PDA

View Full Version : Is a 62" cue a rarity or does it take away value?

runout1961
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I know in today's world you can have a cue made exactly to your liking. I came across a cue for sale today from a very reputable cuemaker. The cue is perfect except for it is 62" which is unusual. My question is would this feature take away from the cue's value in the future or would it stay the same or continue to grow in value because of the cuemaker?

Thanks, John

Deeman3
02-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Depends but all in all, it probably makes it more valuable as longer cues are always in demand.

runout1961
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
That's what I'm thinking. But then again I don't see how it would depreciate just because it is 4 or so inches longer than usual.

Thanks, John

Heretic
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
remember value is just a number....all that matters is what you can get someone to pay for something. I an 6' 4" so I like longer sticks, but I find that few other players do. It is my experience that longer sticks hold collector value ONLY if they are just a showpiece or if you are selling them to a tall player

JohnnyP
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
John:

I'm 6'1". Short clip of me practicing with my 62" Viking:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6912406045383460884

My old cue is about 57". "Woody" at Triangle Billiards in Orange watched me hit a few shots with it, and said I needed a longer cue, so we special ordered the 62" Viking. I asked for 19oz, but it came in at 21.4oz, including the 1oz weight bolt, which I quickly removed.

In that clip, the cue doesn't appear overly long, does it?

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/Pool/John'sCues/

av84fun
02-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Future resale value varies all over the map...even in the case of "reputable" cue makers.

If he is one whose cues are known to have "collector value" then the rarity of that length might add to its value.

Other than that, the laws of supply and demand will prevail and there is a very small contingent of players who would want such a long cue.

On the other hand, there are probably not all that many quality cues of that length so the supply side of the equation is pretty low too.

You might want to post the maker's name which would give the knowledgable collectors (which does not include me) more to go on in advising you.

Regards,
jim

Heretic
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr>

Other than that, the laws of supply and demand will prevail and there is a very small contingent of players who would want such a long cue.

On the other hand, there are probably not all that many quality cues of that length so the supply side of the equation is pretty low too.

You might want to post the maker's name which would give the knowledgable collectors (which does not include me) more to go on in advising you.

Regards,
jim <hr /></blockquote>

It seems that more and more cue makers have realized that 57-59 inch cues are not the magic length that is right for all players. There are more and more of these longer sticks appearing.

I have been very slow to accept the longer cues, even though technically I should be the first to want one. I have tried to use many different sticks, and keep in practice enough to grab any stick with a decent tip, and play a solid game (sometimes hard with a bar cue)Maybe it is just paranoia but I have always had this fear that something would happen to my sticks, or I might forget my case before a tournament, so I would be stuck shooting with a borrowed cue

Ace
02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I had ordered a stick from Meucci last summer. A combination of a Gambler III's butt end and a Power Piston IV's forearm and wrap. The butt was to be one inch longer and my red dot shafts were to be two inches longer with twelve mm tips (total 61 inches). The stick came in January and I love the length. I have been playing alot of snooker lately and the extra length does come in very handy and the weight is not off balance.

Heretic
02-22-2008, 01:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ace:</font><hr> I had ordered a stick from Meucci last summer. A combination of a Gambler III's butt end and a Power Piston IV's forearm and wrap. The butt was to be one inch longer and my red dot shafts were to be two inches longer with twelve mm tips (total 61 inches). The stick came in January and I love the length. I have been playing alot of snooker lately and the extra length does come in very handy and the weight is not off balance. <hr /></blockquote>

I have a special built cameo that is longer.....I would rather use it than my Szamboti

Deeman3
02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ace:</font><hr> I had ordered a stick from Meucci last summer. A combination of a Gambler III's butt end and a Power Piston IV's forearm and wrap. The butt was to be one inch longer and my red dot shafts were to be two inches longer with twelve mm tips (total 61 inches). The stick came in January and I love the length. I have been playing alot of snooker lately and the extra length does come in very handy and the weight is not off balance. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Walter,

Is that the one you were waiting on while we were at Derby City? If so, I'm glad it worked out, with the history of the purchase and all.

The shirt I did for Efren went for a lot more than expected in the auction and, in fact, brought more than either of the signed Alabama and Auburn footballs. We were able to provide more than 40 beds and mattress sets!

My love to Mora and Shawn. </font color>

catscradle
02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I think it is like a swimming pool with a house. For the right people it increase the value. For most everybody else, it eliminates it from consideration for a purchase.

Deeman3
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> I think it is like a swimming pool with a house. For the right people it increase the value. For most everybody else, it eliminates it from consideration for a purchase. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> But, if you include a cheap saw in the deal, everyone is happy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>