PDA

View Full Version : Olympic torchbearer, withdraws to protest China!

AnitoKid
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Narisa Chakrabongse, one of Thailand's representatives in the Olympic torch
relay, has withdrawn in protest over China's recent crackdown on protesters
in Tibet!

Now, that's making a statement! And I kid you not!

*clipped news article (http://anitokid.blogspot.com/2008/03/anitokid-chronikos_2058.html)

Fran Crimi
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I really fear for the Tibetens. I don't think their protesting is going to have as much of an impact on the Olympics as they hoped and I fear that after the Olympics are over, China will crucify them for intentionally trying to discredit China during the Olympics.

This scheme could backfire on them pretty badly.

Fran

Deeman3
03-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I have heard that the Dalai Lama will resign if violence continues and, of course, he is the last of the Dalai Lamas picked by the Tibetans and, supposedly, by histroical record, the last in the line. Howver, the Chinese have planned, for years, to appoint his successor as a puppet to their political wants.

It is sad after such a long tradition that Tibet will be simply absorbed into China. I remember, on my visit there, that I was told 90% of the population were monks or other religous persons. This was in about 1985 and while very poor, a very colorful and friendly place. I still have a couple of the prayer wheels they gave me.

It did surprise me that they put up any physical resistance to the Chinese. I hope this becomes a political nightmare for the communists and that the Olympics highlight the plight of the Tibetan people.

Fran Crimi
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, I heard that the Chinese kidnapped the one who is supposed to recognize and name the Dalai Lama after he dies and reincarnates (I forgot the name they called him). No one has heard from this person since the kidnapping. It is presumed that the Chinese are holding him somewhere. They can't kill him because according to the religion he can reincarnate and again recgnize the reincarnated Dalai Lama. So, I'm not sure if this will be the last Dalai Lama or just a break until both are reincarted together where one can again recognize and name the other.

My cousin and his wife are supposed to go to Tibet with another couple to climb the holy mountain in July. They are still determined to go.

Fran

AnitoKid
03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Tibet remains largely cut off from the outside world. Foreign tourists and journalists have been blocked from entering the region. Moreover, activist groups with long-standing connections in Tibet indicated having difficulty finding out what was happening there.

sack316
03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Let's not forget good ol' France taking a huge stand. They will "consider" boycotting the opening ceremonies. Oooohh... that'll show the world.

Sack

LWW
03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget good ol' France taking a huge stand. They will "consider" boycotting the opening ceremonies. Oooohh... that'll show the world.

Sack </div></div>
Do you know why the streets of Paris are all tree lined?

So the German army can march in the shade.

How many gears are there in the transmission of a French battle tank?

Six. Five reverse speeds for quick retreat ... and one forward gear in case they get attacked from behind.

LWW