PDA

View Full Version : We have upgraded

ccboard_admin_back
02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
We have upgraded to the latest version of UBB Threads.

All of the users, messages and PMs were moved over to this installation.

Please let us know if you experience any strangeness.

Admin

MikeM
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm only seeing my SENT PMs. Am I missing something or did the received PMs not make the move?

Mike

Gunn_Slinger
02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Is there a way to change my font size, font and the background colour? They are not what I would enjoy on a daily basis.
thanks
mrs.g

av84fun
02-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree.

New2Pool
02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunn_Slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to change my font size, font and the background colour? They are not what I would enjoy on a daily basis.
thanks
mrs.g </div></div>

Short answer, not to a large degree that I have figured out. Long answer and a work around:

From the FAQ's"
How do I edit my display preferences?
Yes, you'll be missing a trick if you fail to take advantage of the versatility offered. There are many aspects of how the Forums are displayed that may be customized. On the Forum Navigation island, click "Edit Preferences".

You can choose the stylesheet in which you wish to view the forums, how many posts are displayed on each page, whether or not you want to view users' pictures alongside their posts, and much more. Once saved, these become your default settings. You may edit these preferences again at anytime.

There are currently two style sheets. This one and a very dark one. You can try the dark on and see if it works for you or not. I don't much care for it but it might be just what you want. Unfortunately, the font size will not change. Two work arounds, neither particularly great, 1.) change your screen resolution so the font appears bigger. or 2.) zoom in with your browser when you need to do so. (short cut is to hold down the "Ctrl" key while turning your mouse wheel; alternative short cut if you don't have a scroll wheel on your mouse is to hold down the "Ctrl" key and then press the "+" key to zoom in, the "-" key to zoom out. On my computer I have to release and repress the "Ctrl" key each time I press the "+" or "-" key or I get the character.

Hope this helps, I will keep playing and see if I figure out any other ways.

nAz
02-23-2008, 05:52 PM
about time, only been what 4 years now?

nAz
02-23-2008, 05:58 PM
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>BTW Admin did we loose the "who's online" feature?</span>

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I have two questions.

1. How do we select to see all posts from all topics, instead of being forced to select a particular one. i.e. NPR or PoolRelated?

2. How do we now select full thread view option?

sid

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2008, 06:36 PM
We shoulda gone back to the version of the first one we had for the early years, if this is the one we live with now. To me, this format looks like plain-jane discussion boards, or boards in general from the web at the early launch of the internet before CCB even existed. Sorry but this seems more like a move to AZ format than any improvement. JMHO...sid

nAz
02-23-2008, 07:35 PM
ya Sid the original one was good... you know the same people who run AZB run this one too.

ccboard_admin_back
02-23-2008, 08:02 PM
There are some additional features that we are still working on configuring.

I believe this feature is part of that.

Admin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>BTW Admin did we loose the "who's online" feature?</span></div></div>

eg8r
02-23-2008, 09:38 PM
That must be why we had to switch to these crappy looking boards. What are the chances these boards will not be down as often as AZ?

eg8r

eg8r
02-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Quick suggestion...Remove your duplicate links in the cookie trail at the top. Forums and Cue Chalk Board (the first one) both go to the same forum list.

eg8r

1Time
02-24-2008, 02:29 AM
The only thing that makes this board now look so 3rd world is the color scheme. All they need to do is change the colors.

AnitoKid
02-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Congratulations on the upgrade!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccboard_admin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have upgraded to the latest version of UBB Threads.

All of the users, messages and PMs were moved over to this installation.

Please let us know if you experience any strangeness.

Admin</div></div>

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I was not aware of that naz, I'll miss even the last format after this change, and I didn't like that one much, but I got used to it. What choice is there, AZ? Damned if we do, damned if we don't...sid

wolfdancer
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Ed,it may take some getting used to, and while I prefer the old board....this one has a bonus feature...an ignore button....hallajuh !!!!
I'm "making a list and checking it twice", gonna decide who's naughty, who's nice....
I'm sure that I'll become an "invisible man" myself, for some (many?)

1Time
02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm sure that I'll become an "invisible man" myself, for some (many?) </div></div>

Check.

Fran Crimi
02-25-2008, 05:42 AM
<span style="color: #3333FF"> It appears I'm only allowed one post with the present set of cookies. When I attempt the second post I get the following message:</span>

UBB Error
The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again.

<span style="color: #3333FF"> Then I have to 'expire' all the cookies, then sign on again and post my one post. I checked my internet security program and it's allowing the BD website so I don't know what the problem is. Anyone else have this problem?

Fran</span>

New2Pool
02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
It looks like several people have made more than one post to the thread. This is my second one and I did not have to clear cookies or anything.

BigRigTom
02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I have had no problem either.
I like the new forum and I will adapt to the differences.
Great job guys!

Fran Crimi
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm still trying different things to see what works. I never know when a post is going to be accepted or rejected.

Fran

Fran Crimi
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Looks like I may have found the solution. I am networking two computers so I deleted the old BD cookies from the second computer. If this post goes through, it worked.

I'm posting all this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Fran

ccboard_admin_back
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Fran, I made a change to the board configuration and sent you a PM this morning asking if that resolved the issue. Should I assume that it did?

Admin

eg8r
02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Is there any way you can make a change to the board to make new posts easily visible? When I look down the list the only identifier that I can tell is the date.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
02-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't see a PM from you. It probably didn't get through. I just checked and I see that now my PM's exceeded the new limit so I just cleared out a bunch of them. Yes, I'm posting with no problem now, so whatever you did, it worked. Thanks!

