PDA

View Full Version : Do the pool balls listen to what you say to them?

Billy_Bob
03-24-2008, 07:41 AM
It seems quite common for players to shoot a shot, then talk to or yell at a ball in motion....

"Keep going!"
"Roll, roll roll!"
"Stop, stop, stop!"
"Block that ball!"
"No, not over there!"
Etc....

My question is do the balls ever listen to what you tell them?

Seems to me sometimes the balls listen, but other times they do not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

1Time
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Pool balls of course don't have the capacity to listen. How well the balls seem to obey the directions is another matter. However, such talk can help one learn and adjust for future shots and improve. And by the way, the players who are calmly moving the balls around at will are the ones to watch.

BigRigTom
03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey Billy_Boy, if it is any comfort, the balls don't listen to Pros either...If you watch Vivian Villarreal, or Janette Lee on TV, you will hear them talking to the balls all the time.
The balls don't listen though and they don't listem to me either...don't stop me from talking to them though.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Deeman3
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I always thought you could influence the object balls but the white one will never listen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Cornerman
03-24-2008, 01:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy_Bob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems quite common for players to shoot a shot, then talk to or yell at a ball in motion....

"Keep going!"
"Roll, roll roll!"
"Stop, stop, stop!"
"Block that ball!"
"No, not over there!"
Etc....

Seems to me sometimes the balls listen, but other times they do not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
</div></div>Of course they listen. But, they do the opposite of whatver you're yelling at them to do. If they didn't do the opposite, you wouldn't be yelling at them in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Fred

1Time
03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Much of the enjoyment I get from playing pool is from seeing the balls do what I want them to do. I would describe this as an "I will" and "they obey" type of relationship. And over the years we have developed a pretty good understanding of this. Of course this does not always result in perfection, but often I find close enough works quite well. And when this relationship does fail me (as it reliably does), I know it's ultimately because of me, and so I never blame the pool balls.

Sid_Vicious
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
If you holler soon enough, "Don't DO IT!" when you see the line being drawn for a scratch on an over stroked shot...they listen. These are contankerous objects, so talk asap, not before the last 6" before they drop. frankly, they probably don't listen, but it seems to average to your favor, and it pisses off the other player, and adds fun IMO..sid

cushioncrawler
03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
One of my billiardz mates sez that he can influence the ballz. And he sez he saw one other player (eddie) do it -- eddie made an opponent's objektball jaw-out when it woz a sure thing to go in. And my mate gave me a book about this stuff -- Psycho-Cybernetics (i think). Perhaps its what your opponent thinks that counts. madMac.

dg-in-centralpa
03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
The balls listen to me about as well as my wife listens to me. Very little...LOL It doesn't matter how much I curse at them, they won't listen.

DG - don't tell Mrs. DG I said this

Sid_Vicious
03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
"The balls listen to me about as well as my wife listens to me. Very little"

"Mary, Mary quite contrary, just as the pool balls roll" :-) sid

dr_dave
03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy_Bob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems quite common for players to shoot a shot, then talk to or yell at a ball in motion....

"Keep going!"
"Roll, roll roll!"
"Stop, stop, stop!"
"Block that ball!"
"No, not over there!"
Etc....

</div></div>Of course they listen. But, they do the opposite of whatver you're yelling at them to do. If they didn't do the opposite, you wouldn't be yelling at them in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Fred </div></div>Fred,

I think that is one of the best replies I have ever read on this forum. Good job!

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Billy, they do, but only if you add some body English.
I'm shopping for a new set for my home table...because the ones I have won't listen.

pooltchr
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Pool balls are just like cats. They hear everything that goes on in the room, and everything you say. Then they decide whether or not they are going to pay any attention!!

Steve

Vapros
03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I hate to point this out, but how many of you are out there speaking English to the Belgian balls? Obviously, it's a waste of breath. Also, who knows whether to speak French or Dutch? It can go either way. However, many people believe the balls understand some Filipino, especially the striped ones.

The only solution may be to shoot straighter. That does not brighten up my day at all.

Shaft
03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't yell at balls. I can move balls by shear mental will. In fact, I don't use a cue stick anymore. Once, I yelled at the CB after a scratch and it jumped back upon the table.

Excuse me, it's time for my medication.

SKennedy
03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't yell at balls. I can move balls by shear mental will. In fact, I don't use a cue stick anymore. Once, I yelled at the CB after a scratch and it jumped back upon the table.

Excuse me, it's time for my medication.</div></div>

I don't talk to the balls, but I do try to use body english to get them to do what I want.

dg-in-centralpa
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif