PDA

View Full Version : porper lil shaver...anyone use it before?

blahblahblahk
03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I recently purchased a porper lil shaver, because my Lepro tip kept mushrooming on me. I used it on my tip and the next time I shot with it, my cue had a completely different hit to it. Also it was more miscue prone. Has anyone else had a problem with this?
I'm also thinking about getting a harder tip put on to avoid the whole mushrooming part. The local pool hall only has triangles and water buffalo for hard tips. Any reviews on these would be helpful. Or would I be better off getting a better hard tip online and having them put one on? Thanks.

Bambu
03-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Triangles and buffalos are good, and theres nothing wrong with the porper shaver. (Mine works ok anyway.) I never tried a lepro mediium, but I suspect your lepro tip is soft, thats why its mushrooming. I like the feel of the moori medium best, and they dont mushroom on me. But a tip is like a cue in alot of ways, its all just a matter of preference. You might like the triangles better, but the mooris seem to be more popular. I buy mine online, and have the locals put them on.

TheCueKnight
03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I have never used porper lil shaver, nor do I ever want to. I use a Porper's Mushroom Graser and love it, when I'm away from home, when I'm home I use my Willard Tipping Machine but at over $400 dollars not everyone has one. But for $14.95 a Porper's Mushroom Graser is close and portable.

As I'm a Le Pro lover I would have to say stay with the LE Pro.
As far as your miscueing goes if you put a harder tip on you will miscue more. A little hint if you don't let your tip mushroom it will always hit and feel the same. That's BIG

Another thing I would NEVER let anyone put a tip on my stick. I buy the Le Pro in a 50 box that way I always have a new one. And if a friend needs one well i give them one : - ))

Best of luck and shoot well

Heretic
03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I am not really a fan of portable shavers. This personal preferance may be a little biased though. I used to work as a machinist, so I am more comfortable with the precision of a lathe than I am with a hand held tool.
Apparently others have listened to me though, because my league team and most of my friends all bring their sticks to me for maintenance and tips (as of yet, I have never charged them. I keep threatening to, but probably never will)

BigRigTom
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not really a fan of portable shavers. This personal preferance may be a little biased though. I used to work as a machinist, so I am more comfortable with the precision of a lathe than I am with a hand held tool.
Apparently others have listened to me though, because my league team and most of my friends all bring their sticks to me for maintenance and tips (as of yet, I have never charged them. I keep threatening to, but probably never will)</div></div>

You must be a really nice guy to not charge for that stuff. Wish you were on my team...if you want to move to Southern California I'll clear a spot on both my 8 ball and my 9 ball teams...we are APA though.

caedos
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I've never had the miscue problem after using the lil shaver... but I make sure to resurface/texture my tip after using the lil shaver because the inner end-wall can change the hitting surface a bit from rubbing.

Tipwise, I used a water buffalo a few time with no problems. I played with triangle tips for several years in the 90's and loved them. Then Moori changed the world.

c

blahblahblahk
03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
It seems that Moori would be the way to go. If I'm used to using my LePro, would the Moori medium be better than a Moori hard? I'm curious because I shoot on a lot of 9 footers and I tend to hit shots too hard. Thus the mushrooming of my LePro. I would like a tip that would hold up well and not mushroom or get out of shape. Thats why I was thinking of getting a harder tip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.