PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on Jose Garcia's waggle

08-06-2002, 08:26 AM
Regarding last month's thread here on Jose Garcia's waggle of continually regripping the club...his waggle is now gone. I think there's something to be learned from that. I'm tooting my own horn here a little because I felt he was going through something and he needed to work it out. Others here felt he was unprofessional and were, I think, a little quick to condemn him.

Do we do that with pool players too?

Fran

Fred Agnir
08-06-2002, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Regarding last month's thread here on Jose Garcia's waggle of continually regripping the club...his waggle is now gone. I think there's something to be learned from that. I'm tooting my own horn here a little because I felt he was going through something and he needed to work it out. Others here felt he was unprofessional and were, I think, a little quick to condemn him.

Fran <hr></blockquote>
Sergio Garcia, right?

I watched Sergio on TV this weekend at the International. Still waggling, but not as much. More like Jack Nicklaus-amount of waggle.

As far as quickly condemming pool players, I think we are equal opportunists.

Fred

08-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Haha! I had just read a post here where someone quoted Jose Garcia. I was thinking 'Sergio' but typed 'Jose.'

Everyone has a waggle. I was referring to the extreme re-gripping that he was doing.

Fran

cheesemouse
08-06-2002, 08:49 AM
Fran,
I haven't gone back and looked but I'll bet I was one of those quick to condemn, also, being a betting man I would put my money on his "people" said "look kid we did a focus group on that coverage and we have never seen the negatives so high, so, loose the REGRIPING NOW." That was the end of his, as you say "working it out". Somethings are just plain STUPID and that was one of them. If he was just a social golfer with that twitch he would be socializing with no one.~~~~can't ride the fence on this one.....

08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Yep. Of course it looked stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if he was "told" to get rid of it. It was still up to him to decide when, since there was no indication of any fine by the PGA. The press would have been all over it if there were. If these guys caved under pressure of public scrutiny, they wouldn't be where they are. Nicklaus was notorious for slow play, and he was both warned and fined by the PGA on several occasions. He was criticized in the press for his slow play. TV coverage was either having to run long or cut off before the end of the tournament. It was creating a lot of problems for a lot of people. Know what he said about it? He said he felt badly that it was causing others grief, but, in essence, "I gotta be me."

Fran

cheesemouse
08-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Fran,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Nicklaus was notorious for slow play, and he was both warned and fined by the PGA on several occasions. He was criticized in the press for his slow play. TV coverage was either having to run long or cut off before the end of the tournament. It was creating a lot of problems for a lot of people. Know what he said about it? He said he felt badly that it was causing others grief, but, in essence, "I gotta be me."
<hr></blockquote>

I saw that interview and I would add this caveat: Nicklaus already had several major titles in his quiver and was the exalted ruler of the links at that time. He was the MAN that sold the tickets and jacked-up the ratings; much like Tiger Woods today. Garcia is an exciting young player with much appeal but with no majors to float his boat. If he doesn't produce a major win soon we will all be sitting around in the 19th hole saying things like "who was that Spanish kid who......." His rediculious pre-shot routine could only speed his decline and I believe he was duly informed of the thin ice he was treading on... If Earl Strickland wasn't a winner he wouldn't be invite to his own funeral.

08-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Ha! Good point. I guess we'll never really know for sure what went through his mind and what really prompted his change of heart.

Fran

cheesemouse
08-06-2002, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Ha! Good point. I guess we'll never really know for sure what went through his mind and what really prompted his change of heart.

Fran <hr></blockquote>
That is a fact.... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
08-06-2002, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Regarding last month's thread here on Jose Garcia's waggle of continually regripping the club...his waggle is now gone. I think there's something to be learned from that. I'm tooting my own horn here a little because I felt he was going through something and he needed to work it out. Others here felt he was unprofessional and were, I think, a little quick to condemn him.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

Fran, I only watched him the last couple of holes on Sunday.
I thought I saw a little regripping but if he did is was very limited. If it wasn't a regrip then it must have been part of his waggle. I noticed you said his waggle was gone.
I thought the thread last month was a bit ridiculous and like you said some people was to quick to condemm him. The comments of unacceptable, ruining the sport, etc, was just premature. I'm sure lots of people do that with pool players.

