PDA

View Full Version : what happened to this format?????

BLACKHEART
02-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Why did you fix something that wasn't broken? This sucks...JER

eg8r
02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I have to say, I absolutely agree 100%. People who are stating it is about time for this mess really confuse me. What exactly was wrong with the old board?

eg8r

Rich R.
02-29-2008, 09:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly was wrong with the old board?</div></div>
Absolutely nothing was wrong with the old board. It was basic and simple to use. More is not necessarily better.

I can't stand when someone decides to fix something that isn't broken.

Qtec
02-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I must admit it was a bit of a shock but I like it. I think its a step in the right direction.

Look at it as a work in progress! After the teething problems are sorted out and with posters input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I'm sure it will develop and improve over time.

I know its tough on you older guys who are set in their ways /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif and find any change disturbing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif but hang in there. Give it time.

Everything changes. Nothing ever stays the same.

Qtec.......... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

BigRigTom
03-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow!
It is amazing how quick people are to express their displeasure with some changes.

I will try to remember this as I upgrade my own forum and believe me I intend to think long and hard before making any major changes.

I can see both sides of this issue. People like what they like and that is just the way it is.

I also see the improvements here in this new format and I see how confusing it is ...I happen to be one of those older guys...I just don't mind change all that much as long as there is improvement being made.

I thing the improvements are being made so I hope everyone hangs in and trys to be patient with the construction and I hope the Admin heeds all the suggestions as well.

Mean while I will just keep trying to improve my pool game and my own forum without ruffeling too many feathers of all the other birds in the flock....

By the way...WHERE are all my little smiley faces. I liked the one with the sun glasses and the smiles too.

1Time
03-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I admit I was utterly disgusted with the look and function of the new board. I soon thought I may not be posting here much in the future. And sadly that may be the case for others. Who in their right mind chose the default color scheme? It's ugly pale puke colors completely lack contrast. That means there is not enough difference between the light and dark colors, which makes this the most difficult to read board I've ever seen. Plus, having an exta column on each side of the main column is way too much, also making it difficult to read the main column since it makes it too narrow.

But that all changed once I found a 1000% improvement and work around. First, through this boards options I changed the default view to dark mode. That got rid of the crappy default colors so I can now read with ease. Second, I disabled "positioning" and "tables" through my web browser, Opera. Let me know if any Opera users need help doing this. This effectively stacked all 3 columns into 1 big column. So now the main column fills up my entire screen, just like it should be. Pretty cool. Sadly again, most don't know to make these changes and will suffer, and participation in the board likely will suffer as a result.

bignick31985
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM
My main issue, even though my opinion doesnt hold near as much water as you guys, is that after a couple clicks to a few threads the pages wont load anymore.

It just says done, and stays on the current page. No other site does it, I dunno know why.

1Time
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignick31985</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My main issue, even though my opinion doesnt hold near as much water as you guys, is that after a couple clicks to a few threads the pages wont load anymore.

It just says done, and stays on the current page. No other site does it, I dunno know why. </div></div>

Even though you don't have that problem with other boards, it sounds to me like a malfunction on your end and not with this board. I recommend posting for help in the forum at overclockers.com. The solution could be as simple as restarting your browser or computer.

eg8r
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Can you please explain to me the "improvements"? I am a fairly young guy who lives in the IT world. Change is my life and I don't see one single plus for the end user by switching to this board.

The font size sucks and for someone to suggest to us to change the font sizes through the browser is completely ludicrous. Why should I change the font at the browser and screw up all the other pages I go to that look perfectly fine?

eg8r

eg8r
03-01-2008, 03:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second, I disabled "positioning" and "tables" through my web browser, Opera. Let me know if any Opera users need help doing this. This effectively stacked all 3 columns into 1 big column. So now the main column fills up my entire screen, just like it should be. Pretty cool. Sadly again, most don't know to make these changes and will suffer, and participation in the board likely will suffer as a result. </div></div> Changes like these are not usually website specific so if you go to another site that is CSS based you will screw it all up. You should not be forced to these extremes while the admin are calling these "improvements".

