PDA

View Full Version : Cue Tip Replacement: Newby Questions

9BallSidePocket
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
My brother-in-law moved in with a pool table, and I've been having a great time learning the game-- 9 ball and 14:1 mostly-- and have made some pretty good improvement thanks to Dr. Dave's book and hours spent in the basement.

I've also worn the tip off his McDermott cue, and would like to learn how to replace it myself. The ferrule is 11 m.m. and he insists on a soft tip. Problem is, no one seems to sell soft leather in that narrow diameter, so...

1) Is it feasible to turn a larger diameter tip, say 14 m.m., down to 11 m.m. with a Porper Cue Tip Shaver?

2) Is there any disadvantage to using Crazy Glue, which sets up in minutes, over the special cue tip glue? I intend to use a cue tip clamp either way.

3) What is the softest tip available, assuming I can turn it down with the shaver?

4) Do most of you guys do this repair yourself, or do you have a pool shop take care of it?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm happy to have found these boards!!!

1Time
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Most have their cue's tip replaced by a pro. The soft tip you want is called Elk Master. It should cost about $10 to have this done including the cost of the tip.

1hit1der
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Most guys probably use a pro. If they do it themselves, most probably want to have a lathe or a modified drill to spin the shaft.

Having said that, it's not impossible to do it yourself. Trimming the tip down can be done (I think it's usually done, even by the pros). I've tried it on some cheaper cues. I haven't had any problems using Zap-a-gap to glue the tips either.

av84fun
02-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Tip cost + pro installation is CHEAP and the pros are hungry! (-:

Time vs. cost creates a poor DIY equation...especially since you'll probably screw up several tips before you get it right.

And hey...it's YOUR basement! You should tell HIM what tips to use. (-:

Or better yet, get yourself a CueTec cue for a couple of hundred bucks with whatever tip you want on it!

(-:

Heretic
02-28-2008, 03:30 AM
a McDermott cue is a bad cue to learn on. The ferrules are both screwed and glued in place. They are difficult to change of you mess one up.

If you want to try, start with something like an old house stick

9BallSidePocket
02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Sounds like I need to find a pro...

If you are familiar with the southeast Wisconsin pool scene, please take a look at this thread-- Southeast Wisconsin Pool Resources (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=270670#Post270670)--and steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!