PDA

View Full Version : chalk chalk chalk

badbanker8
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm an average player and some of the guys I shoot with say that the "light blue" chalk is the best. The same chalk that's in your average bar. I use silver cup, what's the deal? who's is better? What about color?

mantis
02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
The color thing is bogus. Not really sure where that idea started. People like to say that Masters blue is the best, but all of their colors play the same.

I have used silver cup, and think it plays fine. Not sure if I can really tell a difference. Their was some research sited here a while back doen with a robotic arm that showed that Masters would allow you to cue further out on the ball without a miscue than silver cup would allow. I personally use the Masters spruce or green colored chalk.

Heretic
02-21-2008, 12:22 AM
I use masters blue because the bar that sponsors my league team gets it by the case. I get supplies for them, do all the tips,paperwork, and have the shirts done, so they don't mind if I make sure the team has chalk, and they open the tables up for us to practice on....

catscradle
02-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I find most chalks play fine and the color is moot. The only one I've found I liked better than another was the chalk the IPT used, I've still about 8 cubes left. It seems to stay on the tip better. I'd like to know who made that for them if anybody knows.

mbippus
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
It seems to me that masters is a little softer than silver cup. So it seems you can get more of it on the tip. That said more of it ends up on the table. The main problem I have with any chalk is not using it before everyshot. I think any chalk will work fine if you use it consistantly.

mantis
02-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I believe the IPT chalk was made by the tweeten fibre company, the same company that makes masters. The owner of the local pool hall told me that, and his hall is an IPT qualifier location.

catscradle
02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I believe the IPT chalk was made by the tweeten fibre company, the same company that makes masters. The owner of the local pool hall told me that, and his hall is an IPT qualifier location. <hr /></blockquote>

That would make sense, Tweeten and Deano are both Chicago based.
Another mysterious chalk made by Tweeten which "appears" different from other chalks made by Tweeten. It has got to be all in my head then.

Jager85
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
In my experience Masters is the best. The color does not matter other than the look on the cue, ie personal preference. The only other chalks I have used are silver cup and an unknown brand in a bar I was at one time. With SC and the other brand I tend to miscue more often when using extreme english.

Curtis

caedos
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Bang for the buck, Masters is by far the best (IMO). Unless I'm splurging on Blue Diamond by Longoni, I only use Masters. Color only matters when your choosing what color you want stained on your hand, cue, and clothes at the end of the night /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Carl

AnitoKid
02-24-2008, 04:36 AM
I use Brunswick (blue) and Master (blue). I used to chalk with SilverCup (tan). I particularly like the blue ones.

mantis
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I just ran out of my Masters chalk and had to play with some "Pioneer" brand chalk that someone gave me while I wait for my new Masters to come in the mail. There was a noticeable difference in my ability to play maximum spin without miscue. Of course Pioneer is one of the worst brands, but at least it confirms to me that there is some difference between chalk brands!