PDA

View Full Version : White Lines?

mbippus
03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
How do they get those white lines on the cloth? Is it bleached on?

Deeman3
03-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Leftover Cocain Residue, I think.

They use a pen with white ink. You can get one at a crafts store.

mbippus
03-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I was thinking about taking the spot off of my table an just putting a little mark there instead, I'll have to check out Micheals.

av84fun
03-13-2008, 04:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbippus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they get those white lines on the cloth? Is it bleached on? </div></div>

Not sure what white lines you're referring to but if you mean from break area on the head string to the foot spot, that is caused by friction as the CB hops repeatedly on the break shot.

And DON'T take the spot off. It will cause a dent in the cloth to deepen much quicker. I change my spots as soon as the dent starts "holding" the 1 ball.

Regards,
Jim

wolfdancer
03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
If the white lines in question are just the "burn" marks from breaking....you can minimize them by using a "break cloth".
An extra piece of table cloth, about 12" X 4"....
It's a trick I picked up from a pool hall, and it's kept them from appearing on my table for 3 yrs now.
Not sure if I have your question correct, or if it has already been answered....
I also use the cloth for extra protection, to practice jump and masse shots....
But that's just my thing.....the more learned here may disagree....
Just like driving though....you want to keep in between the whit lines....

Bambu
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the white lines in question are just the "burn" marks from breaking....you can minimize them by using a "break cloth".
An extra piece of table cloth, about 12" X 4"....
It's a trick I picked up from a pool hall, and it's kept them from appearing on my table for 3 yrs now.
Not sure if I have your question correct, or if it has already been answered....
I also use the cloth for extra protection, to practice jump and masse shots....
But that's just my thing.....the more learned here may disagree....
Just like driving though....you want to keep in between the whit lines....</div></div>

How do you not have any lines on the table? Do you change your break spot so the cloth wears evenly? I use the cloth too, but I still break from the same spot. So I have no pitting from that spot, but the burn marks are there around mid table. It seems as if during the break there is a jump from the piece of cloth, to the burn marks at mid table.

Deeman3
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I beleived he was talking about the white guide lines he saw on the Mosconi Cup tables that identify the break box, foot string and kitchen line.

Billy_Bob
03-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I put lines on my table for practice by using a construction chalk line. You pull the line out of the spool, pull the line tight between the two points, then snap it. Then I vacuum up the excess dust. For example I place a line diagonal from corner pocket to corner pcoket. Then can practice progressive straight in shots and align the balls exactly straight on the line.

Also I use "tailor's chalk" which you can get at a fabric store or a sewing store. They use this to mark hems on pants legs for how high they should be. It is white and triangular shaped with sharp edges. I use this to mark where the rack goes on the table for quicker racking - commonly done with 14.1 (straight pool). Again this leaves "particles" on the table after marking, so I vacuum after marking the table.

mbippus
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I was talking about the headstring lines, but all good info. That is a great idea about the chalk line for staight shots. I think i'll try that.

wolfdancer
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, see....that's why I get "drilled" every time I post up here in the pro division....
Along those "lines" I was wondering if I could washable chalk (they do make that??) on my table to check out some aim lines?
White line fever is also called highway hypnosis.....I think something like that affects me playing pool....

wolfdancer
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
you might have a better break...I've got some faint lines though, as I do have some good players come over to drill me...
It wasn't my original idea....when they recovered the tables at the local pool room, they asked the tournament players to use a break cloth. It helped delay the burn marks for awhile.....

Jazz
03-14-2008, 02:08 PM
My poolhall use black line ... straight across headstring and perpendicular line down from the spot for lining up balls for 1 hole.

Deeman3
03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
As I might have eluded to earlier, If the white lines are of chalk, you just might have tracks resempling those "other" white lines we have seen so many of in years past.

I would think chalk would migrate, get wet from the oil off the balls rolling over it and might end up a clump mess (South Alabama Term), but I am not really sure. The white pen does seem to be the best choice for permanent lines although i have the standard black ones. The one I used at Derby City came from Michaels as someone here noted.

Bambu
03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you might have a better break...I've got some faint lines though, as I do have some good players come over to drill me...
It wasn't my original idea....when they recovered the tables at the local pool room, they asked the tournament players to use a break cloth. It helped delay the burn marks for awhile.....
</div></div>

Wasnt my idea either(I wish). Picked it up in a pool room in ft. lauderdale, beyond billiards. It works but I cant figure out if the cloth assists the cue ball in becomming airborn or not. Either way, the cloth prevents the pitting, and thats more important.

Bambu
03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleived he was talking about the white guide lines he saw on the Mosconi Cup tables that identify the break box, foot string and kitchen line.</div></div>

Ah, thanks Dee!