PDA

View Full Version : Great Instructors

JoeW
03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I am trying to compile a list of ”Great” Instructors). This list includes BCA Master Instructors and their web sites. Can anyone add to the list? The URLs are (or will be) listed on my web site.

Jerry Brieseth, Madison, Wisc
Fran Crimini Long Island (can’t find a web site)
Fred Fechter, Peoria, IL.
Randy Goldwater, Richardson, Texas
Bob Jewett, San Francisco, Calif
Bob Radford, Rockford, IL
Tom Simpson, Columbus, Ohio
Roy Yamane, Los Angeles, Calif.

I understand there are 10 – 12 BCA Master level Instructors but I can’t seem to identify the others.

Fred Fechter discusses the “CueSport International Instructors Association” Listed instructors include: Arkadiy Loshakov, Ph.D., Nick Varner, Roger Long, Tom Ross, Buddy Hall, Tim White, Tim Campana, Mark Wilson, Tom Rossman, and Jack Koehler, Among others.

This is an impressive list of instructors. Apparently Fechter was the first BCA Master Instructor but he and others (?) have resigned and possibly formed this new association. Does anyone know what this is about. I am not trying to stir any pot. I am simply attempting to learn what is going on and why.

Some of the other instructors on my links page are not Master level but are widely known and recognized for their talents. Other additions would be appreciated.

Pocket Billiards Review (http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/index.htm)

Ace
03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I have been taking lessons from "Hillbilly" Charlie Bryant in Houston, Texas. He is very good at presenting his knowledge of pool and billiards. I have learned quite alot in the last few months.

pooltchr
03-21-2008, 06:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy Goldwater, Richardson, Texas

</div></div>

I believe that's Randy Goettlicher (Founder of Cue Tech)

As for your question, instructors may move off the BCA list for a variety of reasons. Some don't teach full time, and may not meet the minimum requirements for the number of students per year the BCA mandates. Some leave for personal or political reasons. Some may not see the value of being associated with the BCA and move out on their own. Still others may not want to pay the annual fees to maintain their accreditation.

BCA certification is certainly not required to be a good instructor. I personally think it gives me a network of other top instructors to continue to work with and learn from. For example, Randy was a guest in my home for 2 weeks last year while we held some classes. It was a great opportunity for us to share ideas on pool, teaching, golf, and life.

There are many great instructors outside of the BCA, just as there are some not-so-great instructor within the BCA. The ones I have been fortunate enough to work with are the top of their field.

Oh yeah, add Scott Lee to that list...he's one of the best!

Steve

JoeW
03-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Thank you for the spelling correction on Randy's name. I try to do better than that as I have learned that nearly everyone like to have their name spelled right. Sorry I forgot to add yours Steve, I will do it today.

Scott Lee is listed. From everything I have heard he is among the great teachers.

Ace, can you tell me anymore how to contact Charlie Bryant, Contact, web site etc.

I remember reading about a fellow in St Louis but can't remember his name. Seems a lot of people on AZB think he teaches well.

I assume that if the person is a pro and teaches then there are probably some people interested. I am not looking to evaluate people just to create a referral list to well known people who do not have a "bad" history.

In addition to well respected instructor / coaches I am attempting to sort by geographic location as that should be useful to people.

bsmutz
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Most people around these parts would not put Tim White on their list of instructors to recommend due to his shenanigans with Landon Shuffet and his father. Of course, if you prefer taking lessons from some dude in his underwear or worse, then go for it.

Here's a link to the BCA list of active instructors. http://www.bca-pool.com/play/instruction/BCA_Instructors_Active.htm
They are listed as either recognized, advanced, master, and certified. I'm not sure what the differences are.
There's a list of reserve instructors also: http://www.bca-pool.com/play/instruction/BCA_Instructors_Reserve.htm

Fran seems to be part of the BCA infrastructure, so she can be contacted through the BCA's web site.

JoeW
03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the link. I don't know how I missed it when searching their site. None-the-less I will use it for general referral purposes.

I read where Fran Crimi is one of the administrators of the program and assumed that she was still teaching. An email address is listed but no web site.