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
My computer does the same thing. I have to open a whole new browser and re-log in to get to the NPR section. I thought the old version was very user friendly. I'm not pleased with the new look, but I'll get used to it.

DG

eg8r
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes, I have noticed much longer load times after only a few clicks and many times the links in the cookie trail need to be clicked more than once to work. The other thing that baffles me is the duplicity in the links in the cookie trail. Forums and Cue Chalk Board (the first link) do the exact same thing.

eg8r

eg8r
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Why would you seem to quickly jump to the conclusion that is issue is on the users end? Why send the user to an overclockers board to talk about restarting a browser or computer?

I personally would suggest you let the local admin know the new board was not correctly set up and he should have gone through more extensive testing before pushing out a board to a production server to let the end user find his flaws.

eg8r

1Time
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm having no problems at all with this site and Opera. It's very good (if not the best) and free. I suggest giving it a try. I have been having problems lately with Firefox like pop ups, CPU staying maxed out at 100%, and pages not loading (blank screen that says "done" at the bottom).

1Time
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you please explain to me the "improvements"? </div></div>

With the changes I've made as mentioned earlier, the board now looks and functions better than the older one (which I liked).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The font size sucks and for someone to suggest to us to change the font sizes through the browser is completely ludicrous. </div></div>

I suggested that since someone complained about the font size. It's not ludicrous because it solves the problem. Should there be a problem to begin with? No. The font should be bigger. I simply worked around it and offered that solution for others to enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should I change the font at the browser and screw up all the other pages I go to that look perfectly fine?</div></div>

You should change the font so you can more easily read this site. Changing the font size for this site, a single tab in your browser, should not change the font size of other sites and tabs in your browser, or at least it does not universally change the font when I'm using Opera.

1Time
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My computer does the same thing. I have to open a whole new browser and re-log in to get to the NPR section. I thought the old version was very user friendly. I'm not pleased with the new look, but I'll get used to it.

DG </div></div>

What is the "NPR" section? I thought the old version was very user friendly as well. This new one definitely is not. I was not at all pleased with its look and function until I made the changes I mentioned earlier.

1Time
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I have noticed much longer load times after only a few clicks and many times the links in the cookie trail need to be clicked more than once to work. </div></div>

I'm finding this board is responding very quickly, and pages are loading faster than any other board I frequent, WAY faster than the old version of this board. I assume this is because the site upgraded their server (I have no idea if they did) and the site's traffic is down (just guessing).

1Time
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you seem to quickly jump to the conclusion that is issue is on the users end? </div></div>
Cause I have not been having these problems and so the site appeared to not be responsible.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why send the user to an overclockers board to talk about restarting a browser or computer? </div></div>
This is not what I meant. I meant to seek help there if restarting the browser or computer did not help.

After reading a couple of the more recent posts, I think the problem may be this site is not playing nice with one or more browsers other than Opera. That could be a problem with the browser, the site, or both. I suggest using Opera for this site at least until they get it working right.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would suggest you let the local admin know the new board was not correctly set up and he should have gone through more extensive testing before pushing out a board to a production server to let the end user find his flaws.

eg8r </div></div>
Definitely post in that thread started by the admin. I'm sure they've got their hands full. It's so typical of any I.T. to pull this type of stuff, no heads up, not enough testing, not opening it up first for user input.

eg8r
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the changes I've made as mentioned earlier, the board now looks and functions better than the older one (which I liked). </div></div> How?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggested that since someone complained about the font size. It's not ludicrous because it solves the problem. Should there be a problem to begin with? No. The font should be bigger. I simply worked around it and offered that solution for others to enjoy.
</div></div> It is ludicrous to force a user to change a font setting on their browser to work with one website. How many sites have you built? How often have you told your client that if they don't like the font they can screw with their browser settings to make it "ok"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should change the font so you can more easily read this site. Changing the font size for this site, a single tab in your browser, should not change the font size of other sites and tabs in your browser, or at least it does not universally change the font when I'm using Opera. </div></div> I am glad it is working for you, but I am not interested in bandaid fixes in which I have to modify the settings of my browser to work with one website. It is ludicrous.

