some opinions on this one as well.

I will be moving into an apartment with a much smaller living room, 17' x 13'8" (This one is on bottom floor). That's only enough room for a 7' table. I have seen videos of a guy who has a 9' Diamond table in a room that is too small. He uses jump cues for shots off the rail. Would I be better off sacrificing and getting a 7' table, or bumping up to an 8' and using a jump cue for rail shots? These are my only options, it's either this or no pool table for me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

And I might also add that the only competition I would likely be participating in is played on 7' Diamonds at my local pool room. Practicing under the same conditions might not be a bad idea anyway.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, all input is appreciated. </div></div>

Looks like an 8 footer would squeeze in perfectly, but this info may help you decide.

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/helpful_information/room_size_requirements.html

JoeW
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Get a 7 foot table and enjoy it rather than be frustrated by it. That is what I would do. The room itself is important. People need a place to sit, stand around and BS. In our house there are often 6 to 10 people in the room when a game / match is on. Drinks, smoking, food, etc. We habe a big ceiling fan, air purifier and windows open as needed.

The game should be fun for everyone and rail birds contribute to the game in may ways.

We also have a dart board and the room is furnished to make it enjoyable. When you consider these things it is important to have a nice place to go. We use our room nearly evey day (it has the bar too) and it is very much a part of our living space. For round robin tournaments I use a laptop computer with a chess shot clock (on the bar) and one player is the time keep referee when we have 4 - 7 person handicapped tournaments.

I think you should take these things into consideration. Many of my friends have tables at home but not many players over as their rooms are too small or not hospitable for a small crowd.

In our situation most players bring their wives along and the women play cards, go boweling with Wei and the double doors to the pool room are right off the kitchen where the card games (and food) are located. The sytem works well as we have from 8 - 20 people over every other weekend and they keep coming back.

I have stero speakers in the room and that contributes to the atmosphere. However, I wish I had left room for a TV set as many of the guys like to watch one or another ball game while a match is on. If I had it to do again I would have a place to mount a TV, that would allow for Pool lessons and a camera to record strokes etc. These additional tools would make the place that much more enjoyable.

Give some thought to what other devices you want in the room and I think you will see that a 7 foot table will make a better room in your situation.

When it is all said and done, I spend much more time at home in my own room (less in pool rooms) and save the money others pay at pool halls. In addition, I don't have to drive home when the night is over.

Build it and they will come and you will have a ball -- we do.