PDA

View Full Version : Cushion replacement?

CDM
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a used 8 yr old Brunswick brookstone 8ft table. Overall it's in good shape but the side cushions are pretty unresponsive and feel hard on either side of the side pockets compared to the middle of the cushions.

How difficult is it to replace the cushions - is it pretty straight forward to do it yourself or should a professional do it. Can the felt on the old cushions be reused on new ones so you don't have to replace all the felt to get a match?

Any tips and/or tricks would be appreciated.......thanks!

CDM

DennyS
03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
If you decide replace them be sure to replace all of them. You should have someone who knows how to do it and yes you will need new cloth. Should ask this post in " Talk to a Mechanic " forum section @ Azbilliards.com .

av84fun
04-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Unless exposed to environmental extremes, Brunswick's cushion rubber should last WAY more than 8 years.

It is HIGHLY likely that the bolts that secure the cushions to the rail have come loose. There are 3 bolts (I think) on each cusion segment and are easily accessible. Mine and I think most are half inch bolt heads. Use or borrow a socket wrench and tighten the bolts down to VERY firm torque but don't over do it and split the wood.

I re-tighten mine a couple of times a year.

I would SERIOUSLY consider arranging with your local dealer/mechanic to meet you to do a pre-purchase inspection. They should be willing to do that for 50 bucks or so and the promise of the move and set up work.

Regards,
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a used 8 yr old Brunswick brookstone 8ft table. Overall it's in good shape but the side cushions are pretty unresponsive and feel hard on either side of the side pockets compared to the middle of the cushions.

How difficult is it to replace the cushions - is it pretty straight forward to do it yourself or should a professional do it. Can the felt on the old cushions be reused on new ones so you don't have to replace all the felt to get a match?

Any tips and/or tricks would be appreciated.......thanks!

CDM </div></div>

CDM
04-03-2008, 05:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless exposed to environmental extremes, Brunswick's cushion rubber should last WAY more than 8 years.
</div></div>

Thanks for the responses. I thought they should last longer too and considered the bolts being loose but when I feel and push on the cushions it is very hard in some areas next to the pockets and soft in the middle of the cushions. This is why I was thinking the rubber is dry rotted and needs replacement. Wouldn't the hardness in some areas indicate dry rot?

Thanks again!

DeadCrab
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
It can also depend on the type of adhesive (and how much) was used to secure the pocket facing to the cushion-end and subrail.

Some contact cements dry hard as a rock, and some remain pliable.

Most facings are rock-hard, although use of softer neoprene is becoming more popular.

So, you could peel back the cloth, remove the old facings and glue, and replace with neoprene facings, using a good glue (3M or Barge). If this doesn't do it, then new cushions are needed.