PDA

View Full Version : Aramith measles vs. Super aramith pro cue ball ?

Bambu
03-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know if there is any difference between a super aramith pro cue ball, as opposed to a 6 dot measles ball? Recently, I was getting what seemed like "extra action" off a super aramith pro cue ball. But it may have just been the machine polishing, as the place keeps their equipment up very well. So is that ball set any different, or is it just the aramith logo on the cue ball, instead of the 6 dots?

http://www.billiard-place.com/super-aramith-ball-p-90.html

JoeW
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Is the Super Aramith Pro ball the "Red Dot" CB?

I think, but am not sure, that it has been said that the measles ball weighs a little more than a red dot and that a red dot weighs a little less than a blue dot. The measles ball and the blue dot are comparable, I think. The blue dot comes with the Centennial set.

When I first got the measles ball I thought I got better action with it. However, after the weight differences were stated, I weighed mine and found out it was true (my scale busted the other day so I can't do it right now or I would).

Next I played with all three using the same shots etc and found that the red dot had the most action (it is lightest) and that what I thought was better action with the measles ball really came from my ability to see what the CB was doing with the measles ball.

I continue to prefer the measles ball because I learn so much more about CB roll.

All of my statements are based on memory from a few weeks ago and are subject to change by anyone with better information.

Bambu
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Super Aramith Pro ball the "Red Dot" CB?

I think, but am not sure, that it has been said that the measles ball weighs a little more than a red dot and that a red dot weighs a little less than a blue dot. The measles ball and the blue dot are comparable, I think. The blue dot comes with the Centennial set.

When I first got the measles ball I thought I got better action with it. However, after the weight differences were stated, I weighed mine and found out it was true (my scale busted the other day so I can't do it right now or I would).

Next I played with all three using the same shots etc and found that the red dot had the most action (it is lightest) and that what I thought was better action with the measles ball really came from my ability to see what the CB was doing with the measles ball.

I continue to prefer the measles ball because I learn so much more about CB roll.

All of my statements are based on memory from a few weeks ago and are subject to change by anyone with better information.

</div></div>

I switched from the red dot to the measles ball too, Joe. And, I had similar observations and preferences. But I was talking about the red aramith logo ball set. It has a red swirl, not just a dot. Take a look:

http://www.billiard-place.com/super-aramith-ball-p-90.html

BigRigTom
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Good Questions Bambu, The Super Aramith ball with the red logo is about 1/2 the price of the Aramith Pro Cup (measle ball).

Are we paying $15 extra for the spots or is there a more significant difference?

I like the measle ball because like Joe says, I can see what the cue ball is doing and that is a great step up from others cue balls. When you get a lot of spin on that measle ball you know it and you also know when the spin dies or is reversed off the rail.

JoeW
03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, now I am confused. I bought a set of Super Aramith Pro Balls about one year ago (or so). And the ball that came with the set is the one shown on the web site that Bambu referred to.

I also have a Red Dot and a Blue Dot, an IPT CB and the Measles ball. I think I have one too many Cue balls. Anyway, the Red Dot and the Super Aramith Pro seem to be identical --- to me. Wish that scale had not been broken, I would weigh everything all over again.

When you have grandchildren around, things get broke !

Yeah Tom, I think we are paying $15.00 for the spots (and the added weight). However, the Measles ball does not weigh 50% more than te red dot.

BigRigTom
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JoeW said...."the Measles ball does not weigh 50% more than te red dot. </div></div>

Thank goodness for that. &lt;(;}

Alfie
03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish that scale had not been broken, I would weigh everything all over again.</div></div>Bring them to a post office or a UPS store.

Bambu
03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Ah well, thanks anyway tom and joe. I guess I will have to buy one, and have 10 cue balls like you.