eg8r

eg8r
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm finding this board is responding very quickly, and pages are loading faster than any other board I frequent, WAY faster than the old version of this board.</div></div> LOL, maybe it is because of your font changes.

eg8r

1Time
03-01-2008, 10:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How?</div></div>Better color scheme, better contrast, easier to read, and faster page loads.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is ludicrous to force a user to change a font setting on their browser to work with one website. </div></div> I agree, but it's not ludicrous to suggest or use the work around I offered.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many sites have you built? How often have you told your client that if they don't like the font they can screw with their browser settings to make it "ok"? </div></div>Irrelevant. You're arguing with yourself.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am glad it is working for you, but I am not interested in bandaid fixes in which I have to modify the settings of my browser to work with one website.</div></div>Then don't use my suggestion and suffer without it or leave this site until it's fixed.

1Time
03-01-2008, 10:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, maybe it is because of your font changes.</div></div> Or, maybe it's your sense of humor.

Fran Crimi
03-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't know if this will help, DG but you might want to try expiring your cookies and then signing on again. I know they've been working on some formatting changes and you may have to reset the cookies. Just a guess because something similar to your sitation was happening to me. Scroll down to the bottom left and click on "My Cookies". Follow the directions to expire the cookies. You shoud then exit your browser and even reboot your computer. Then go to the site and sign on again.

Fran

eg8r
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
How are my arguments irrelevant. You are telling people these new boards are better yet I have pointed out plenty of reasons to disprove. You also have had to make BS bandaids to get the board the way you like it and you call those enhancements. Hilarious.

eg8r

1Time
03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are my arguments irrelevant. You are telling people these new boards are better yet I have pointed out plenty of reasons to disprove. You also have had to make BS bandaids to get the board the way you like it and you call those enhancements. Hilarious.

eg8r </div></div>

That's simply beyond dense... as if you didn't even read my posts. No one is agreeing or laughing with you. Re-read the thread if that's what it takes for you to understand. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-03-2008, 07:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's simply beyond dense... as if you didn't even read my posts. No one is agreeing or laughing with you. Re-read the thread if that's what it takes for you to understand. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
I agree with eg8r.

It is very rare, and maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I agree with eg8r on almost every point.

I hate the color scheme.
I don't believe I should have to download and us another browser, just for this site. You would think that this site would work with the most widely used browser.
I am continuously getting locked up in this site and I have to exit and come back in. Just to make this post, I had to go in and out of the site twice, and I have already expired the cookies as someone else suggested.
I have also had problems with my PM's. It appears that only my sent PM's converted to the new forum, not any of the received PM's. I know I had some good information in those received PM's and it has now been lost. Also, there is no record of who I was sending the PM's to, so they are useless. I ended up deleting them all.

The admin may be working on these problems, but, as for now, they screwed up the forum, BIG TIME. I just hope we don't lose too many regulars, before they get it fixed.

CarolNYC
03-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Rich,
I havent had any problems (knock on wood)-I also dont fool around with it much-mostly read when I get a chance- but:

"I have also had problems with my PM's. It appears that only my sent PM's converted to the new forum, not any of the received PM's. I know I had some good information in those received PM's and it has now been lost. Also, there is no record of who I was sending the PM's to, so they are useless. I ended up deleting them all."