Some of the prior Master level teachers are no longer in that group. Probably a continuing education or dues problem.

wolfdancer
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
(just plain) Joe,.....Jose Mehias,who teaches along with Bob Jewett at the SF Billiard Academy, is a Master instructor, as is Fran Crimi (I believe). I think your Randy Goldwater in another post, was Randy Goettlicher from Cue-Tech.
Dues may be a problem, but where does a Master Instructor go for continuing ed? I think there's a certain point where your cup is filled????
Not so with golf, as they keep reinventing the wheel in that sport, the latest buzz, "stack and tilt"...I'm still trying to figure out "square to square" from 40 some years ago.
Back to pool.....I played so long with a bad setup, that I'm finding it hard to change during a match. 19 yrs playing this game, and still can't figure out how to align my body to the shot. It's just foot placement, but from the gene pool, I lack the pool gene.
Looking at the bright side though....the "Master" players expect to make every shot and are disappointed when one fails to drop.
I'm just thrilled when one happens to go in......two in a row is a minor miracle, while 3 is orgasmic.....kind of...

socrates
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I think it might actually Steve Campana vs. Tim Campana you were refering to on Fred Fechter's site.
From my point of view this is more of a collection of instructors that have a connection with Fred than an active or competing group with any other associtation. In my case I have taken lessons from Fred, periodically attended his events or workshops and consider him a gentleman and a friend. I also spent a considerable amount of time playing and taking lessons in Mark Wilsons "Matchroom Billiards" when it was located in the Quad Cities. Mark is now teaching out of the St. Louis area and has a web site that I beleive is playgreatpool.com it might also be play better pool.com. I have never met Tim White or seen him at any events so I am not sure what his connection with Fred might be.
Hope you find this information helpful.

JJFSTAR
03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I think you have to add Robert Byrne to that list, through his works he has taught more people how to play pool than anyone. I am not sure about the purpose of your list so he may not fit the bill but his website is. http://www.byrne.org/pool/ Here in Pittsburgh PA there lives the keeper of the National Billiard Achieves Mr. Mike Shamos he is also a BCA certified instructor. I shot with him for many years and can attest to his skill in teaching but cannot find his website if he has one. Also IMHO you do not need any certification at all to be an effective pool teacher. Some of the pro’s that I have seen teaching quite frankly stink at it, I have seen some of them use what I call the “Shoot the” method of teaching and that is only a little better than the “Hit it right here” method. I am a great teacher and I have a website and I am nothing more than a pool team captain of a winning team.

av84fun
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Allision Fisher and Gerda Hofstatter join together for a series of two day Pool Schools every year. I am a two-time attendee and have taken a full day private lesson from Alli.

They are GREAT teachers.

Regards,
Jim

JoeW
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Thank you everyone. I will add and or correct as needed. If there are more please post here. And yeah I agree that most everyone mentioned should be included.

However, right now I get a little pool time and will make the additions and corrections later.

On the continuing education thing, I think that all professionals should be engaged in advanced learning to keep ahead of their students and to improve their teaching ability if nothing else. I am currently teaching my last classes and find that I am still learning from my students. They keep changing, getting smarter, and having new and different questions to some very old topics.

After many years as a professor in a university setting I am of the decided opinion that some of the best teachers are not always found in educational settings.

As some wag noted, "those who can - do.
Those who can't - teach.
And those who can't teach - teach teachers."

I am also of the opinion that any "teacher" needs to have abilities that exceed the student's if not they are a coach, not a teacher. But then that is all semantics and only has meaning to those of us who teach.

Just plain Joe !

Rich R.
03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy Goldwater, Richardson, Texas</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that's Randy Goettlicher (Founder of Cue Tech)</div></div>
Just for the record, IIRC, Randy Goldwater is the guy in NYC, with deep pockets, who has sponsored some straight pool tournaments.

Billy_Bob
03-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Dr. David Alciatore
Jimmy Reid
Bob Jewett
Tim White

dr_dave
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Joe,

FYI, I have a list of some of the more well-known pool schools (with links) here:
billiards.colostate.edu/links.html#Schools (http://billiards.colostate.edu/links.html#Schools)

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to compile a list of ”Great” Instructors). This list includes BCA Master Instructors and their web sites. Can anyone add to the list? The URLs are (or will be) listed on my web site.

