PDA

View Full Version : joss, preadtor, lucasi, mcdermott or viking?

elgallo55
03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
which one of these pool cue brand do u like the best, feel more confortable with playing why...if possible i'll like to know whats the model number of that cue.

joss, predator, lucasi, mcdermott or viking

JJFSTAR
03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
McDermott, because IMHO they make the best overall cue for any type of player for the best price. If you are a cannon like player they have a shaft with almost as much action as something like a Meucci. If you are a sharpshooter they have a dampening shaft like a Predator. If you want to change the weight of your cue for any reason, simple order another weight and screw it in. I have the same butt I have had for over 20 years with an "I" shaft 2 (McDermott made 3). I also have a McDermott old school jump cue that I happen to have won and I can sail over half a table with it. I am considering getting a McDermott Dr. Popper jump cue because it seems to be a great new product. Also you can get more cue for your money just my opinion I will be anxious to hear what others think.

Bambu
03-22-2008, 09:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elgallo55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which one of these pool cue brand do u like the best, feel more confortable with playing why...if possible i'll like to know whats the model number of that cue.

joss, predator, lucasi, mcdermott or viking</div></div>

This is too vague a question. Some kind of price range would have to be set. In the 5-700 dollar range I like predator best, then mcdermott, joss, viking, lucasi last(though I never tried a high end lucasi, if there is such a thing). Couldnt say why, other than "it just feels better."

mbippus
03-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Ive only played with a $200 viking and an $350 McDermott. I liked the McDermott way better and ended up trading a guy my Viking for it. It seems to have less deflection, and is way easier to spin the ball with it. Fells like a softer hit to me.

Matt

Bambu
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbippus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive only played with a $200 viking and an $350 McDermott. I liked the McDermott way better and ended up trading a guy my Viking for it. It seems to have less deflection, and is way easier to spin the ball with it. Fells like a softer hit to me.

Matt</div></div>

The softer hit could just be a softer tip. Also its kind of unfair to write viking off because you liked the $350 mcdermott better. You might prefer a $1000 viking over the mcdermott you have now. I like mcdermott better too in general, but the price means alot. Its all about what you want to spend.

BigRigTom
03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I play with a Viking VX10 19.5 oz, LePro Medium Hard Tip
Love it. Nice solid hit both feel and sound. Well balanced not forward or back on the weight...I am 5'11" and the weight distribution is just right for my stance and grip. The 13mm shaft feels right in my closed bridge and the simple design appeals to my conservative eye. Canadian Birdseye Maple. Not overly expensive at just under $300 but not, in my opinion, a cheap cue either.

I have played with McDermotts and they are great feeling cues.

You didn't ask about Meucci but ......
I have played with Meucci (both red dot and black bulls eye shafts) and while I preferred the black bulls eye shaft I never really like the 12.5mm shaft and I could not get used to that twang when I hit a long hard cut shot.

Never played with Joss or Lucasi so I won't bother to comment on them.

Cornerman
03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elgallo55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which one of these pool cue brand do u like the best, feel more confortable with playing why...if possible i'll like to know whats the model number of that cue.

joss, predator, lucasi, mcdermott or viking </div></div>

Joss. Why? Because they're better.

Fred

1Time
03-23-2008, 09:45 PM

joss, predator, lucasi, mcdermott or viking </div></div>
I'm only familiar with the last 3 brands you listed. I would not recommend any model that I've shot with from them since I prefer Players cues to the 4 cues I've owned that were either Lucasi, McDermott or Viking. My reason for this is the diameter of the butt is smaller on the Players cues I've used, and that works better with my grip. Between Joss and Predator, I'd choose Joss, but only because of name recognition since I know little about their cues.

LWW
03-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Predator.

LWW

Bambu
03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Is that a target on his forehead, or some funky islam icon?

bluey2king
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a Viking my first cue, its OK but I love my Lucasi L-E75 with its brand new OB-1. I had a 314 on it until I bought the OB-1 and I like it with that shaft also.
My advise is buy the Cue butt you like the looks of and the type of joint that you like the hit of. I like the Uni-Loc then but one of the high tec shafts and you will have a cue that will win to any level of player you become. Like shoes not all feel the same to each player close your eyes and ask yourself which hit do I like better.