PDA

View Full Version : Children's cue stick

Captain Video
03-25-2008, 03:30 PM
One of my grandsons, age 5, really wants to play pool on my 9' Brunswick table. The other one, not so much. So I hand him half of a two-piece cue - too short. A lightweight full length cue - too long. So I want to get a couple of kid's cues. What's a good length cue for a 5-yr old? Should they be using a step stool since they're shooting side arm? They're probably around 45" tall but they're growing fast so longer is probably better.

CV

Deeman3
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
At age five, for my daughter, I got a Meucci jump cue and she used it for a couple of years. Later you can use a jump/break cue broken down as a jump cue. Broken down as a long jump cue it would be about right for a while longer, I think. Otherwise, I have seen kid's cues on the internet and at events but can't remember who made them. I still have and use that original Meucci jump cue.

New2Pool
03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
I got my 8 year old a children's cue from Wal-Mart. I am not sure what the length is but it works well for him. We are still working on respecting the cue and will catch him using it as a Ninja Bo Staff every now and then. He does not hit anything with it but he does like to pretend that he is doing so. The great thenk about the Wal-Mart cue is that it is so cheap that I can talk to him about the need to respect the equipment without freaking out and overreacting.

I figure that once he starts showing the proper respect for his cue then I will invest in a better one but for now the cheap one works well. I did a search online an did find the following guide but I can't vouch for its accuracy.

And while I am not an expert on pool I would suggest that if you can get him to stand on something to elevate him enough to hit the ball properly then it will save him from learning bad fundamentals. However, the main thing is to make it fun because once he develops his eye and grows enough a couple of lessons with a good pro and a few months of practice can get his stroke corrected if he needs that in a few years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TROUBLE-SHOOTER-RESC...8QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/TROUBLE-SHOOTER-RESCUE-SHORT-POOL-BILLIARD-CUE-STICK_W0QQitemZ270222345338QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2156 8QQcmdZViewItem)

dg-in-centralpa
03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
When my daughter was younger, I got her a Stealth cue. They make 48 and 52 inch models for children.

DG

Sid_Vicious
03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
5 feet tall, get the Child to use a 58", 15-16 oz, definitely NOT a frog or stealth shortie, nothing less(and stay with it.) getting the proper form and instruction, unless they are only children, fun player. Enen with fun playing kids, the real 15-16 oz cues will kmake all of the difference down their learning curve. Make'm start with the right handle for stroking. These innocent and un-f-d up habit'd kids will really impress the starter world. festus

Heretic
03-27-2008, 01:07 AM
players makes short cue sticks.....my 7 year old daughter uses one

Deeman3
03-27-2008, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 feet tall, get the Child to use a 58", 15-16 oz, definitely NOT a frog or stealth shortie, nothing less(and stay with it.) getting the proper form and instruction, unless they are only children, fun player. Enen with fun playing kids, the real 15-16 oz cues will kmake all of the difference down their learning curve. Make'm start with the right handle for stroking. These innocent and un-f-d up habit'd kids will really impress the starter world. festus </div></div>

Huh? 5 feet tall is probably a bit tall for an 5 year old. At 45 inches, as specified, it's more like 3 feet 9 inches in Alabama math. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif