PDA

View Full Version : Lighting ? HDJ

08-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi Dan, or anyone else who may be able to offer advice. I'm going to build a light using 8' flouresent bulbs. I was thinking on two double 8'ers, one on each side of the table tilted slightly inwards and another row in the middle if required. I looked at the building supply store and they only had the 8'ers in the workshop style ( the two bulbs close together ). Dan are your bulbs only 2 to 3 inches apart? Do you have a list of the supplies you used when you build your light? Thanks, Terry

Rich R.
08-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Contact JimS. If my memory serves me, he built a light very similar to the one sold by Diamond. He may be able to help you. Rich R.

08-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks Rich, I couldn't remember if it was Jim S. or Jim R. that had the light so I just put Dan's name in the heading as I know he had made one and seemed to be pleased with it. Thanks, Terry

08-05-2002, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Terry:</font><hr> Hi Dan, or anyone else who may be able to offer advice. I'm going to build a light using 8' flouresent bulbs. I was thinking on two double 8'ers, one on each side of the table tilted slightly inwards and another row in the middle if required. I looked at the building supply store and they only had the 8'ers in the workshop style ( the two bulbs close together ). Dan are your bulbs only 2 to 3 inches apart? Do you have a list of the supplies you used when you build your light? Thanks, Terry <hr></blockquote>

mine is 3 pairs of 75w 8 footers, lain flat with the outside ones as far out as possible. essentially,it's a 2x4 box providing the top frame. the light grids and the spacers between them are not attached. they just sit on the bottom frame.

essentially, we stole the plans from diamond light. they've got a simple plan on their web site. they only use 2 sets of bulbs for the 8'.

i have a very high ceiling but i would warn against mounting this rig flush against a low ceiling due to the heat buildup. at least work in some venting.

the outside diamater as completed is 101" x 50 1/2". the height is 12"

using 2x4 lumber made the thing very heavy and i'm sure there are lighter ways to build it but we were worried about it flexing over time.

good luck. let us know how you do.

dan

Rich R.
08-05-2002, 12:17 PM
I didn't remember HDJ having built one. Obviously from his responce, he has. Rich R.~~~good luck.

08-05-2002, 12:21 PM
Dan, Thanks for the tips. I'll try to build it on the light weight side. I'll also have a look at the Diamond web site for their plans. Thanks, Terry

JimS
08-05-2002, 01:02 PM
I had one built per Dan's ideas with a few modifications.

Mine is 43" x 99" x 9", including the trim. Three 8 ft fixtures spaced evenly. It hangs 39" from the slate. Being a little smaller box than Dan's I don't hit my head on it but a tall guy, over 6', might. I'd recommend hanging it about 45 to 50 above the table, especially if you make yours as big as Dan's.

I strongly recommend electronic ballasts. Everything else I tried hummed noticeably and I had to spend extra money to buy new electronic ballasts and install them while the light was hanging......a pain in the arse.

Mine is constructed out of 5/8" plywood with an oak top layer. No framing. It's still very heavy. I'd guess about 150 lbs and I think that's being conservative. I recommend the expensive diffusers. Chromed plastic with the cube shaped holes. Sorry I don't have a better way of describing them.

It does a great job, no shadows anywhere, it's very good looking with the oak finish and stain and I have no complaints now that the humming is fixed.

I ended up spending almost as much as the diamond light would have cost so you might think about buying their light. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.diamondbilliards.com>www.diamondbilliard.com</a>

08-05-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks Jim, I thought I remembered you saying something about the ballasts. I don't have the plans on paper yet, but I have a good idea how I want it ( thats how I do everything LOL ). I think I'll probably use some sort of metal brackets and have 1/4" oak plywood on the sides and ends. Are the bulbs in your light fixture only 2 to 3 inches apart in each separate light fixture? Thanks, Terry

JimS
08-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Yes. They are "normal" fixtures. I didn't know they came with bulbs that varied in width apart.

Chris Cass
08-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Hi Terry,

I will say one thing. Jim's light looks factory done and totally beautiful. I've never seen a light so pretty. His table is sweet too. It's a Diamond Pro with tight pockets. It rolls so straight I can't get used to it. If it wasn't for licking my thumb and running it across Jim's cue tip when he goes to the john. I wouldn't get a shot. I'm beginning to think it's a one owner table. Something like a one owner dog.