I like that the received pm's are gone,although,like you, I had alot of nice chats with people or info/memories,Chris,Radge,Stretch,etc.too many to name,but,this way, SOME people use those PRIVATE messages against others-maybe that nonsense will stop!
I deleted everything,too:)
BTW,
I Did over 1000 player badges this weekend for SBE-here we go again!!!
See ya soon!
Carol

hondo
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

I'm finding this board is responding very quickly, and pages are loading faster than any other board I frequent, </div></div>

You're the only one who's finding that to be true.
Watching paint dry is faster.
It does seem to be okay today so far.

eg8r
03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
It is definitely a shame the way this new board was rolled out. If they did any sort of testing before hand it is not evident. Based on the admin replies on this board, the admin is only responding to Naz and Fran so hopefully they will read the other posts and maybe make some annoucement to board about what they are doing to mitigate the issues and slow the blood loss.

Hopefully agreeing with me did not cause you too much pain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

1Time
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with eg8r.

It is very rare, and maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I agree with eg8r on almost every point.</div></div>
And I agreed with eg8r as well. We were not disagreeing with each other. We were simply talking about two seperate things, which he apparently has not been able to grasp.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate the color scheme.</div></div>
So do I.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't believe I should have to download and us another browser, just for this site. You would think that this site would work with the most widely used browser.</div></div>
I agree 100%.

Now, for a different subject. If you want a temporary solution to some of the problems this site is having. I have found it and shared it for all to freely use.

1Time
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm finding this board is responding very quickly, and pages are loading faster than any other board I frequent, </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're the only one who's finding that to be true.
Watching paint dry is faster.
It does seem to be okay today so far. </div></div>

I attribute the lack of problems I'm having with this site to my use of the browser called "Opera". It's quite likely that everyone who has not experienced the fast responsiveness of this board like I have is not using Opera as their web browser. I'm using Opera only for this site. I use Firefox for all other sites, but some day I may change over to using only Opera.

Sid_Vicious
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
"It is very rare, and maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I agree with eg8r on almost every point."

Me too Ed, we're on the same "side of the isle" with this issue. Misery enjoys company...sid

eg8r
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Too bad we all come together on a not so great topic. The worst part of it all is that the admin don't seem to be saying anything to users.

eg8r

Rich R.
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully agreeing with me did not cause you too much pain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</div></div>
After a little CPR and a few jolts from the paddles, I was fine. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

1Time
03-04-2008, 01:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The worst part of it all is that the admin don't seem to be saying anything to users.</div></div>

The admin has been responding in the thread he started, which seems only appropriate.

eg8r
03-04-2008, 07:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The admin has been responding in the thread he started, which seems only appropriate. </div></div> That is appropriate if they were answering everyone's questions, but there has been plenty of issues arise with only 4 responses from the admin on that thread. Of those 4 responses, they only responded to Fran, Naz and I think Bob. They are doing a poor job addressing the user community letting them know if they are doing anything else to fix the board. The folder colors still do not appear to be working correctly for all us non-Opera users (are you aware that 98% of the world does not user that browser).

I can understand that is good enough for you because you seem to find it acceptable to have one separate browser with browser specific settings for one site.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

DG

av84fun
03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
No page loading problems here. I am on DSL not cable...with a WiFi laptap via AOL. Can't get much "worse" than that except dial up.

My main issue is the small size of the text

Rich R.
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No page loading problems here. I am on DSL not cable...with a WiFi laptap via AOL. Can't get much "worse" than that except dial up.

My main issue is the small size of the text </div></div>
I am on DSL also, but I don't seem to be having any problems with the font size. My main problem is that the forum just stops working for me, once in a while, or it doesn't work to begin with. This morning, I seem to be lucky, for now. It is working.

JoeW
03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I could not load threads in IE 7.

I cleared cookies, temporary internet files and history, no need to delete passwords. Logged back in and have no problems now.

