PDA

View Full Version : 7' Bar table - Side pockets vs corner pocket width

BigRigTom
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
We play APA at the Arena Sports Grill and Bar in Simi Valley, Ca.
They used to have 2 Nine foot tables and 3 Seven foot bar tables. Just recently they replaced the 2 Nine footers with 7' Bar Tables.

This one table was recovered and the rails redone....
Now the side pockets are 4.25 inches wide while the corner pockets are 5.00 inches wide (even that is a little tight on a bar table)!

Has anyone ever seen a table done this way?

It makes for some really weird experience playing pool, at least for me!

Cornerman
03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe not exactly those measurement, but most Valley and Dynamo Bar Tables I've ever seen has smaller side pockets.

Fred

BigRigTom
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe not exactly those measurement, but most Valley and Dynamo Bar Tables I've ever seen has smaller side pockets.

Fred</div></div>

Fred, are you're saying the side pockets are smaller than the corner pockets or smaller than some other bar tables side pockets?

I thought the side pockets were "almost always" slightly wider than the corner pockets.

dr_dave
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We play APA at the Arena Sports Grill and Bar in Simi Valley, Ca.
They used to have 2 Nine foot tables and 3 Seven foot bar tables. Just recently they replaced the 2 Nine footers with 7' Bar Tables.

This one table was recovered and the rails redone....
Now the side pockets are 4.25 inches wide while the corner pockets are 5.00 inches wide (even that is a little tight on a bar table)!

Has anyone ever seen a table done this way?

It makes for some really weird experience playing pool, at least for me! </div></div>See my answer here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/table.html#pocket).

Regards,
Dave

Cornerman
03-25-2008, 09:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe not exactly those measurement, but most Valley and Dynamo Bar Tables I've ever seen has smaller side pockets.

Fred</div></div>

Fred, are you're saying the side pockets are smaller than the corner pockets or smaller than some other bar tables side pockets?</div></div> Yes, many side pockets are smaller than the corner pockets of the same table on bar tables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the side pockets were "almost always" slightly wider than the corner pockets. </div></div>Nope. I think the someone realized that if you kept the side pockets big (that is, BCA specs. on side pockets) on a bar table, they take up too much space (hole to cushion length ratio).

Fred

KellyStick
03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't know what the rules are but one of the things I look for and let the team know about is the size of the side pockets on the bar tables. There are several places where the side pockets are quite small. Much smaller than the corners. Many people don't realize how small they are until after they try to shoot into them a couple times. I don't understand that last part but I beleive it.

On the other hand my 8 foot Olhausen at home has what I often refer to as HUGE side pockets. I can get 2 balls in them at once with plenty room to spare. The corners are not big enough for that. These bar tables with the tight pockets look about like 1.75 balls width only. Don't know the rules. Just know they vary from place to place... and know you better change your assumptions about what shots are easy and which are not before you commit yourself. Of course there is no such thing as hard or easy right? Regardless of all esle you have to just shoot the shot correctly.