PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Final 4

Deeman3
03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I am very happy Memphis made the final four along with UNC, Kansas and UCLA. I was so sure the Tigers would let us down this year but even if they don't win another, they have made my year.

Congratulations to Chris Douglas Roberts for making first team all American.

I guess the real test starts next weekend.

pooltchr
03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I have to admit it is one of the strongest final four groups I can ever remember. I was torn watching Kansas and Davidson, since Davidson is a local (in our county) school with only 1700 great kids. I also have a personal connection with Stephan since my brother-in-law played with Dell at Virginia Tech. Dell says Stephan is better than he was at that age. He's also a super nice kid.
So now I'm still torn since Kansas plays my Tarheels this weekend. UNC for pride, but Kansas to win the pool at work. I think whichever one of those two wins Saturday will take it all.
God, I love March Madness!!!
Steve

sack316
04-01-2008, 01:40 AM
pretty exciting stuff... and for the first time since seeding began do we have all four #1 seeds in the final four!

But still, to me, the best part of March Madness is that baseball season starts /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My poor cubbies... all the "experts" are picking them to win it all this year on the 100th anniversary since their last championship... as if we didn't already have enough jinxes and curses!

Sack

LWW
04-01-2008, 04:23 AM
I'll trade you Dusty Baker back for Lou Piniella back.

LWW

SKennedy
04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Can't say there are lots of folks here in Texas that would share your sentiments. However, I for one, will get over it....since I'm an Aggie (Texas A&M). I'm hoping the A&M ladies make it to the final 4.

sack316
04-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Nah, I'm definitely keeping Lou over Dusty... sorry. But I sure do wish Lou would realize it's OK to play small ball sometimes.

I'm excited about Fukudome, he was the offense yesterday in what was an incredible pitchers duel... and made it look easy. he wears my number, plus it's gonna be fun to hear the different pronunciations of his name. Note: It's "foo-koo-dough-may".

Back to the final four, I think Memphis can easily do it if they can perform at the free throw line as they did in the last game. The supposed strategy to beat them is akin to the "hack-a-shaq" ploy in the NBA, but if they can knock down a high percentage at the line, I don't know how else to stop them besides just hoping to win an old fashioned shootout.

Sack

DickLeonard
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
pooltchr I love Nov Madness.####

Deeman3
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Back to the final four, I think Memphis can easily do it if they can perform at the free throw line as they did in the last game. The supposed strategy to beat them is akin to the "hack-a-shaq" ploy in the NBA, but if they can knock down a high percentage at the line, I don't know how else to stop them besides just hoping to win an old fashioned shootout.

Sack </div></div>

Sack,

Now that they made the final four, I am happy, no matter if they win further. It would be nice to see them get a little revenge on UCLA but I promised, if they made it this far, I'd not ask for more. I will be sweating the game this weekend. They are playing well, right now, but could easily trun into democrats at any time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DickLeonard
04-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Pooltchr I heard on the TV that March Madness cost employers one billion dollars in lost wages. Must be field day for the Bookies.####

pooltchr
04-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Well, my "Heels" didn't make it, but I can take heart in the fact that they only lost to the eventual national champions. That, and the fact that I will collect the cash when I go to work today!
Steve

hondo
04-08-2008, 05:42 AM
If Memphis had won, I would have won $150 in a pool.
Oh, well, never been too lucky.

Deeman3
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I was proud of Memphis coming so far. Congratulatins to a great Kansas team, they just wanted it more in the end.

What a finish. Sorry for the $150 loss Hondo but I lost a lot more.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

wolfdancer
04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Close.....but no cigar
Good game though....it's a cliche, but in a game like that...there were no losers !!!

Deeman3
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Wolfdancer,

I agree. A lot of people are saying they choked at the end but these are just kids and we need to remember how many of us, at any age, could do better. Although many play it as life and death, it's just a game and it was a joy to me to see my team do well.

Life is serious, college basketball should be fun. I can't remember so many great performances in a tournament, the kid from Davidson, Curry, and all the others. Its sometimes easy to put too much meaning on a single game of a tournament. I was proud of them all. Chris Douglas Roberts missed a couple of big free throws, so what? He gave me enough thrills the rest of the year to just be happy we made it there after everyone said we would not.

These are all good kids and at least they are not doing drive bys and robbing folks. Calipari has graduated 19 of 21 who did not go pro early. I measure him much more by that than one game.

sack316
04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
yeah deeman, I was thinking of you last night. I got home from work and came online to see the results of the game, and has happy to see it had yet to finish. So I turned on the TV with about 1:30 to go in regulation and got to watch from there.

It's all a matter of perspective as to whether Memphis let it slip away, or if Kansas grabbed it... but I will tell ya I am incredibly impressed with the maturity of the Memphis kids during interviews afterwards. They managed to not only take responsibility themselves for not sticking in the dagger, but at the same time credited Kansas with doing what they needed to do to make the comeback and the shots when they needed to. That's tough to do! No whining, no complaining. The character these guys seem to have developed will surely be much more valuable than a championship... and kudos to them not only for that but also for having a phenominal season capped off by one of the better tournament runs in recent memory. Championip or not, they had one helluva year.

Sack

Deeman3
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris Douglas Roberts and a couple of the other players. They are really great kids and have not let the spotlight ruin them. I've seen some racist comments on a couple of blogs about them and can't understand why so many don't like them. Hard workers, unselfish team players and good students.

You are right, they have showed class in the defeat which tells you more about them than a win would have. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Thanks for cheering them on. There is always next year. The Tennessee Women are still in the hunt but I thought they got lucky the other night. I would fear playing for Pat Summitt if she was really angry... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I think Summitt just has a reserved spot in the final four each year. Do they even have to play a regular season anymore, or do they just show up for the championsip game with UConn every spring?

Sack