In IE 7 click on Tools, Options, General tabs to access these functions and make adjustments.

eg8r
03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cleared cookies, temporary internet files and history, no need to delete passwords. Logged back in and have no problems now.
</div></div> These are great tips and everyone should do these periodically to clear out the accumulated junk from surfing the net. The one thing that would worry me is if you are really storing your passwords when you log in to sites. This is definitely a security no-no. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif For the majority of casual internet users, the big problem is that while your password for this site may not be the same one you use for your bank access, there is a strong possibility that they are variants on each other.

eg8r

BigRigTom
03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't know about how this forum handles passwords but on my forum the password is hashed an not even the admin has access to the passwords....with 128 bit encryption it is pretty safe to use anything you can remember for a password....unless you write it on a postit and stick it to the front of your monitor like I see people do all the time!

JoeW
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Interesting problem. IE 7.0? (with all updates) does not seem to be able to load the pages though it does try for long periods of time. It acts like the net has slowed down to a crawl but cannot load the page. It is trying to download. Firefox (I am using now) has no trouble. Hmmm

Our standard procedure (in my home) is to use one set of passwords for forums and a completely different set for other purposes. It is a small matter to keep a notebook beside the computer.

If you have been hacked before and get junk mail from different places consider using additions to your demographic data. For instance at one place my address is "123a Main St" at the next place my address is "123b Main St." If I get junk mail addressed to "123a" I know the source. A similar procedure can be used with forum names, passwords, etc.

BTW the postal people know there is no "A" or "B" at 123 Main St and all mail is delivered. I think they have caught on to what I am doing. Gotta love living in the country!

I suppose I could be "Joseph A Waldron" on one place and "Joseph B" in another.

DennyS
03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Mine is working fine in Firefox browser. Only thing I cant figure out it says I'm invisible.

bsmutz
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I had to do the same the day before yesterday to get on. I was getting an Invalid Request error whenever I tried to access anything Billiard Digest. Every other site I regularly visit was fine.

eg8r
03-05-2008, 01:20 PM
That is not what I am talking about. When you store the password on your side (your computer) then you are at risk. This has nothing to do with the website.

eg8r

eg8r
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
IE7 still has all kinds of issues with anything developed prior to IE7 released. If there are sites that still have a problem with the browser and were developed after the browser then you probably have the same issue as we are having on this site...An admin that does not adequately understand the importance of extensive testing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

JoeW
03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
IE 7 just logged in and downloaded the page. However, when I tried to post something hung up.

Exited IE 7
Started Firefox and posted this message.

Apparently there is a problem with IE 7 after cookies etc were cleared.

Pogue
03-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I see they still don't have the "hover preview" option that AZ has. It's the single biggest reason I don't really frequent this forum... I want to know that a thread is on topic BEFORE I open it..

Russ

BigRigTom
03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Seems this is the only really active topic on this board since the upgrade.

Where is the admin?
Isn't he reading any of these complaints?
Why doesn't he at least jump in and say something about what if anything he is doing to quite the natives?

I personally don't have any of the issues you guys are talking about but if I was I would not be a happy camper...&...I would not be on here right now.

There has to be something the admin can do.

My only issue is the size and color of the fonts and the poor contrast provide by the color scheme. I KNOW that could be fixed really quick if the admin wants to fix it. Of course those are personal preference points and no one has to agree with me on them so I can live with those if the admin chooses to ignore me.

Has anyone contacted the admin directly?
IF not, WHY NOT?

Either way I am going back to playing pool and hope they do something for you guys so you can go back to pool as well.
Good luck with this stuff.

1Time
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It is very rare, and maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I agree with eg8r on almost every point."

Me too Ed, we're on the same "side of the isle" with this issue. Misery enjoys company...sid
</div></div>

The issue is the forum does not work right, and there are no two sides to this issue. Everyone wants the forum to work right. No one is arguing a different point of view.

And now for a completely different subject... everyone "may" be able to minimize the problems with this forum by using a browser called Opera. This site has worked flawlessly for me since using Opera. Improvements to this site since the last few days (if any) "may" have this site now working better with other browsers (I don't know).