Regards,

C.C.

08-06-2002, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Terry,

I will say one thing. Jim's light looks factory done and totally beautiful. I've never seen a light so pretty. His table is sweet too. It's a Diamond Pro with tight pockets. It rolls so straight I can't get used to it. If it wasn't for licking my thumb and running it across Jim's cue tip when he goes to the john. I wouldn't get a shot. I'm beginning to think it's a one owner table. Something like a one owner dog.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Chris, I can just see ya now cleanning Jim's tip for him. Why not work on Jim's mental game, break like ya don't know him.LOL. Are you sure your not letting Jim beat ya so he doesn't take his table and balls and send ya home , LOL. That's what I do when someone comes into my place and beats me, I tell them I got a headache, and I send them home LOL. Terry

08-06-2002, 01:59 PM
ballasts come with a noise rating from A to F, A being the quitest. Noise ratings are printed on the ballast. A's are hard to find. Rating (B). will do fine.

08-06-2002, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> I had one built per Dan's ideas with a few modifications.

I strongly recommend electronic ballasts. Everything else I tried hummed noticeably and I had to spend extra money to buy new electronic ballasts and install them while the light was hanging......a pain in the arse. <hr></blockquote>

well shoot, mine does have a hum. long time ago when you mentioned that, i thought there was none. i noticed that when the 3 big pairs powered-up there was a hum but it went away in seconds but late last night i was working on some banks with absolutely no sound in the room and there it was. sure isn't much to me (many years as a disc jockey has eroded my hearing somewhat) and i'd be hard put to describe it as a problem but it is there. you were right.

after a year and a half, or so, it seems to be time to replace the lights. they seem to be dimming some, especially at the ends. do they do that??

dan

08-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Hi Chris, I hope you know I was only Kiddin around with ya in the above post, I just reread it and I thought maybe it could be taken the wrong way. I remember you and Scott Lee telling us about how much fun you guys had at Jim's place awhile back. I remember you saying that held back on breaking on that new Diamond Pro table.It sounds like Jim has a great setup. I'm replacing my 8'er with a commercial 9'er in less than 30 days. I'm going to try and make a good light and I already got a great bar,LOL.Wheres my priorities,LOL. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Terry

08-06-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Terry:</font><hr> Hi Chris, I hope you know I was only Kiddin around with ya in the above post, I just reread it and I thought maybe it could be taken the wrong way. I remember you and Scott Lee telling us about how much fun you guys had at Jim's place awhile back. I remember you saying that held back on breaking on that new Diamond Pro table.It sounds like Jim has a great setup. I'm replacing my 8'er with a commercial 9'er in less than 30 days. I'm going to try and make a good light and I already got a great bar,LOL.Wheres my priorities,LOL. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Terry <hr></blockquote>

i'm sure you have already thought about this but one of these lights is a lot easier to hang before the table goes in. we wound up standing it on one side, hooking the chains then walking it up a few links at a time till it was right. i don't know how many people it would have taken trying to hold the thing while leaning over an expensive new table. especially with the idiot owner standing there screaming "don't drop it, you'll kill my baby!"

dan

08-06-2002, 02:54 PM
i'm sure you have already thought about this but one of these lights is a lot easier to hang before the table goes in. we wound up standing it on one side, hooking the chains then walking it up a few links at a time till it was right. i don't know how many people it would have taken trying to hold the thing while leaning over an expensive new table. especially with the idiot owner standing there screaming "don't drop it, you'll kill my baby!"

dan

<hr></blockquote>

Hi Dan, Yes I remember you commenting on the weight of your light. I only have a regular height ceiling, and i'll try to make it as light as possible. I can understand the idiots concern, LOL. Thanks, Terry

Rod
08-06-2002, 08:46 PM
after a year and a half, or so, it seems to be time to replace the lights. they seem to be dimming some, especially at the ends. do they do that??"

Dan, yes they do. I'ts fairly common to see them dark the last couple of inches. In time it just gets worst. A guy told me, maybe he was an electrician I don't remember, that it is hard on the ballast when they turn dark. It made sense because I had to change several ballasts. After I started changing tubes like yours look, I may have only replaced 1 or 2 balasts. We had a lot of lights, not a pool room though.