I understand there are 10 – 12 BCA Master level Instructors but I can’t seem to identify the others.

Fred Fechter discusses the “CueSport International Instructors Association” Listed instructors include: Arkadiy Loshakov, Ph.D., Nick Varner, Roger Long, Tom Ross, Buddy Hall, Tim White, Tim Campana, Mark Wilson, Tom Rossman, and Jack Koehler, Among others.

This is an impressive list of instructors. Apparently Fechter was the first BCA Master Instructor but he and others (?) have resigned and possibly formed this new association. Does anyone know what this is about. I am not trying to stir any pot. I am simply attempting to learn what is going on and why.

Some of the other instructors on my links page are not Master level but are widely known and recognized for their talents. Other additions would be appreciated.

Pocket Billiards Review (http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/index.htm)

</div></div>

BigRigTom
03-22-2008, 11:38 AM
This thread is a great read. I wish I knew some of these teachers or any pool teacher for that matter. I would gladly recommend them.

What about the Monk....does he qualify for your list, Joe?
Here is his web site link

http://www.themonk.com/

Don't personally know him either but I have heard a lot and read quite a bit about him plus his Pool Academy recently opened a knew school out here in San Diego.

Majic
03-22-2008, 07:59 PM
What do other teaching professionals think of Kinister and his pool teaching methods. I noticed that his name is not mentioned in this thread and apparently he has taught many.

Scott Lee
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to compile a list of ”Great” Instructors). This list includes BCA Master Instructors and their web sites. Can anyone add to the list? The URLs are (or will be) listed on my web site.

Pocket Billiards Review (http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/index.htm) </div></div>

Joe...Your list is flawed and incomplete. Jerry Briesath was the first "BCA master instructor", and the founder of the BCA certified instructor program. Fred Fector and Roy Yamane are no longer BCA master instructors because they failed to keep up the requirements necessary to keep their certifications. The ACS 'instructor program' is basically a sham (more than anything else, just to oppose the BCA accredited program), and does not require it's 'instructors' to have any kind of real qualifications. Mark Wilson left the BCA program for other reasons, but is still considered one of the top instructors in the country.

Randy Goldwater is a pool aficianado from NYC, not an instructor. You're referring to Randy Goettlicher, who is a BCA master instructor, with Cue Tech Pool School, in Richardson, TX...and regarded as the top instructor in the U.S.

Although I am not yet a BCA master certified instructor, you should add me to that list, if only for the comments that my students make about me here, and on other pool forums. I have demonstrated that I have the skills necessary. I just have to jump through the BCA hoops to acquire my master certification.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Jack...Not true. Randyg, cados (Oz), pooltcher, Denny Stewart, and many other SPF instructors are constantly learning new and better ways to communicate with our students and help them diagnose and resolve problems in their pool games. For example, I showed Randy something a few months ago, that I invented (the 'personal template'), which I believe can revolutionize how a player looks at their stroke...and give them a very easy way to make corrections and measure results. Randy's response was, "Wow, that's a great addition, and I'm going to start using it with my students immediately." Other instructors I shared this with are also using it in their teaching. Great instructors are also students for life!

Scott Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Dues may be a problem, but where does a Master Instructor go for continuing ed? I think there's a certain point where your cup is filled????
Not so with golf, as they keep reinventing the wheel in that sport, the latest buzz, </div></div>

JoeW
03-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks Scott, many of these corrections have been made, and your name is on the list at my site. I will make the other corrections this morning.

Your info concerning ACS is interesting as I had no idea how such well known players became involved. Apparently, they are contacted through Fector web site.

Bambu
03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Scott, can you elaborate on your personal template, or some of your other teaching techniques? Any advice is appreciated(but if not, I can respect that as well).

Bambu
03-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Joe, I think Frans last name is crimi, not crimini.

DennyS
03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks Scott for including me! I'm often overlooked but I stay pretty busy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack...Not true. Randyg, cados (Oz), pooltcher, Denny Stewart, and many other SPF instructors are constantly learning new and better ways to communicate with our students and help them diagnose and resolve problems in their pool games. For example, I showed Randy something a few months ago, that I invented (the 'personal template'), which I believe can revolutionize how a player looks at their stroke...and give them a very easy way to make corrections and measure results. Randy's response was, "Wow, that's a great addition, and I'm going to start using it with my students immediately." Other instructors I shared this with are also using it in their teaching. Great instructors are also students for life!

