PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely rules question

1hit1der
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
In 8 ball, if you manage to pocket all of one group on the break (that's the unlikely part), what happens? The table's open and you can't hit the 8 ball. Your only option is to hit balls of one group, thereby giving you that group if you call the shot. But if there's a cluster or some other reason you don't think you'll run out, it would put your opponent on the 8 ball. If both of you think alike and just go for safeties, then I guess this would fall under the stalemate rule?

bsmutz
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Man, that's a big bunch of improbables. I've never seen an 8-ball game turn into a stalemate, but could imagine it if there were only one or two balls left. With 8 left, not likely. In this very unlikely scenario, I would either go for the runout, try to three foul my opponent if that option is available, or play a safe or two on the way to finishing up the remaining group. If my opponent did this, I would most likely tell him to take the 8 and the win. F the rules, if somebody gets that lucky, I say.

JJFSTAR
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
1hit1der, if such a thing happened most good pool players know that being left with 7 OB's on an 8 ball table with MOST table lay outs is a fairly easy run and also that safeing is usually very easy. I could be wrong but it seems to me that your thinking is that those 7 balls on the table are to your disadvantage. The opposite is true those 7 balls on the table are to your advantage; even if you have a problem cluster or 2. My best fish is the guy who tries to run out but just misses his last OB or the 8 ball, he just cleared the table for me and he is in MOST situations is at my mercy. So if this ever happens to me I am going to take those balls and if I have problems to solve I will solve them just as in any other game with good safety play or pocketing balls and bumping balls off the rails that don't have a clear LOS to a pocket or are in problem clusters while at the same time never giving my opponent a decent shot on the 8 if I miss. These are of course blanket rules, sure if the 8 ball is a duck that is not too deep in the pocket and more than 1 of your OB is sitting around it frozen to the rails you donít have too big of an advantage. But to throw that into the mix also in this situation is probably trillions to 1.

Heretic
03-21-2008, 06:29 PM
If someone got all seven on the break, I would probably shoot the 8 in, and put my stick away, because I know they will destroy me the very next game, and continue to do so until he got bored