PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace an Irish linen wrap?

1Time
02-21-2008, 02:21 AM
I want to remove the Irish linen wrap on my cue and replace it with a polyurethane finish. The reason for this is I don't like Irish linen wraps (but I like my cue) and I prefer the grip to have a poly finish (like Meucci cues). Also, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind the grip being slightly smaller in diameter.

I'm thinking I could cut the wrap off. Sand and paint the wood that's underneath where the wrap was, and then paint a couple coats of clear polyurethane.

Is this about as simple as it seems? Or, for some reason would I be better off having a pro do this for me? Thanks

BLACKHEART
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
The wrap area UNDER the linen is a smaller diameter, so that the linen lays at the same hight as the rest of the Q. If you cut the linen off, you will have an ugly, noticable step at the beginning & end of the wrap area...JER

1Time
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
So is there a better way to get a poly coat over the grip, or would I just be stuck with an ugly cue? Thanks

bsmutz
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
You might be able to slowly build up a thick coat of polyurethane with a high volume/low pressure airbrush, sanding in between layers with a very fine grit. I know it's very hard to get polyurethane to lay flat with a regular brush on that kind of surface. For that reason, even with the spray on method I would think you'd have to use many thin coats. I'd experiment on something I didn't care as much about first (unless you don't have any objections to ugly).

catscradle
02-21-2008, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> The wrap area UNDER the linen is a smaller diameter, so that the linen lays at the same hight as the rest of the Q. If you cut the linen off, you will have an ugly, noticable step at the beginning &amp; end of the wrap area...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Assuming he sanded the handle area smooth, painted it as he said he wanted to, and then applied coat after coat with sandings in between taking down the poly around the "step" a little less the the rest of the handle each time... do you think he could wind up with what he wanted without it looking to bad?

SpiderMan
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I want to remove the Irish linen wrap on my cue and replace it with a polyurethane finish. The reason for this is I don't like Irish linen wraps (but I like my cue) and I prefer the grip to have a poly finish (like Meucci cues). Also, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind the grip being slightly smaller in diameter.

I'm thinking I could cut the wrap off. Sand and paint the wood that's underneath where the wrap was, and then paint a couple coats of clear polyurethane.

Is this about as simple as it seems? Or, for some reason would I be better off having a pro do this for me? Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Don't remove the wrap - have the finish applied over it. That's how Meucci gets the result that you like so much.

If your wrap is substantially worn, you could replace it with brand-new linen of an appearance you favor, and then have it refinished.

PM me if you'd like to have this done, I can send you to a cuemaker who does exceptional refinish work for a very fair price. He rebuilt and refinished my cue after a recent motorcycle accident. The cue was dragged down the road in a case strapped across my seat, grinding off the bumper, butt cap, and the joint end of the shaft. Looks better than new after refinishing, and it was returned to me in about a month.

SpiderMan

Bob_Jewett
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I want to remove the Irish linen wrap on my cue and replace it with a polyurethane finish. .. <hr /></blockquote>
An alternative is to put a rubber wrap on your cue. Pretty much every top carom player uses one of these. If you can't find a source, you can get a reasonable temporary substitute in: "latex surgical drainage tubing, 7/8-inch diameter, 18-inch length." Medical supply stores have it. You may have to assure the clerk that you don't intend to use it as a tourniquet for intravenous drug use.

catscradle
02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I want to remove the Irish linen wrap on my cue and replace it with a polyurethane finish. .. <hr /></blockquote>
An alternative is to put a rubber wrap on your cue. Pretty much every top carom player uses one of these. If you can't find a source, you can get a reasonable temporary substitute in: "latex surgical drainage tubing, 7/8-inch diameter, 18-inch length." Medical supply stores have it. You may have to assure the clerk that you don't intend to use it as a tourniquet for intravenous drug use. <hr /></blockquote>

Both Muellers and Seyberts sells the rubber wraps.

1Time
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> You might be able to slowly build up a thick coat of polyurethane with a high volume/low pressure airbrush, sanding in between layers with a very fine grit. I know it's very hard to get polyurethane to lay flat with a regular brush on that kind of surface. <hr /></blockquote>
I thought I would just brush over the painted wood. Airbrush / spraying is beyond me.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Don't remove the wrap - have the finish applied over it. <hr /></blockquote> OK, sounds good to me. PM sent.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>An alternative is to put a rubber wrap on your cue. <hr /></blockquote> Not for me, but thanks for the info.