PDA

View Full Version : Sad personal news and to local APA...

sack316
03-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Wednesday morning a dear friend of mine, Lee "Lucky" Haddock experienced and brain aneurism and massive stroke while driving to work. Paramedics rushed to the scene but he was too far gone. His body was able to remain alive through life support, but unfortunately his brain was dead. His wife, Judy, decided to wait until today to pull the plug so that friends and family could have time to get into town. Finally, Thursday evening Lucky passed away on his own. I'd like to take a moment of your time to remember a wonderful man that touched my life.

I began playing pool for the APA of Montgomery many years ago. It was through this league I got to meet the Haddocks, Lee and Judy. A middle aged couple who embody what such a league is all about, playing a game that you love and making friends as you do it. And make friends they did! Now Lucky, well he is your typical comedic character nearly any poolhall has... except he went way beyong what you would expect. He was an absolute clown, always ready to fire with a plethora of the worst jokes you ever heard in your life. So much to the point that it got to where when I saw him coming I ran away, yelling as I would flee "you're not gonna tell me a joke today!" All in good fun of course. He was one of those guys who could somehow make you smile, no matter how bad things were. I had the good fortune of being extremely close with Lee and Judy, playing on teams with them and competing against them as well. We all even got to go to Vegas together. They are one of the few people that I allowed to get to know "me", as in the real me... the ups and downs of my life. The stupid things I've done, the good things I've done, all of it they were there for. Always there to listen, always there to help when I needed it... even helped some when I didn't need it. Lee contributed to me getting my life in order... hell he even contributed to me screwing my life up from time to time. But even though that part sounds bad, I know the reasons he ever contributed to any delinquency on my part was because he knew me... he knew I was determined to do whatever was on my crazy mind at the time, so if he was there with me he could keep an eye on me.

Even when I was at rock bottom and working to better myself, there was a time where it was in question whether or not I'd even have a place to live. In not so many words, Lucky made it understood that I would always have a place to go.

I could likely sit here all night telling stories and attempting to describe the man. But his impact was made very evident today by the sheer number of visitors that came by the hospital to check on Judy and everyone. It really showed what a family our local pool population is in this area, and beyond that it showed how loved and respected Lee Haddock was. Some say the true measure of a man is not in the things he has, but in the lives he has touched. I think Lucky touched more lives than he'd ever have imagined.

You will be missed old friend... and I sure hope God is prepared for all the bad jokes he will now be enduring. I'd give anything to hear one more from ya buddy... I promise I won't run.

Sack

LWW
03-28-2008, 04:12 AM
My sincere condolences for your lost.

May peace be upon you and all who knew him.

LWW

pooltchr
03-28-2008, 04:20 AM
When my time comes, I can only hope to have made that kind of impact on the people I have known through the years.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
Steve

Deeman3
03-28-2008, 07:16 AM
All our best to Judy and his friends and family.

SKennedy
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Sorry about your loss and that of his family. You honor him well with your memories. Truly good friends are hard to come by and I'd bet you meant just as much to him.