PDA

View Full Version : Quality Control Problems with Talisman Tips?

1Time
03-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I bought a Talisman Pro medium tip to put on my new cue. But before doing so I noticed one side of the tip is higher than the other. When placed on a level surface, the tip looks like it's leaning to one side. The top of one side sticks out farther than the bottom of that side. And the bottom of the other side sticks out farther than the top of that side. I measured one side with a ruler at about 5 mm and the other at I'm guessing 4.25 mm. I have no idea if this is enough to cause a problem that I would notice when using it, but I'm not at all satisified with this lack of quality control.

cushioncrawler
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
This "lean" wouldnt worry me. I uze my cue the "same way up" for most shots. The shaft iz ash, and i have the arrowz "up" and pointing away from me for most shots. So, i would put your Talisman on my cue with the thick side up, koz this side would get most of the action (ie for screw and stun mainly). Then, later, for me, i would find that with wear & tear & compaction this thick side would bekum thin, and in fakt would develop a "flatspot", making the qtip more forgiving for most shots -- beautifull. madMac.

1Time
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This "lean" wouldnt worry me. </div></div>
No worries here since I will be sending it back for a refund.

This 14mm tip leans so much \ \, trimming a normally shaped tip | | from it would make it less than 13mm, and I need a 13mm tip for this cue. Very poor quality control. It not only leans, but one side is shorter than the other. By the way, I bought it from Seyberts.

cushioncrawler
03-24-2008, 03:01 AM
I bort packs of 6 bluediamonds (9mm and 10mm and 11mm packs)for about $6 each, but i found that they were all too hard. And, i had some Triumph Tips (brown french tips with a red bakelite backing, from a friend, for free) theze too were too hard.

So, i put a Triumph on my best cue, and sliced the top off it to get it down to say 2mm thick (3mm inklooding the bakelite backing), then i stuck a blue diamond tip on top of it. Total thickness iz 6.5mm, and "it" plays nice, ie not hard and not soft.

Aktually, then, not satisfyd, i sandpapered a big flat side into the tip, and i uze this flat bit for all/every shots. Chalking iz eezy, one little stroke across the (sharp edge of the) tip and bobs your uncle.

Aktually, this cue/tip haz no ferrule. The brass ferrule became loose (earlyr), so i pulled it off, and trimmed the wood back to "good shaft". So, now, the bakelite backing iz my ferrule. Bewdyfull. madMac.

1Time
03-24-2008, 03:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, i put a Triumph on my best cue, and sliced the top off it to get it down to say 2mm thick (3mm inklooding the bakelite backing), then i stuck a blue diamond tip on top of it. Total thickness iz 6.5mm, and "it" plays nice, ie not hard and not soft. </div></div>
Interesting. I never read or thought of doing something like this before. Thanks

LWW
03-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Contact Tony at Talisman.

I'm sure he'll send you a replacement gratis.

They shipped me 3 of the wrong hardness once and shipped the correct 3 plus 3 more for my trouble plus told me to keep the 3 wrong tips.

LWW

Majic
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
After the tips is installed the lean will be gone. The tip will be symmetrical once it is turned down on the lathe. Some of Talisman tips are sort of lopsided but it looks to me like a result of the way they are pressed.. I have never had an issue with them used under normal conditions.

1Time
03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Majic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the tips is installed the lean will be gone. The tip will be symmetrical once it is turned down on the lathe. Some of Talisman tips are sort of lopsided but it looks to me like a result of the way they are pressed.. I have never had an issue with them used under normal conditions. </div></div>
I will be putting the tip on myself and without a lathe. And the lean is so bad and one side is shorter than the other so much that after I make it symmetrical | |, its diameter will be less than the 13mm needed to match up with the ferrule's diameter.

1Time
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Tony at Talisman.

I'm sure he'll send you a replacement gratis.

They shipped me 3 of the wrong hardness once and shipped the correct 3 plus 3 more for my trouble plus told me to keep the 3 wrong tips.

LWW </div></div>
You were treated this way because that's Tony's great business practice, and you bought direct from Tony. I bought from Seyberts so I will deal with them on the return. Thanks

1Time
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought from Seyberts so I will deal with them on the return. </div></div>
I called Seyberts, explained the defect, and was told I am now being mailed out a free replacement Talisman Pro medium tip.