Is there anyone else reading this who still doesn't get it?

eg8r
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the admin?
</div></div> I believe it was 1time that posted they were responding in the thread they opened and that perfectly sensible. Problem was that they were only responding to a select few.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why doesn't he at least jump in and say something about what if anything he is doing to quite the natives?</div></div> This seems to be too much for him to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally don't have any of the issues you guys are talking about but if I was I would not be a happy camper...&...I would not be on here right now.</div></div> What good would that do? If you have a problem with the board working correctly and you leave then who is around to let the admin know it is not working properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only issue is the size and color of the fonts and the poor contrast provide by the color scheme. I KNOW that could be fixed really quick if the admin wants to fix it. Of course those are personal preference points and no one has to agree with me on them so I can live with those if the admin chooses to ignore me.</div></div> I am not sure what the problem is with the color of the font, especially if you are using the default style. There is no greater contrast than black on white.

One thing that has been driving me crazy is the folder colors (yellow and white) not correctly displaying after I return to the site. As far as answering the admin through a PM, I find that limiting for the other users. It is important to put all issues and concerns on the board so those with the same problems can have their voice heard and let the admin know this is not a onesy/twosy issue.

eg8r

Scott Lee
03-09-2008, 08:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see they still don't have the "hover preview" option that AZ has. It's the single biggest reason I don't really frequent this forum... I want to know that a thread is on topic BEFORE I open it..

Russ </div></div>

Russ...I'm with you! I used to frequent here all the time...usually just reading. Now I can't even see a function that allows me to see all the posts open at once. This is far less user friendly, than it used to be (and much less so than AzB).

Scott Lee

dr_dave
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to frequent here all the time...usually just reading. Now I can't even see a function that allows me to see all the posts open at once. This is far less user friendly, than it used to be (and much less so than AzB).</div></div>Scott,

I think you might be asking for the "flat mode" view (instead of the "threaded view"). I actually prefer "threaded view," but you can choose which view you prefer under "My Stuff" - "My Preferences" - "Topic Display Mode." You can also change this when you are in a thread, under "Topic Options."

I hope you get used to the new system and decide to stay. I also hope the administrator can fix all of the problems identified in this and other threads.

Regards,
Dave

Scott Lee
03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

I think you might be asking for the "flat mode" view (instead of the "threaded view"). I actually prefer "threaded view," but you can choose which view you prefer under "My Stuff" - "My Preferences" - "Topic Display Mode." You can also change this when you are in a thread, under "Topic Options."

I hope you get used to the new system and decide to stay. I also hope the administrator can fix all of the problems identified in this and other threads.

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Dave...Nope, I've got it on 'threaded view' now, but it doesn't make any difference. I have to say, I'm disappointed in the new interface here...nowhere as user friendly as it used to be.

Scott Lee

dr_dave
03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Dave...Nope, I've got it on 'threaded view' now, but it doesn't make any difference. I have to say, I'm disappointed in the new interface here...nowhere as user friendly as it used to be.</div></div>Scott,

I was suggesting you try "Flat Mode" instead of "Threaded Mode," but it sounds like you might have tried both already.

I agree that the "new" system leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully, the administrators will address some of the major concerns expressed by many users. On a positive note, the board does seem more stable now. I haven't noticed it being down once yet since the change.

Regards,
Dave

SKennedy
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Scott, hang with it (even though it may not feel right). It does get better. Isn't that what you tell your students? LOL

JimS
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IE 7 just logged in and downloaded the page. However, when I tried to post something hung up.

Exited IE 7
Started Firefox and posted this message.

Apparently there is a problem with IE 7 after cookies etc were cleared. </div></div>

THis is my first try with the new format and so far everything works fine. Edit: it worked fine with my Explorer.

Rich R.
04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
[quote=JimSTHis is my first try with the new format and so far everything works fine. Edit: it worked fine with my Explorer. [/quote]
The problems I was having seem to have cleared up.

Scott Lee
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, hang with it (even though it may not feel right). It does get better. Isn't that what you tell your students? LOL </div></div>

Thanks Steve...Yes that is what I tell my students!

Scott Lee