PDA

View Full Version : Teach pool at community college?

08-06-2002, 05:52 AM
The final meeting of a community college how-to-play-pool class took place in my local room last night. I watched while I practiced and found the whole thing very interesting.

There were four students, all women in their twenties. Each student had her own cue and single-cue case--nothing very elaborate, but good, solid stuff (all Viking, I believe).

The instructor was coaching the students through a set of doubles 9-ball. He was focusing on basic tactics.

It was good to see these young adults working their way into pool. I didn't get the chance to speak with the students, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some or all of them signed up for the course partly because they had been impressed by women's pro 9-ball on TV and partly because the course was there to be taken.

Something to consider: many community colleges solicit suggestions for new courses. If your local school doesn't offer a pool course, you or someone you know might be able to talk them into doing so. Colleges don't pay part-time instructors much for organizing and teaching courses, but a few extra bucks never hurts--and teaching could be a way to put something back into the game. I think I'll look into it myself.

XXX

Scott Lee
08-06-2002, 05:47 PM
This is something that I do for a living...teaching people to play pool in college settings. From giant universities to small community colleges, there are people everywhere clamoring to learn how to play pool! Several schools have hired me to come in and "teach" their teachers, along with setting up curriculums to follow. Having done this at several schools, I admire your resolve to do the same thing!
Good luck, and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Scott Lee

08-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Thank you, Mr. Lee. I'll get in touch with you if and when I go forward with this.

XXX