PDA

View Full Version : Lessons

mbippus
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I have been looking for someone to get a quality lesson from. I took a lesson from a gentleman whose flyer I saw at a proshop. I didn't learn one thing. There are no BCA instructors in my city, Colorado SPrings, CO. I know a lot of great players in my area, but I would like to learn from someone who is a proven teacher. The main thing I am trying to do is improve consitancy in my stroke. Easier said than done huh? Does anyone know someone here in the Springs area, or a website that might help out? If not I'll have to got to Denver, which isn't the end of the world I guess. Thanks.

dr_dave
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mbippus:</font><hr> I have been looking for someone to get a quality lesson from. I took a lesson from a gentleman whose flyer I saw at a proshop. I didn't learn one thing. There are no BCA instructors in my city, Colorado SPrings, CO. I know a lot of great players in my area, but I would like to learn from someone who is a proven teacher. The main thing I am trying to do is improve consitancy in my stroke. Easier said than done huh? Does anyone know someone here in the Springs area, or a website that might help out? If not I'll have to got to Denver, which isn't the end of the world I guess. Thanks.<hr /></blockquote>I recommend you look up Tom Ross in Denver. He teaches at the SkyLark on Broadway, and he knows other instructors in the area. Tom has worked with several female pros that live in the Denver area.

Regards,
Dave

pooltchr
02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Get up with Scott Lee www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)
He travels the country giving personal lessons, and he is one of the absolute best instructors in the country. If you want a consistant, repeatable stroke, you can't go wrong with Scott. In fact, if you aren't happy with his lessons, you don't pay. How much better can it get?
Steve

catscradle
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Get up with Scott Lee www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)
He travels the country giving personal lessons, and he is one of the absolute best instructors in the country. If you want a consistant, repeatable stroke, you can't go wrong with Scott. In fact, if you aren't happy with his lessons, you don't pay. How much better can it get?
Steve <hr /></blockquote>
Amen to that brother. I can begin to express how much he and Randy G. have helped my game. Maybe it is just me, but I think it is more than that.

mantis
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I just took a lesson with Scott Lee. My review of the lesson canbe found here http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=275523&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1. I think you will find that his whole focus is solid fundamentals for a consistent repeatable stroke. Read the review and you will see why I would recommend him!

av84fun
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Ditto what everyone else has said about Scott Lee. But fair warning with ANY lesson. Your mechanics...of various descriptions...will be changed and it will take TIME and HARD WORK to incorporate the advice given you.

And you may will go BACKWARD for a while as you transition from your flaws to the correct way to set up and shoot.

You may not agree with 100% of what you are instructed to do but if you are not prepared, in advance, to accept 95% of it then you might as well save your money.

That is so because the correct set up and execution of a pool stroke requires a CHAIN of fundamentals that are linked together so if you pick and choose very much you just won't optimize the end result.

But if you are really serious about improving your game, you are making a GREAT decision to seek out a nationally respected instructor and Scott Lee is certainly one of them.

And dr_dave is a college professer in colorado and a noted author of pool facts and instruction so if he says Ross is good then Ross is good.

Good luck,
Jim

Heretic
02-21-2008, 02:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> Ditto what everyone else has said about Scott Lee. But fair warning with ANY lesson. Your mechanics...of various descriptions...will be changed and it will take TIME and HARD WORK to incorporate the advice given you.

And you may will go BACKWARD for a while as you transition from your flaws to the correct way to set up and shoot.

Good luck,
Jim <hr /></blockquote>

This is one of the main reasons I have not taken lessons myself. I am one of the stronger players on my league team, and I would like to stay that way, at least until the end of the season.....we are in first place, and after losing to the same team two years in a row, I want that trophy!

pooltchr
02-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Timing of lessons is important. You don't want to do it a month before you have a big tournament. But when will the timing be right. You are talking about the end of the session coming up, but then a new session will start and you will feel the same way. If you really want to improve, somewhere along the line, you have to accept that it's going to disrupt your routine for a while. Short term slump in exchange for long term benefits. Only you know when you are ready.
Steve

mbippus
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the input. I talked to Scott yesterday. He is coming this way in May, so I'll let you all know how it went.

mantis
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Good choice. I do not think you will be sorry. Enjoy!