Scott Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not so with golf, as they keep reinventing the wheel in that sport, the latest buzz, </div></div> </div></div>

JoeW
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I have revised and updated my instructor referral list which is similar to but a little longer than Dr Dave's list. If there are other additions or corrections please post here or email. Thank you everyone for the help.

I did not list people who do not have a web site. Byrne's site does not list instructionsal services. Kinnister does not have a site. However their works should probably be included in a list of Great Pool Books and DVDs. So I feel another list coming on. I will get one started and then ask for additions.

socrates
03-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I believe Bert Kinister's web site is

http://www.bertkinister.com

wolfdancer
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Scott, can't quite picture how your "invention" works, but if it impressed Randy, then I'm sure it's going to help us struggling neophytes. I wrote that "cup is filled" bit jokingly. When I asked Robert Byrne to autograph my book, he added " to a fellow student of the game".
Compared to a golf swing, a pool stroke would seem easy to master, yet I see so many bad strokes when I play.....and I'm not that all thrilled by my own stabbing attempts.
You mentioned something that really resonates with me....instructors learning to communicate better with their students. I've seen my share of pool and golf lessons, mostly golf though...where the pro and the student were not on the same page, and the problem was usually the pro's....he couldn't adapt to the student's way of learning.
Hope the "personal template" works as well as advertised.....you might become so high in demand that you'll have to hire a "stunt double" so that you can appear to be in two places at once.

dr_dave
03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is a great read. I wish I knew some of these teachers or any pool teacher for that matter. I would gladly recommend them.

What about the Monk....does he qualify for your list, Joe?
Here is his web site link

http://www.themonk.com/

Don't personally know him either but I have heard a lot and read quite a bit about him plus his Pool Academy recently opened a knew school out here in San Diego. </div></div>Thanks for the link. I've added him and others to my list (http://billiards.colostate.edu/links.html#Schools). I've also read some of his stuff. His approach is certainly "different," but he does seem to have lots of "followers."

Regards,
Dave

pooltchr
03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Scott,
I look forward to seeing your personal template. I hope you will be able to make the Charlotte Pool School trip this year. (September...one month earlier than in the past). Or if you're in the area before then, give me a call.
Steve

JoeW
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Something is wrong with the bertkinister.com link. It tries to load but never loads. Perhaps he has a very slow server.

Scott Lee
03-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Bambu...The personal template is a process that teaches each individual how to fit their stroke to their own individual body style and habits. It takes into account the student's stance, grip, bridge, timing, and stroke. It easily defines the most accurate and repeatable process of delivering the cuestick through the CB, to a natural finish point. What this means, essentially, is that the cuetip will finish at the SAME place, past the CB, for every shot (even the break). If it doesn't, the student knows what to correct, and how to correct it...on the next stroke attempt. After learning what the dimensions of a person's personal template are, they are then shown exercises to help 'ingrain' this process, until it becomes a habit (usually a 3-4 week process with short periods of daily practice). Once it's a habit, it replaces the old way the student used to deliver the cue, and it's like you never played any other way. I like to describe it as "riding a bike with no hands"...a totally unconscious reflex action. This is done through real-time, and slow-motion video analysis.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
03-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Truthfully, I don't know why there is such acrimony between the ACS and the BCA...but it seems to originate with the ACS. Originally there was great suspicion that the BCA league structure would greatly change, being purchased by a private individual (Mark Griffin). Personally, I think the BCAPL is better than ever, and Mark has done a great job, in taking over the BCA Pool League. There is certainly room for both organizations.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
03-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Correct...Fran Crimi

Scott Lee

Bambu
03-25-2008, 08:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu...The personal template is a process that teaches each individual how to fit their stroke to their own individual body style and habits. It takes into account the student's stance, grip, bridge, timing, and stroke. It easily defines the most accurate and repeatable process of delivering the cuestick through the CB, to a natural finish point. What this means, essentially, is that the cuetip will finish at the SAME place, past the CB, for every shot (even the break). If it doesn't, the student knows what to correct, and how to correct it...on the next stroke attempt. After learning what the dimensions of a person's personal template are, they are then shown exercises to help 'ingrain' this process, until it becomes a habit (usually a 3-4 week process with short periods of daily practice). Once it's a habit, it replaces the old way the student used to deliver the cue, and it's like you never played any other way. I like to describe it as "riding a bike with no hands"...a totally unconscious reflex action. This is done through real-time, and slow-motion video analysis.

