PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a Pool Cue

1Time
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Other than Lucasi, what pool cue brands have a narrow diameter to the cue's butt like Players cues?

Are Schmelke cues like this? Others? Thanks

Heretic
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Meucci is the first that comes to mind. Some McDermotts do as well.

There are a lot of cues with a smaller diameter, because that seems to be where the trend is headed.

(I listed less expensive ones only because of your referance to players brand)

1Time
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meucci is the first that comes to mind. Some McDermotts do as well.</div></div>
I've owned a couple Meucci cues and a McDermott, but the diameter of the butt / handle was not as small as the Players cues I've seen. And I always check them out when I go shopping locally. Even the Lucasi I had was slightly larger in diameter. The only other brand that I've seen that had a narrow diameter butt / handle was a one piece Schmelke I owned many years ago. I wonder if their 2 piece cues today are smaller in diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of cues with a smaller diameter, because that seems to be where the trend is headed. </div></div>
I did not know this was the trend, and I have determined this to be my preference. The smaller diameter cues feel better with my grip and they seem to hit better for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I listed less expensive ones only because of your referance to players brand) </div></div>
I just bought a used Players cue on eBay and was wondering if there are any higher quality new cues with a similar narrow diameter butt / handle. Thanks

bsmutz
03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a Schmelke that is at least 4 years old (when I bought it at a local store) and although I haven't measured it, it seems to be about the same diameter as the two Lucasis I own, FWIW. I know they have great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to call them and see if they would be willing to make one to your specs. I'd put my money on yes.

Heretic
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
I have quite a few sticks, ranging in age from older than I am, to new as of Christmas. The older sticks seem to be heavier and larger diameter. At least in the sticks I own, there seems to be a steady progression towards narrower and lighter sticks.

I have a soft hit, so prefer the narrower/lighter sticks.

1Time
03-24-2008, 02:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsmutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Schmelke that is at least 4 years old (when I bought it at a local store) and although I haven't measured it, it seems to be about the same diameter as the two Lucasis I own, FWIW. I know they have great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to call them and see if they would be willing to make one to your specs. I'd put my money on yes. </div></div>
Great advise. I very likely will be contacting Schmelke if at least one of my two new cues don't work out. Thanks