PDA

View Full Version : pick my topic...

sack316
03-10-2008, 02:44 PM
dangit, clicked on "new topic" hoping that meant it would instantly give me my answer for choosing a topic for a informative speech for a communications class I'm in. Didn't work, so now I'll leave it up to you:

5-7 minute informative speech. I keep coming up with all kinds of things I'd like to do... and just can't narrow it down. I've gone from the political races, to gas prices, to the economy, to the lack of free and original thought in our society, to the media, to the stupidity of even having formulated rules and processes for giving a speech...and so on. So i guess I've done the brainstorming... now just gotta figure out what of these or anything else I wanna do and can research relatively easily before thursday. OK... and.... go!

Sack

editing to note other topics I've brainstormed on: drug and alcohol abuse (personal experience helps!), the credit crunch, why should bad homeowners get hooked up while I still get letters from credit card companies, steroids in sports, why does our gov't even care about steroids in sports with so much else going on... etc. etc. etc.

SKennedy
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Go with the topic you feel most strongly about and that you think you know enough about. If you are passionate about the topic, the class will recognize that fact. Have fun and good luck!

sack316
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks, actually last night as I was trying to go to sleep something hit me, and I stayed up most of the night working on it. Not good since I'm getting over the flu and need my rest, but good at the same time because I had to get some thoughts down while they were fresh in my mind.

Anyway, I decided to do something on online predators, and how we go about "solving" the problem the wrong way. I.E. punishment and prison are more warning to be more cautious rather than a deterrent to predators. And even in the rare event they are reported and caught, no treatment is actually given before they are released... so I'm stressing the lack of responsibility that parents are taking in their children's lives--- especially when it comes to internet activity--- and how the best prevention from such dangers lies at home rather than in the hands of courts, prisons, and the web sites themselves. I guess in a nutshell my point is gonna be "hey parents, stop blaming everyone else, do your friggin job, and take SOME responsibility for the life you brought into this dangerous world and you are much more likely to keep your kids safe!"

Sack