PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Rack position

kevinkin
02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
My table is almost 3 years old now and I am wondering if I should start changing the wear on the cloth by placing the rack at the other end of the table. Its not a high end table ... 2000 bucks new.

Kevin

av84fun
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I assume you mean to save wear under the spot. If so, you really shouldn't have to swap ends. Just change your spot frequently...whenever the dent starts to be too significant. If the dent is already pronounced, you can put a TINY drop of Elmer's white glue and scrape it flush to the surface of the cloth. You're going to put a spot on top of it anyway so it won't hurt anything.

If you are referring to wear under where you break from, I put a small scrap of paper under the CB when I break (or practice jump shots). For jumps, it for sure avoids a burn mark and for breaks it seems to meaningfully slow down the wear. Combining that with breaking from both sides avoids any major wear before I have the cloth replaced anyway..about every 2 years for me on 860 cloth and maybe an hour a day practice.

Regards,
Jim

Bambu
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey Jim, do you think using a piece of paper is better than using a piece of the cloth itself? I usually save the old cloth, and use a small, 6x6 piece to break from. But I dunno, is paper any better?

ceebee
02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I have used the cloth & I have shot a break shot, lots of times

Changing the rack end does extend the wear, the question is >>> will the cue ball kill anything on this end?

Bambu
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
The cloth will last longer that way, but the new end you break from will end up pitting the same way it did the traditional way, from the break spot. Rolling the whole rack to the other side of the table, then having to walk around every time to set the balls, would suck anyway.
I was thinking about cutting out a triangle shaped piece of cloth as well, for the rack area. That should help preserve the cloth too. You could lay a narrow track down for the whole break path as well, but I suppose that would get to be a pain after awhile.

Sid_Vicious
02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevinkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My table is almost 3 years old now and I am wondering if I should start changing the wear on the cloth by placing the rack at the other end of the table. Its not a high end table ... 2000 bucks new.

Kevin</div></div>

Why not switch the break end? Most of the wear does occur on the on the rack end since the balls congregate by inertia, so it makes perfect sense to swap out the end for breaking if you are concerned. If not, then fugget about it and let nature take it's course, and replace the cloth in time. Using "cloth condoms" for breaks in ANY way, by using pads or other material is IMO anal...sid