Scott Lee</div></div>

That personal touch sounds great, thanks Scott. Now if I could only get my wife to practice following through for 3 weeks straight, that would be the real challenge. She cant even cook for a week straight!

bluey2king
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I would like to Add:
Tom Ross Denver CO
Samm Deip Denver CO
Tom Rossman
Joe Tucker NJ

JJFSTAR
03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great instructors are also students for life!

</div></div>
You said it all right there, thats what its all about. I have been saying that for 15 years.

Fran Crimi
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Joe,

Interesting thread you've started here. I am still actively teaching but I understand if you would rather not list me on your site because I don't have a website. Maybe I'll get one someday, but right now I'm kind of busy and it's not a priority for me.

In the meantime, regarding BCA teaching levels --- For you or anyone who is interested: BCA Recognized instructors are those who have completed the first tier of training and testing and are considered quailfied to teach a minmum of beginning through some intermediate level players. We have many instructors who are Recognized and capable of teaching much higher level players and for whatever reason, choose not to progress within the program.

Certified level means that the instructor has completed high level training and testing and is considered capable of working with players at any level.

The other two levels --- Advanced and Master ---In addition to having the credentials of the Certified instructor, Advanced and Master Instructors have the credentials to train and test other instructors, either for entry into the program or advancement within it.

Fran

JoeW
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks Fran, that is the kind of info I was looking for.
I noticed your email address on the BCA listings. Do you take student requests by email? If you do then I will post you email address. I did not want to post an email listing unless I had permission from an instructor.

Fran Crimi
03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Sure, feel free to post my email address. It's on the BCA website, so it's not private. I do take requests and inquiries by email.

Thanks,
Fran

DickLeonard
04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Wolfdancer I gave up playing golf at 14 I was 4ft7 and 70lbs I was shooting in the low 90s at the private country club where I caddied only shooting one day a week. Iwas 5ft 2 and 86 lbs when I graduated from high school so I knew I made the right decision not to waste my time on Golf.

Now I played pool with JOE CANTON the 1951 National Champion from 1958 till 1960. I have told this time and time again he did all the shooting and I did all the racking. Then I came up with the bright idea of mentally copying his stroke while he was shooting. With in 6 months of using this method I started running hundreds on him.

Your body cannot tell the difference between mentally shooting and shooting..A form of Pool that I call hitchhiking, I have seen other people use this word in articles but I have used this 48 years.

These two years playing Joe gave me a Doctors Degree in playing 14.1. Don Willis would always tell me Jimmy Moore said if he knew what Joe Canton knew about straight pool Mosconi would never beat him. It is easy to run hundreds when you don't shoot a hard shot. FYI Joe Canton was 5ft 3 inches tall and was at a terrrible disadvantage on 5x10 tables. The first year they went to 4 1/2x 9 Joe won the National Title by running 110 balls and out on Irving Crane.

The next thing is never go to a tournament without putting yourself at the table. Pool is an up close sport and it is possible to assume the idenity of one of the players. This gives you the feeling of shooting under presure.####

socrates
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Dick thanks for sharing.

"Assume the virtue if you have it not"
I believe that is William Shakespeare.

"What the mind can conceive the body will achieve"

Similar experiences after returning from table tennis tournaments in high school and college; rounds of golf after watching professionals up close on the driving range at the pga tournament in town,(I always follow golfers of similar height and build to mine) playing pool with someone with great rythmn, stroke and knowledge of patterns.

Dr. Dennis Waitley also reported similar instances of POW's who played thier home course in thier minds during captivity and returned home to play as well or better than before they left after recovering their health.

Cheers,

Treehumper
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Waitley also said, "If you don't think it's a great day then just try missing it."

Most games move beyond mechanics to become games of the mind.

