PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Pool States?

Bambu
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I used to think New York was pretty big when it came to its pool players. Then I lived in Florida for awhile, and saw that new york wasnt as big as I had thought. Not being all that well travelled, I wasnt smart enough to realize that the humidity sometimes drives more people to their pool cues than surf boards. I also hear that pool is pretty huge in Texas, but after that I am fresh out of answers. So tell me guys, what are the biggest pool states, and which are smallest?

SKennedy
03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know, but would speculate that the south, as a whole, is likely the biggest pool area...from Texas to NC and all points in-between.

BigRigTom
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Chicago is famous for pool halls, a pool table in just about every bar and some great folk lore related to pool. Since pool is an indoor and mostly night life type activity it only makes sense that the cities in the colder climates will be more saturated with pool players. Florida is big because everyone from the cold climates moves down there as soon as they have the money to leave the cold.

SKennedy
03-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I think you have a point about cold climate with respect to larger cities. Philadelphia is another place with a big pool history and I think that was the home of Mosconi. While the north has the cold, don't forget about our heat and humidity in the south. I prefer February to August in my neck of the woods!

There are a lot of pool players out there. It's just that for many, it's just something you do to pass the time while you are swilling a beer! Whereas, for most of us on this site, we just happen to do some drinking while we play pool.

Bambu
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks Tom, but is it all of Illinois or just chicago?

Bambu
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, but would speculate that the south, as a whole, is likely the biggest pool area...from Texas to NC and all points in-between. </div></div>

I am thinking the same, but cannot be sure. Thanks Kennedy.

CheeWaMee
03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
We like our pool here in Missouri. The heat & humidity of summer runs smart folks inside. Personally, my allergies are so bad it's either pool or go nuts. My husband is retired military & I'm pretty sure he knows most of the pool halls in the state because where ever (in state) they sent him... he found a pool hall, come to think of it - he found them out of state too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

jennycorvette
07-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Canada. Oh wait, Canada ain't a state.

At my first Vegas vnea tournament this year, I noticed a pattern in singles. The further north they were from, the better they shot.

And damn those Canadians. They're always good.

mike60
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
California has many great pool rooms.

mike60

Eric.
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Just across the river in NJ.

NJ has a decent amount of local bar tourneys, league play and several regional Open tournies (Blaze, Predator 9 ball, and Joss), as well as the newt9ball tour for the girls.

Eric &gt;Joysee