Regarding the waggle, there was a chapter in an old Golf Digest dedicated just to the waggle. It was an end of the year issue and over an inch thick. It was broke down to separate 4 parts. The forward press, kick in the right knee, the hand motion etc. I forget all it mentioned. It compared the tour players at the time and how each one of them did their preshot waggle. Some had a 1-4 waggle, others did a 1-3-4, some a 2-4, very very few with a 1-2-3-4, while some may have had only a 2 in their rythm. I've even seen a couple of pro golfers with mechanical backswings, like a three part swing, they were struggling with their game at the time.

I think we all have struggled at times, whether it's due to lack of confidence or an ongoing change in our game. Some golfers have worked on a single change for a year. The point is I'm sure their aware to a degree or more than we might think and just need to get thru that phase of their game. Jose Garcia?/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
08-06-2002, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Yep. Of course it looked stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if he was "told" to get rid of it. <hr></blockquote>
I've seen Sergio interviewed many times about his regripping. He knows it irks people and he is making a conscious effort to reduce the amount and time of waggles.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sergio and Interviewer circa 2002 Masters:</font><hr>Q. And also in that, what's going through your mind during all that time when you're doing that? Is it just trying to shake --

SERGIO GARCIA: It's gotten a lot less than what it used to. I don't know, I think that right now, I take a lot less time than most of the players over the ball. So, I mean, before I knew -- yeah, I knew that it was too long and I worked on it and I didn't feel comfortable over the ball; that's why I was taking so long.

Now, I feel a lot more comfortable, and, I don't know. I don't think I take that long over the ball.

Q. So you consciously cut it down?

SERGIO GARCIA: Yeah. More than anything, what it helped is that I worked on my setup. I didn't feel comfortable with the setup, so I was trying to find something when I was over the ball; that's why I was taking so long. But now that I feel a lot more comfortable, I don't have to take that long. <hr></blockquote>
Hope that helps.

Fred

Rod
08-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks Fred, I figured it was something related to confidence. It happens to all of us.

08-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Sure did help, Fred. Sounds like getiing rid of the waggle was a combination of both pressure from the outside and working through something within himself. He was told it looks crappy, he worked on getting rid of it, but he wasn't about to until he was ready.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
08-06-2002, 05:31 PM
In the pool comparison, its like watching Charlie Williams warm-up (practice strokes) before the final pause and then getting up and walking around the table and rechalking the tip for the 10th time.. then getting down and going thourgh the same routine.. only to get up a gain.. whewwwwwww.. slow..

I understand he plays even better under a shot clock.

Practice it the time to make your confidence better, you should be getting the strokes and grip under control at that time.. not during competition...

Just my thoughts. on the Sergio G. regripping and waggle.. topic.

PastPrime
08-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Sergio was "regripping" not waggling. Waggling is when the club is moved slightly forward towards the target and then back, usually over the top of the ball. This is usually done to preview the type of swing you want.
When they interviewed Jack Nicklaus and Sergio Garcia together they said that Jack had gone out of his way both by letter and by personal conversation saying how he had been penalized for slow play when he first went on the tour and how his slowness had bothered some of the other professionals and he suggested that Sergio cut back on the "regripping" as it really has no use. Sergio made the change beautifully.

08-06-2002, 10:53 PM
I thought I saw him forward pressing the club and then regripping and forward pressing again. Maybe that's not what he was doing.

I didn't know about any of the interviews. I got the information about Nicklaus from his autobiography. It's interesting that he talked about it in the interview. I guess I was on the same wave length as Nicklaus in comparing Sergio's regripping to Nicklaus' slow play. Huh, that's funny.

Fran

#### leonard
08-07-2002, 02:50 PM
I was only one of few people who rooted for Fat Jack and his porkpie hat. People think Tiger is better than Jack but Jack only played Golf part time where in my opinion Tiger is the poster child for abused child that turned out alright. No two year old wants to be on the Johnny Carson playing golf, you know it is his father pushing him to perform. After awhile he believes it is his idea to always be playing, he is playing to receive his fathers approval. I have never studied Psychiarty but I do belieeve a strong case could be made. ####