MichaelS
04-05-2008, 06:57 AM
I took some lessons with very good results from Bert Kinister from Flossmor, Illinois. My game went up 20%. His rates were reasonable and his assignments were tough but doable. Thank you Bert!

Scott Lee
04-05-2008, 09:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MichaelS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took some lessons with very good results from Bert Kinister from Flossmor, Illinois. My game went up 20%. His rates were reasonable and his assignments were tough but doable. Thank you Bert! </div></div>

Bert has not lived in IL for many years. He currently lives in Dallas, TX.

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
How come all the pool instructors end up in Dallas?
Is Wal Mart or McDonald's hiring down there???? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I bought a few of Bert's tapes, and a friend (Freddie) that you gave a lesson too had bought all of them.
I think he has some useful ideas, but could condense his material a bit.

JoeW
04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
When I enter "bertkinister.com" IE 7.0 seems to stall and cannot load te site. Does anyone have a better url or know how to log on his site?

slo89
04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I enter "bertkinister.com" IE 7.0 seems to stall and cannot load te site. Does anyone have a better url or know how to log on his site? </div></div>

Try this link. I'm new here so I hope I did it right.
http://www.bertkinister.com/

Steve

New2Pool
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slo89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I enter "bertkinister.com" IE 7.0 seems to stall and cannot load te site. Does anyone have a better url or know how to log on his site? </div></div>

Try this link. I'm new here so I hope I did it right.
http://www.bertkinister.com/

Steve </div></div>

Link worked fine for me in IE 7.0.5730.11 It loaded in less than 10 seconds.

VKJ
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
The great Ray Martin in Largo Fla. teaches and my guess is he is probably a brilliant teacher.

Deeman3
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I was going to take lessons from Bert but was afraid I'd win "millions and millions" like he has. The taxes would be terrible. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Cristina DLG
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I would like to add Rod Gustafson from Austin, TX to this list. He is one of the newest (1 of only 11) BCA Master Instructors, I believe he just received that status a few months ago. He holds hundreds of sessions per year and has created quite a name for himself in this area of the country. He does not have a webpage yet but I believe he will have one soon.

SKennedy
04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cristina DLG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to add Rod Gustafson from Austin, TX to this list. He is one of the newest (1 of only 11) BCA Master Instructors, I believe he just received that status a few months ago. He holds hundreds of sessions per year and has created quite a name for himself in this area of the country. He does not have a webpage yet but I believe he will have one soon. </div></div>

Doesn't he have the same last name as the Longhorn's baseball coach? Relation?

sidepocket3
04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Now I played pool with JOE CANTON the 1951 National Champion from 1958 till 1960. I have told this time and time again he did all the shooting and I did all the racking. Then I came up with the bright idea of mentally copying his stroke while he was shooting. With in 6 months of using this method I started running hundreds on him.

Your body cannot tell the difference between mentally shooting and shooting..A form of Pool that I call hitchhiking, I have seen other people use this word in articles but I have used this 48 years.

These two years playing Joe gave me a Doctors Degree in playing 14.1. Don Willis would always tell me Jimmy Moore said if he knew what Joe Canton knew about straight pool Mosconi would never beat him. It is easy to run hundreds when you don't shoot a hard shot.

<span style="color: #3366FF">FYI Joe Canton was 5ft 3 inches tall and was at a terrrible disadvantage on 5x10 tables. The first year they went to 4 1/2x 9 Joe won the National Title by running 110 balls and out on Irving Crane.</span>

Butch, for the record, Joe Canton wasn’t as disadvantaged on a 5' x 10' or 4 ˝’ x 9' pocket billiard table as has been suggested. From several write-ups/news clippings of that time the regulation 5' X 10' was replaced with the 4 ˝' x 9' as a trial run in the 1950 Chicago Worlds tournament. Joe Canton as you know, was a well established pocket billiard personality and competitor prior to and after 1950. As you've said, "It is easy to run hundreds when you don't shoot a hard shot."

sidepocket3

DSAPOLIS
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow... Gustafson made the list before I did...
???
I gotta start working harder.

&lt;sigh&gt;

JoeW
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Blackjack,

Naw you were one of the first ones on the list (see links on my site). In fact you have two links one to you and one to your books. Gustafson does not have a web site so I will have to find out if his email is public.