PDA

View Full Version : First Cue

8ballshooter
02-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to pool. My family got a used valley bar table a few months back. Since then, I've been playing everyday and getting much better. It's about time for me to get my own decent cue to play with. I've been playing with an 18 0z. house cue and my dad's mcdermott with a warped shaft. I am in highschool and don't have a job yet so my funds are limited. I've been looking around and I like how scorpion is looking as far as low budget brands go. I keep saying to myself that if Johnny Archer plays with them they have to be halfway decent. Has anyone played with them? If so, I would really appreciate some feedback.

Fenwick
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Any cue that is straight will be fine for now. Talk to your dad and see if he might like to get a new shaft for his McDermott. Tell him you posted here and then the two of you can read and learn things here together. He might be surprised to know how much you enjoy the game.

cue_z
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi, Just wanted to let you know that McDermotts are guaranteed for life. I know this because I personally own one. You could get it fixed for Zip. Just go to the McDermott site to get the info you need. Hope I saved you money on this problem!!!!!

1Time
02-25-2008, 02:05 AM
If buying a new cue, expect to spend at least $50 to $100 to include a good tip. But there's really no need to buy new. A good used cue should run you $25 to $50 (including a change for a good tip). Be sure to check any cue for a warp by rolling the shaft and butt separately and together. Whatever you get I suggest having a Talisman medium tip put on it. And, since you have been using an 18 ounce cue and will be playing on a bar table, I suggest getting an 18 ounce cue or at least getting a cue that's weight can be changed. Another feature I suggest is a 10" to 12" pro taper. You may also want to pay attention to the type of joint. Also, be sure to get the type of wrap you like or a cue without a wrap if that's what you prefer. If you're wanting any other suggestions for buying new or used, just ask.

BigRigTom
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
My son has a really nice Scorpion but he could never get used to the feel of the shaft. He plays with a Dufferin Sneaky Pete because it is hard rock maple and looks like a bar cue.

I think he also did not like his buddies ribbing him about have the fancy cue.....

I know several players in the APA that play with Scorpions and they all swear by them. It is simply a matter of what you like and if you like the cue that is ALL that matters. Don't spend a lot of money on a cue because someone else likes it. You will be the one that has to play with it so your opinion is the only one that counts.

If you like your Dad's McDermott you should definitely go to their web site and look into getting the shaft replaced. McDermott is a very good cue regardless of the model he has it is worth fixing.

kobyp
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
My first cue was a RAGE RG-50 cheapo that I got for christmas. When we went back to college from the holidays I spent ever minute playing pool and beating all the guys that were bragging about having mcdermotts and stuff. (That was 2003)

I still have it, and have no plans on selling it. I bought an OB1 shaft for it this past November and have started playing with it again.