Is it just happening to me or does everyone now see the new posts (portal page) first thing when they enter the forum? I'd rather see the forum page when I enter the forum rather than the latest posts. Do we have the ability to change that or is that a program issue?

Fran

Bob_Jewett
02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...
Is it just happening to me or does everyone now see the new posts (portal page) first thing when they enter the forum? I'd rather see the forum page when I enter the forum rather than the latest posts. Do we have the ability to change that or is that a program issue?... </div></div>
Under preferences, set "Default Starting View" to "My Watch Lists", I think. At least that works for my limited set of watch lists (1).

ccboard_admin_back
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
We are tweaking this a little as we go.

Just killed the main portal page and users should go directly to the forum list when they log on.

Admin

nAz
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Admin, any chance of making CCB and all of billiardsdigest.com for that matter WAP/WAP2/Imode friendly?
I like to read BD on my helio (PDA) portable device as I'm sure others do to, but it's pretty tough to navigate under it's current format.

thanks nAz

ccboard_admin_back
02-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I will check and see if there is a suitable template for that. I would think there should be.

Admin

eg8r
02-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey naz, who wastes their time with a helio? My iphone has no problem. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~loves full internet feature on iphone

eg8r
02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Is there a way that I can update the configuration of my views to make new posts to a thread EASILY visible without having to look through the dates on the right hand side? Or is there something you can do on your end to make this happen?

When we look at the forum list you easily show what threads have new posts by showing the count of new posts in red. Can't the headings of the news posts turn red or bold or something to make them stand out?

eg8r

Fran Crimi
02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Ed, do you have the 'Yesterday' and 'Today' preference turned on? It makes life easier when scanning the dates to see which is most recent.

Also, it appears that the yellow folder icons are supposed to represent unread, and the white ones represent posts that you've opened, but I've yet to see any real consistency with that.

Fran

eg8r
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Not sure about the Yesterday and Today preference so I will go check it out. The yellow folders seem to be OK as a quick visual for a thread that has updated posts but nothing to easy about seeing the actual new posts.

Thanks,

eg8r &lt;~~~trying hard to be positive about this new board /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about the Yesterday and Today preference so I will go check it out. The yellow folders seem to be OK as a quick visual for a thread that has updated posts but nothing to easy about seeing the actual new posts.

Thanks,

eg8r &lt;~~~trying hard to be positive about this new board /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
On my screen, the new posts have the word "New" in a little black box in the upper left corner, just above the name of the poster.

eg8r
02-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I see that box, but it only shows up if you are looking at a specific post. If you arrow down past the Quick Reply window and see the list of posts (in threaded view) they do not say new.

eg8r

1Time
02-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the search function does not appear to be working.

BTW, as much as I dislike the new pale puke default color scheme of this board, I do like the "dark" mode which optionally may be selected: My Stuff &gt; My Preferences &gt; Your preferred stylesheet &gt; ubbthreads-dark.

ccboard_admin_back
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
We are aware of the search engine issue and are working on resolving it as quickly as possible.

Admin

eg8r
02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Any idea on the issue with making new posts easily seen when in threaded mode?

eg8r

Billy_Bob
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
How about getting rid of the stuff on the right side of the screen like shout box, etc. and making more room for the "Subject / Poster" column?

It would be easier to read the subjects of people's posts if this column was wider like it was with the old forum.

I suppose the shout box and other stuff on the right could be moved to the bottom or below the stuff on the left...

1Time
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy_Bob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about getting rid of the stuff on the right side of the screen like shout box, etc. and making more room for the "Subject / Poster" column?

It would be easier to read the subjects of people's posts if this column was wider like it was with the old forum.

I suppose the shout box and other stuff on the right could be moved to the bottom or below the stuff on the left... </div></div>

I agree. This would be a very nice improvement. One column of extra stuff is enough. The two side columns currently crowd the main center column too much.

BigRigTom
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Can you tell us what exactly the "Whpo's online box" represents?
When I log in I am not shown there then after a while I am there then after a while I am no longer there again.

I can't see any pattern and if the info is not correct what good is it?
If it is correct what is the pattern?

Bambu
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I have been having strange problems ever since the upgrade. In clicking around the site, it almost feels like I have a virus, in the sense that links within the site, lock up intermittently. When that happens(about half the time)I have to close out the page, and open internet explorer again, to try the link another time. Sometimes the links are simply unclickable, other times they work fine. The lock ups are a third effect, its really weird.

Fran Crimi
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Admin: When those folder icons turn to white after the post has been read, they all seem to go back to yellow again when I exit and reenter the site. They're supposed to stay white to permanently reflect the posts that were read unless we expire the BD cookies. But I haven't been doing any of that, nor have I been signing off.

Any ideas on why that's happening? Is it on my end or the program?

Fran

eg8r
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
This is exactly what I am referring to when I ask if there is an easy way to see what has changed. If the folders would stay white then the new posts would be easy to see.

eg8r

dr_dave
02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Fran,

I have personally reported these and other issues to the administrator. He is working on them, but he is swamped.

I hope these and issues get resolved sooner rather than later. The "new" forum is not making too good of a first impression.

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Admin: When those folder icons turn to white after the post has been read, they all seem to go back to yellow again when I exit and reenter the site. They're supposed to stay white to permanently reflect the posts that were read unless we expire the BD cookies. But I haven't been doing any of that, nor have I been signing off.

Any ideas on why that's happening? Is it on my end or the program?

Fran </div></div>