PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question

kevinkin
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
There seem to be various rules in place. For 8 ball and 9 ball the cue ball most first strike the object ball but whats next do either ball have to strike a rail?

Kevin

dr_dave
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevinkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There seem to be various rules in place. For 8 ball and 9 ball the cue ball most first strike the object ball but whats next do either ball have to strike a rail?</div></div>The OB must be pocketed or something must touch a rail after OB contact. For more info, see the concise summary of the rules (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/rules_summary.pdf) or the full WPA rules (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_tournament) online.

Regards,
Dave

1hit1der
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Dave's right. But you really only have to call a safety in 8 ball if you're intentionally going to pocket a ball and want to pass the next shot to your opponent.

Rackum_n_Crackum
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1hit1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave's right. But you really only have to call a safety in 8 ball if you're intentionally going to pocket a ball and want to pass the next shot to your opponent.</div></div>

Hmmmmmmm, can't say I have ever thought about using this stratigy.....I'll have to remember this one..

Sid_Vicious
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackum_n_Crackum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1hit1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave's right. But you really only have to call a safety in 8 ball if you're intentionally going to pocket a ball and want to pass the next shot to your opponent.</div></div>

Hmmmmmmm, can't say I have ever thought about using this stratigy.....I'll have to remember this one..</div></div>

Another you may not have thought about is a called safety after the break with the table still open, if your desired suit of choice is tough. A key ball of the other suit can be made with a call safety and leave a tough choice for the opponent, assuming you still leave a mess for his opening shot. Just a thought...sid

BigRigTom
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
These are good ideas.
That one for making a ball after calling safe was done to me in a tournament a while back ....so...I learned that trick the hard way.

A really good safe requires more skill and brains than making a tough shot and very often a well played safe will be the difference in who wins the game. That is especially true in 8 ball.

I just remembered....be careful...because some safes in the BCA don't work in the APA....you may wind up giving your opponent a ball in hand if you are not real careful switching back and forth in the different rule formats. That one Sid described will back fire in the APA

Billy_Bob
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
When playing 8-ball and your opponent has just one ball left on the table and you have all your balls left on the table, sometimes you can shoot in one of your balls with a stop shot calling a safety and this will snooker your opponent.

Then opponent misses kick at his ball... Then you get ball-in-hand and can again shoot in another of your balls with a stop shot calling safety and again snooker your opponent.

Sometimes you can shoot in 3 or 4 balls calling safety each time and snookering your opponent each time. And getting ball-in-hand each time.

I call these "free shots". You can get ball-in-hand several times in a row and get rid of clusters or trouble balls, then be in a good position to runout after that.

kevinkin
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Can "something" be a ball other than the cue ball or OB?

Kevin

BigRigTom
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevinkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can "something" be a ball other than the cue ball or OB?

Kevin</div></div>

Yes Kevin,
As long as you hit the object ball 1st, any other ball hitting the rail afterward (including the cue ball) qualifies.